Reaching My Goal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'm practically in love with my Imac computer that I have at home. Problem is, it's not portable at all. I'm after either a 64GB Ipad, or a 500GB Macbook Pro.
    I've posted another thread concerning a sell of my old Sony Vaio desktop. My goal is to either reach $900 for the Ipad, or $2500 for the laptop.
    My Dad and I have sold two computers so far at $200 each. Since one was sold on ebay, it's a sad fact that ebay's fees has eaten up most of the first $200. Plus I used most of it in trying to sell more computers that had no luck. My Dad's got three Compaque tablet computers that we were trying to sell last two months and the fees sucked. No luck selling them, and we're now going to try to sell them separately instead of one package. Problem is, I don't think their going to sell at all.

I'm slowly contemplating selling off my TF collection. Only problem is, I've spent this past year building it and there are some I don't want to get rid of as I'll never be able to find replacements for them. On the other hand, I feel like it's time to grow up and not have so many toy's. I think I have approximately 800-maybe 1000 dollars worth of Transformers as I've got several worth $200 a piece. So it may be a lot easier to sell the collection and obtain my laptop.

There's also the possibility of trying to save money. As you know by now from my want list, I have a budget of $400/month. I could easily get the laptop in a few short months. But my problem is I honestly don't know how to save money. I want something, I have $200, and I spend it. All my life I've really never learned how to save money. Really never needed to much. Sometimes I feel lucky in that respect, other times I don't cause it's such a damn hard lesson. There are a lot of things I want that I just can't save for.

I understand the words "priority, and prioritize". But, I have trouble doing so.
    Is my collection of 88 Transformers worth enough to make it worth selling off and getting my laptop? Is my laptop worth selling off my collection?

Only reason I want a laptop is to take my Itunes, internet, and movie collection with me on trips. Maybe use the laptop a few times while watching TV, or just as I go to bed.

My Dad goes away on trips for most of the year and I'm home taking care of the house, garden, the cat, and sometimes his dog. If I go with him on a trip, we usually go flying in his airplane and sometimes get stuck somewhere due to weather or minor airplane problem. Those times, I often wished I had a laptop with me for entertainment and communication with friends. Or visiting relatives I see them with their laptops and I wish I had my own.
    That said, as I rarely go anywhere, is it even worth having a laptop or Ipad?

Sorry for this long post, but I'm kind of confused as to where to go at this stage. I still want a ton more TF's and I have several on the way. So I really don't want to start selling anything right now till all are here. Even then it seems silly to sell them right away as well. And don't even mention getting a job. That just isn't going to happen for a long time.

How hard is it for you guy's to save money? Are any of you in the same boat? Do you sell or save?

2. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it is hard. especially for things like equipment i need. i am trying to save up $1000 just one pocket magnifier.

it means that i have to put a lot of things on the back burner. with my TF collection, that means the first things i strike off my expenses is eating out. I'd rather miss Chinese take out or a night at my favorite Japanese place than skip on a TF i know i won't see on a shelf again. (Skystalker, anyone?)

After that, i cut out entertainment- movie outings, trips out of town, etc.

so it is hard, but doable.

3. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    It sounds like you have 'rich boy syndrome'. My ex-husband had it, and it ruined us financially because he couldn't understand how not to spend spend spend on whatever he wanted. Trouble is, he didn't have his parents' money anymore, he had a regular person's salary. And it always had to be the newest and latest version, he refused to buy anything used or even a cheaper version.

You're going to have to buckle down and learn how to wait and NOT SPEND. Enjoy all that stuff you already HAVE! Look for deals! Put those Transformers purchases on hold for a month or so - its not like they're going to disappear off the face of the earth if you don't buy them NOW. Learn how to say 'NO' to yourself and STICK WITH IT.

If you think the lessons are hard now when you're a teen, when you're an adult they will be EVEN HARDER because you will be risking losing your house/car/job/family and could end up on the streets. Your parents won't always rescue you then.

--Moony

4. Tigertrack

Easy to say that if I was a teen. But I'm 36. I'm not going to go into my life's history as to why I'm still at home, but this is who I am. I'm very fortunate to have a great family and an awesome Dad and yes I know he won't be there forever. But that's not what this subject is here in this thread.
    Question is, save or sell?

5. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I would recommend saving up for the computer instead of selling your collection now. It sounds like part of your problem is that you "need" to have the item immediately and making yourself work towards this goal would be something that could do you some good.

Another option is to get an iPod. There are many different versions that can do what you are looking for and are much less expensive than either an iPad or laptop.

6. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Sounds like you need a "sugar mama"!

7. Tigertrack

I've already got an Ipod, but I find it's screen to small for movies, and it won't connect to the internet. It is great for music though, but just too small for movies in my opinion.

8. Tigertrack

Believe me, I'd love to find one! LOL!

9. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're quite young and not working, and you manage to have monthly TF "budget" of $400? Lucky you. I work, save what I can, pay bills, and on occasion I'll spend up to $300 on TFs in a month (but I consider that a lot, I try and keep it under $100).

The key is: the earlier you start saving, the better. When I started working, my parents set up a pre-authorized out of my bank account so around half my paycheck(!) automatically goes into savings. It sucked at first, but then I got used to it. I currently still have a pre-auth. coming out. I budget with what I have leftover after, use it to pay bills, then look at the extra stuff (toys, going out, etc.). The main purpose of the savings is not in case a mint Fort Max shows up on eBay and I wanna hit the BIN button, but for a house in the future (damn you, housing market!) or possibly emergency funds. You know, the real important stuff in life.

