Customs: Read This , please!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Insecticons, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Insecticons

Insecticons The different Kitbasher

Hey Radicons ,
    I asked this in 2 of my Threads , but no one was interested ... what suprise!
    Why are the Mid-Kitbashers ALWAYS getting ignored?

see , i posted really much Threads in the past , but since a few months , no one seems to really notice this...
    i know , there are much more Kitbashers out here that are also getting pissed of of this 2-Class-Society!

I really dislike posting my stuff here , cuz i know , it will get spammed away by a Classics Combiner or Movie Repaint after a few hours .
    Does even someone ever saw one of my customs?

And now , i dont want answers like ,, C'mon , youre doing this for yourself , not for the others '' , i want answers , why this two-class society excists!

I must ask for comments or even must push my threads so that someone notice them , the Pro-Bashers dont even have to say really much , but why?
    Its not really fair , is it?

This is not a critic , i dont want to say that you're bad people , but why always saying ,, Do this for you ?''
    Someone whos doing this for himself does definitaly not sell his customs for a huge bunch of money!

i remember Limewire did a similiar Thread a few months ago , but there was no result.
    I Only want to know why the Mid- Kitbashers and Beginners arent getting the comments they regret , and why this Two-class Society is always getting worse!

C&C is welcome , call me an idiot , give your answers , i want the truth , cuz i know that i am not the only one who is thinkin like that!

Regards from Germany , Insecticons.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I don't see it that way, I just see a huge influx of customs and customizers since the movie and since I started posting here. The pages are fairly saturated with customs so its easy for something to get pushed back two or more pages in a day.

3. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Hi insecticons, nice to see you again, i totally agree with you in all what you wrote. Only the beginners and the masters get answers, the midclass are getting ignored.

No one of the pro post in this threads, or its a very very single moment. The only guys who post in threada are redline, plowking, encline, chris morada, creg and and few more.

But i never saw sabsabby or frenzy rumble in one of my threads, espeacially with fr this is frustrating for me, cause he is my idol here- everybody knows that.

So thats my statement

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The answer to why "Pro" customizers get more comments than others is pretty obvious I think. Lots of people follow them because of their work and love to comment on said work. As for all the Movie and Combiner customs, people flock to them cause thats what's hot, if attentions what you want then try something along them lines out.

As far as pro customizers not commenting on my customs and other stuff i know for me its just the fact that I am usually very busy. With a list of more than twenty projects that are all being paid for it is hard for me to browse all the forums I post at to comment on all the new customs. Is sad but that's the truth. I do say that some have contacted me for advice on a finished custom asking me for a critique or a kind word on their thread and I have always obliged them when I have the moment to do so(instead of playing games or something when I am not working). Threads like these will not help you to be honest, at least not from where I am standing. Being direct with what you want will always get you further. If you want Sabrina to comment on your work for some reason, PM her and ask her. No body is trying to be a jerk here, in fact most pro customizers love to help and contribute for the sake of many so its quite the opposite. Time is just not on our side is all.

Bottom line, no body knows you when you first start(or when you are a "mid" basher on your way to becoming more if thats your desire) so that means you have no fans that follow your work. This is unavoidable truth and can only be rectified by more customs, more activity, innovation and less complaining. Not trying to be mean just trying to be honest, take it as you will.

5. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Oh, thats pure fun and unlogical! :)  cause you have fans, is why you DO NOT post ad midbashers an DO post at beginners? Thats weird!

6. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LMAO I know I make it a habit to try and reply to every comment I get as I am extremely grateful for them. Others might do things differently and post a more generalized thank you instead is all. I know when i was new to this I posted a lot more than i do now, more posts mean more exposure, and if your goal is more comments or whatever then that makes sense right?

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling discouraged when someone's work gets more exposure than your own. It's human nature. I know I've felt that way a few times. I'm not going to get into the politics associated with these kinds of threads because, quite frankly, they never end well and tend to bring out the worst in people.

That being said, if you want more exposure and more comments, you need to post more and continue getting your name out there. That Lego Chromia was a very good example. Another sure way to get attention are through ROTF and G1 combiner projects. A lot of scratchbuilds and massive custom projects tend to get a lot of hits as well.

