Read Sinestro Corps special(spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It has every thing we have been waitng for, Green Lanterns Deaths, Cyborg Superman, Superboy Prime, Parallax! This is the best Gl Story since the Return of Jordan!

2. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    They really do have a power house team now... and they all work for The Anti-Monitor :eek: 

Poor Kyle...

and we finally get the Cyborg-Superman interrogation that was promised back in Green Lantern #17. :p 

3. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

It was a great issue and it should have repercussions throughout the DC universe or perhaps all 52 of them. Does this tie into Countdown?

4. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
  5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to check this out later!!! Is that the anti-monitor I see in the pix?!

6. ABH1979

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Is it? I thought it was Ronald's friend Grimace. I'm not that excited now. :( 

7. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    So... was that Kyle there? Or did Kyle die? I R Con-fuseeed.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Parallax is posessing Kyle like he did Hal

9. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I could be wrong, dude...nut the big dude looks like the anti-monitor - design-wise...

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished reading this and really impressed with it as well. I like how the Sinestro Corps isn't being portrayed as just stereotypically evil. They have a realistic, understandable goal and not just some stupid supervillain plot to annoy the Guardians and bother Hal for a couple of issues. I'd been looking forward to this issue for awhile, but now I'm really excited about this story and can't wait for the next issues to see what happens.

Quick run-down of events for those interested...

Sinestro monologues in the "fear lodge" and activates his ring, saying the Sinestro Corps oath. On Earth, Hal and the Justice League go after Professor Zoom, who was in the Secret Society along with Sinestro, but Zoom has no information to provide. In sector 424 a pair of Green Lanterns encounter one of the Sinestro rings passing through the sector and are assisted by Ion, who shows up and traps the ring. We also see that there are hundreds of Sinestro Corps rings zipping around the universe. Bedovian is awoken and takes aim at Oa. Next is the Guardians' interrogation of the Cyborg, although it seems to be more of an "after-the-fact" summarization by the Guardians, reviewing what the 52 is and Henshaw's knowledge of it; we also see a potential rift forming in the Guardians. The prophecy Abin Sur received is Ysmault in the old Alan Moore story is mentioned as well. Gardner comes off "Prime Duty" and meets with Kyle, Hal and John in the mess hall on Oa; Kyle still totting around the trapped Sinestro Corps ring. Kyle is depressed and feeling lost, brought on by having to miss the reading of his mother's will. This emotion causes the Sinestro ring to break free and teleport Kyle to Qward. Kyle breaks free of the Sinestro ring's control in time to see a gathering of thousands of Sinestro Corps members, who proceed to notice and attack him. Meanwhile, the Green Lanterns on Oa are starting to fly off in search of Kyle when Bedovian begins picking them off from a distance (all headshots). A rift is opened between the universes and a squadron of Sinestro Corps members, led by Karu Sil, attack Oa. Back in Qward, Kyle is defeated by Amon Sur, Sinestro and the other Sinestro Corps members, but refuses to give into fear. Scene shifts back to Oa and John Stewart takes out Bedovian with a long-distance shot of his own. Before the tide of battle can turn or anyone can celebrate, a swarm of GL rings flies overhead searching for replacements for dozens of dead GLs...followed by an explosion which reveals Superboy-Prime has been freed! In Qward, Sinestro performs a little 'surgery' and extracts the living embodiment of willpower (which resembles a cetacean) from Ion and imprisons it in a yellow chamber. Kyle still refuses to give into fear, until Sinestro reveals that the disease which killed Kyle's mother was actually Despotellis and he questions how many more loved ones Kyle will lose. Kyle becomes afraid and is taken over by Parallax, with his outfit resembling a combination of Hal's Parallax suit and Kyle original GL costume. Some time passes and Kyle and Sinestro travel to Oa where Kyle is introduced as the last of the "heralds" for the "guardian" of the Sinestro Corps, with another two having been freed from the science cells. The issue ends with Cyborg, Superboy-Prime, Kyle and (I'm assuming) Sinestro revealed as heralds for...the Anti-Monitor!
    Issue ends with a "Tales of the Sinestro Corps" back-up dealing with Sinestro's first encounter with Hal.

Spoilery comments on the last page...

Really like the outfits for Superboy-Prime (who has a perfect bad-ass jerk expression), Parallax, Sinestro and the Cyborg, my only criticism would be that the Anti-Monitor's Sinestro Corps symbol looks to be Photoshopped in place and looks awkward in that position. Other thing I noticed is that the Cyborg has at least seven Sinestro Corps rings that we can see (three on the left hand, four on the right). Did they just give him a bunch of extra rings for the hell of it, or is he able to build his own (they are machines, after all)?

A short appearance, but well worth the wait. I can see why they bumped it back though; IIRC, 52 hadn't ended by the time GL #17 was out and they probably didn't want to spoil the mystery.

Brings me to another criticism though: Much as I love that Johns has brought the Cyborg Superman back as a major threat, I'm still trying to reconcile the character's continuity. Way back in the '90s, Henshaw got out of the Source Wall and went on to have some adventures in the Superman comics before being dumped in the Phantom Zone and largely forgotten about. From the way the Guardians are talking, he stayed in the Source Wall until the Manhunters picked him up and that stuff in the Superman comics never happened. I'm assuming this falls under the category of "reality punch" or "Infinite Crisis continuity change", but it still bugs me.

11. ABH1979

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    That was my failed attempt at being funny.

Yeah, that is Anti-M.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm disappointed by what they're doing with Kyle here (I like Geoff Johns, but he tends to write Kyle as still being a bit of a dumb rookie after all these years), but that aside this issue opened the Sinestro Corps storyline with a bang. I'm definitely looking forward to watching this play out in the GL books (especially if it makes GL Corps a more exciting book). I'm really digging the Sinestro Corps and it's newest members. It's nice seeing Van Sciver's art on GL again, he really does wonders with these characters.

Aside from Kyle's ass-kciking, the only problems I had with this issue were that Arisia only had a cameo and Guy wasn't on every page. Every comic needs more Guy Gardner. :D  I also could have done with less John Stewart, but he wasn't around enough to bring in the full force of his boringness.

13. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I loved the hell out of this issue and can't wait for the next chapter. I wonder if Kyle's playing the Sinestro Corps? I'll bet he's the only other man not named Hal Jordan who is capable of bending Parallax to his will.

14. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Though I'm not really much of a GL fan, I really liked this book. The GL concept has always interested me, but I felt too bogged down by continuity to hook in. Loved the art, very interested in the story. Now I wish I would have kept Ion in my pull.

15. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Alan Scott would have absolutely no problem overpowering Parallax through sheer will. Unfortunately, he's usually left out of big GL stories because he's so different.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

this was freakin awesome. love the whole ion thingee too. it took me a while to figure who that was (figured it out to be anti-m in the backup story)

they give cyborg-sup the shield s logo and suprime gets the circle

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm not a big DC fan, but this series looked entirely too promising not to check out.

I haven't had a chance to pick it up from my shop yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Just hoping it doesn't end up mired in tiny little DC continuity details like some of their other big stories seem to do.

18. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Yeah you're probably right. I don't understand why he's left out though. He's as different to the other GLs as Ion is, his friggin name is Green Lantern and he's got some ties to the Corps, even if they are just Hal, John, Guy and Kyle. Maybe he's too busy not having both eyes to participate.

19. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    No problem dude...sometimes off the wall comments just leave me stump! :D 

20. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Because a comic with lots of Alan Scott and Guy Gardner would be so awesome the pages would burst into flame.