As far as selling your computers, I'd say just get what you can for them and call it a day (regardless of fees). Technology progresses so fast, you'd be lucky if anyone's willing to by your used tech at all. And if you're buying a new laptop or iPad, make sure you know this is something you'll keep for a while ("x" number of years) and not get the urge to ditch it a few weeks/months down the road for something else newer and shinier.

Edit: didn't see that you're 36. While I don't know your personal situation (and yes I've being quite judgemental) I'd say it's time to get a job. You want to buy all these toys and things without an income? And save?! Do the math.

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, this is just my :2c: 

Transformers- I wouldn't sell them just yet. Most of that stuff you brought isn't going to turn a profit, in fact, you would probably end up losing money.

Ipad- You know I want one as well and i've decided on buying the next generation model. 900 Dollars for an ipad? Yikes... just think about how that sounds. 900 dollars just to play your movies on a larger screen while your on a trip. The next gen model will have more space and it will probably be cheaper so i'd just wait.

Mac Pro- Oh gosh, my buddy just got the 2500 dollar 17in macbook pro. It was 2500 after the discount because a friend of ours works at apple and she hooks us up with a 15% discount:thumbs2: . Honestly, that machine is a beast but he needs it. He does graphic Design and autocad work on his mac.

For him, It was worth it because that Computer makes money since he uses it for work. 2500 dollars just to watch Movies? I'd say... buy a macbook.

Sell or save....

I would probably do both. Sell the toys your not absolutely in love with and stop buying Transformers now.

11. Tigertrack

I've had my Imac for a year and a half now and have no plans on getting rid of it. It's working perfect.y. I've had an Iphone for same amount of time but kind of want to upgrade that, although that's not important since it still works great. I've had my Ipod for probably half a year longer than I've had my Mac.
    Electronics I find a lot easier to keep on hand than selling toys. As you said, ditching something in a few weeks time.
    I'm still debating between Ipad and Macbook as well. While one will be harder goal to reach, it may do a lot more for me than the simple Ipad will. Upgrading my phone, well, whenever....................
    When it comes to electronics, I purchase it in plans of keeping it for it's life time.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Life > toys, of any kind, at any time.

Learn this now or be a part of the growing nationwide poverty.

13. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'd suggest just putting off purchases that are not immediately necessary. You see stuff you're about to buy, just think maybe you'll get it next time and leave without it. Most things will still be there next week, next month etc. There's a bunch of stuff I want to get, but I figure I'll get around to them eventually. What I find then is with some of these things, after a couple months I've either completely forgotten about them, or lost interest or they've just gone way down my list of priorities. If that's the case, maybe I didn't want them so much in the first place.

Another thing you find is that they frequently come down in price. I put off buying dvds some years back in anticipation of Blu-ray. Most of those titles are still available, and the vast majority are now a fraction of the cost. The same goes for electronics. I was going to get a laptop a while back, but when I thought about it, I knew I wouldn't have immediate use for it, or much time to use it. I could buy the same laptop now for a much better price, or get a higher spec one for the same price.

Transformers can be the same. There's always a couple that become hard to find, and you wish you'd bought them when you saw them, but many of them get steep discounts once the buzz has died down. I don't know what the balance is, but I'd guess that the money you'd save by buying later would be enough to cover the cost of the handful of TFs that increase in price. In the meantime that money can be gathering interest in your account.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Save , as by learning to do that you will have a skill that will serve you well.

15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Color me :eek:  I still say 'rich boy syndrome', tho. ;) 

Still, it wouldn't hurt to challenge yourself to save. You could also buy books for those trips, if you don't get airsick reading.

--Moony

16. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm very impulsive when it comes to buying things. I see something I want and really have no issues with buying it (provided I have the spare income to do so). So, I see where you are coming from.

Having said that though, why not challenge yourself to save up instead of sacrificing you collection?

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Learn to save.

Get a big jar and put money in it every week/day/whatever.

18. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Actually the iPod Touch does have the ability to surf the net if you are near a WiFi hotspot.

Anyways, I'd recommend you just save to get an iPad. Take $300 from your TF budget and squirrel it away until you can afford the iPad. The TF toys can wait; they will still be available in November. Also tape a pic of the iPad to a wall in your room, or your door, computer monitor, etc. to remind yourself what you are saving for (keep your eye on the prize). There will be many times you will be tempted to buy something (most likely due to boredom) but keeping the pic there will help you to realize that buying any other item now will take you longer to buy an iPad.

19. Tigertrack

So does my Iphone, but it doesn't hold enough as well. The Iphone will never replace my Ipod. My pod is 160GB's, and my Iphone is 8 or whatever the cheapest one was when they first came out. So, I need something that holds at least as much if not more than my Ipod does. Preferably more, but not necessarily as much as my desktop.

Ritch boy syndrome? Hardly, more lucky than ritch. If I was ritch, there wouldn't be any issues. But yea, I have a caviar taste and a table-salt budget. LOL!

Well, I just spent the afternoon completely dusting off all the shelves in my room and all 88 TF's. I honestly can say, there's not a one single TF I'm willing to give up yet. Some more than others yes, only naturally. But over all, I'm too new into the game to start selling.
    I think in the long run I'll be happier and feel more satisfaction if I actually saved for something big for once. If I sell, make money, and buy that kind of leads to instant gratification which really doesn't help learn anything.
    Thank you all for your inputs, more are welcome of coarse.

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    yeah, i recently got a job (finally) so right now since i am fresh out of high school and no bills and live with my parents i been spending my paychecks on toys after toys haha but if there is a bill that needs helped paid or groceries need bought i will put my toys off, and since i got what i really wanted i am starting to save some

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.