Personally, I know my Gobot customs aren't the best thing on here. And I'd say you were lying if you said otherwise, but I'm in this hobby for myself. I have one WIP commission under my belt, but I'm not going to make a career out of it. I'm doing it for myself and for those individuals that enjoy what I do. That's it. If I want more comments, I'll be sure to aim for something big, yet obscure.

8. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Very interesting argument, here. Heck I post my artwork and I get a few people so thats cool with me because I know as well that some people are busy with other things. I'm not disrespecting you, its just human nature, like someone just said.

9. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    +1..... you have to pay your dues as well. The more quality work you make the more you will get noticed. The more you create new and unseen projects, the more you will get noticed. You will know when you are getting fully noticed by others when people start hating you and accusing you of "stealing" or not giving them credit for "their" ideas. Some people are VERY competitive, especially when they do this for a living. I look at this as a hobby that I love and I do it for pure fun. I have never, and will never, take a commission because I want to be able to make what I want to make, when I make it. Then I pop then on eBay and let the public decide what they are worth.

Don't get discouraged when some of the big boys in this hobby don't comment on your projects, it is nothing personal. I do understand where you are coming from as I used to take it personally when people would not comment on my projects.... but I actually look at it as a compliment now! At time steh customizing community does come across very "cliquey", but you find that where ever you go. It's life. Just keep working for fun, and refine your craft and people will notice.

10. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No offense meant here..... but maybe you need to step up your game? make something will make people go WOW!

Guess what, Frenzy-Rumble has not posted in one of my threads recently.... but I was looking back at some of my customs from 2007 and guess who posted several times? Yep.... Frenzy-Rumble.

Things happen and F-R is a busy dude. What do you feel the need to get responses from everybody? How will it help you? Keep working for yourself and do this for FUN and the anger will leave you. HAVE FUN.

11. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd consider myself a mid-class, and I don't feel like I get ignored. Then again, a high post count for one of my threads isn't exactly a top priority of mine, either. I post what I've got, if people comment on it, great. If they have tips for improvement, even better. If they don't post at all, oh well on to the next one.

As Tony, Satomiblood, Zildjian and others have said...a lot of times, it depends on what your project is.

12. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think its a "class" thing. More like posters replying to what they like. Or at least that is what I noticed in the FanArt forum. It does get frustrating to not see anyone reply to your post, especially after half a day or more. Being here at TFW2005 for so long, I've come to the conclusion that other posters will only post a comment if it interests them, other wise they won't care. I've done some tests, like commenting in everyone's art thread. The result was only 15% of them would reply to mine. Most other artists are only concerned for themselves, and don't care about others works here usually, or they post on other TF sites too, so are not part of the community here. Personally, I now just go by the rule of thumb that since I like comments, I will give others comments. And even if it doesn't result with a single person commenting on my work, at least I won't look like a hypocrite. :D  This rule has also helped me to get to know other artists here. :) 

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  13. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmmmm, you are asking for more of what has been said in the thread you mentioned. We can;t change the answers if they were not what you wanted.

Here is an example, my Devastator had like 9,000 views and 10 pages of comments. Why? Well, I kept it interesting.

Now when I posted the finished constructicons, I think I had like 100 views and maybe, maybe 6 responses.

What does that tell you? One(the combined Devastator) was MUCH more interesting than the other.

You want truth, here it is with as much respect as I have.

There are different levels of artist. There, I said it. The truth is out. It has to do with what you got and what people like.

Look at all types of art, as stated above by VENKSTA who is a line artist.

I am also a musician. So when I play at a show, do you think I would get as much love as the guy everyone knew? Of course not.........DARN YOU INTERPOOL....DARN YOU.........

Then, threads like this do not encourage anything. They just push so much negativity. How much time and energy and thought went into writing this. How much of that time could have been thinking about way to improve your skills, reading tutorials on here, practicing taking pictures.

And LIME WIRE- I thought I was your idol......now I will never post in your threads again..........:p ....just kidding.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  14. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Why is there a Two Class Society ? Simply put human nature makes it that way.
    Is it fair ? No, not at all. I'm no "pro" (nor do I want to be) & I'm not a mid level basher.
    I'm something in between. I remember all to well when I first hit the Radicons, I would endless get frustrated by the "pros" threads getting all the attention & my own getting 300+ views but only 9 comments (two of which were my own). Did I stop posting my work?
    NO !!! I let each custom I posted speak for themselves & took each view that did not comments as a "challenge" to become better.
    Look at me now. TFW Radicons Mod, 2 times placing at TFCon in the 3D art contest (2nd & 3rd), Running my own Youtube channel & inspiring many others to try their hand at customizing.
    I still to this day have threads that fall by the way side. My TFA Meltdown being the most recent. Animated is not what's "hot" right now. ROTF & Combiners are. Will I change to fit the fads? HELL NO !!!! I can't stand the ROTF toy line. Animated, Classics & Alts are my "bread & butter".
    At the end of the day. I can honestly say, I am very proud of my body of work & I will stand it toe to toe with ANY other customizer out there. Should I fall? Oh well, it would just drive me to "step it up again".

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  15. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Well said NP :thumb 

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I hate to answer a question with a question, but how many threads do you post in?

In Radicons, I see all types of customs getting all types of comments from all types of artists. When I jump onto Radicons, I see artists posting in threads. Aside from certain groups trying to do certain things intentionally, this is what I see.

My advice to you is comment on others' work and make friends. Do the best work that you can, and share. You may get 5 comments or 50, but if you're determining how great your work is by thread views, post counts, or a buncha gold stars, you may want to reconsider why you're bashing.

I think NP is saying a lot of good things here. I enjoy making Alternators customs. I love to see other customs, and I think they're great, but it's just not what I want to do. Sometimes a simple headswap makes me happy. I've never thought that every single custom has to reinvent the wheel, whereas others are trying to do that with their work. Know yourself as an artist, and push yourself as an artist to do your best.

If you don't think your work is up to par, look for ways to improve. We've a whole slew of tutorials as well as a ton of artists who know their craft. Utilize your resources.

I don't advise anyone to think of themselves as "second-rate" or some kind of "mid-class" anything. This is the beauty of Radicons. Anyone can post here with any skill level.

I'd also like to add that we front page gallery updates periodically. We gallery any level of work. We front page galleries that meet the guidelines we set forth. We also spread out the updates where it's not being hoggish to one artist. I'd say that's a good way to get exposure as well.

17. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    this.
    you shouldn't bash cause people tell you too. you should do it cause you want to. you shouldnt mind too much about who replied... or how many stars you have.... you do it cause YOU like it. YOU are the only person that actually knows what/how much work was put into it. do as everyone says. it's the RIGHT way.;) 

18. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Who ever said that combiners are hot?!?! :) 

No actually in all seriousness, even combiners (from the same artist...and yes I mean me) start to fizzle on these boards here and there. What I do like are WIP threads where you are allowed to comment on the figure and make suggestions to tweak things along with the artist. It's tough for me to suggest critiques on completed projects but on incomplete projects like Satomiblood's go-bots (which call me a liar but I love:wink: ), it's fun to watch them grow and change with your suggestions like Cy-Kill and his sword.

Constant updates works too for drawing more interest. I like seeing the progress.

19. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I don't think its really all that bad. Projects which have a subject which is broadly appealing (like a G1-themed repaint) and are well executed will always generate more replies than those that lack those qualities.

I'm guilty of not posting in your threads, Insecticons, and upon reviewing his projects, I see why. While I think the workmanship is pretty good in all cases, at the same time, they're also more-or-less monochrome non-character-repaints and kinda weird "Trash Builds" (Insecticons' term, not mine). Again, pretty good work in all cases, but nothing I'm really interested in.

EDIT: I just checked again, and your Afterburner is pretty nifty :)  But I also notice that most of your threads are really self-depreciating. "Nothing interesting to say, I was bored" "Just something I threw together" and the like usually start your posts. The work itself is really the important thing, but even when you're just hoping for some replies, it helps to try and sell your work a little!

Now, I've put my money where my mouth is, a LOT of money where my mouth is. I've commissioned Frenzy_Rumble, Encline, Sabby, TransTorTure, and a number of other "big names" and semi-big names. But I've also given first-commissions to Satomiblood, Solrac333, and others. And thrown a bunch of work to artists in between.

I never think about "Is this a popular person?" I only ask myself "Is this a person who's work I'd like to own?"

D/L

20. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    One day....I'll be a "big name".:D ream: