RE4 Wii?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, Apr 2, 2007.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I heard rumors recently the RE4 and CV are going to be the main plots in Umbrella Chronicles. And with "missing" events from the previous games used to fill the plot out from RE0 to RE4 and have it make more sense.

Either way, I find both the rumor I heard and this weird, I find both are likely primers for RE5... which isn't announced for the Wii... yet.

3. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I like RE4, but dunno if I wanna pay for the game again just to shoot people with a wiimote

4. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I sure as heck do!

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Ditto. It would tremendously improve an already incredible game. Also it would almost certainly include the extra content from the otherwise inferior PS2 port, and would have equal or better graphics compared to the Cube, instead of worse. It might even support true widescreen. I think that's a worthwhile upgrade.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

If they do this, I would almost bet that they port from the PS2 version, since that seems to be the lazy trend among developers.

That said, Wii controls would be totally kickass in that game, I may buy it for something cheep like $20 or so. But until then, I'm waiting for a true RE game on Wii.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yeah, if there was a game that would;

a) actually control better on the Wii

and

b) get me to probably almost maybe consider buying one

...it would be this. However, they need to take the Presidents daughter out, that whole fucking mechanic was BULLSHIT.

8. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

If they marge the visual quality of the GCN version with the extra features of the PS2 version and keep it at a low price point it should do well. Getting more M rated games could also shut up all the peoople who like labelling the system as "kiddie".

But I am getting tired of game companies doing the quick port of a last gen game to make a buck (this is probably why some people are comparing the Wii to the PSP)

9. McBradders

Shovelware ROCKS.

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Another port from the Gamecube instead of a new game? Fantastic. Glad to see companies giving the Wii their all. :rolleyes2  While were at it can we get another PS2 port to the Wii with tacked on Wii controls?

11. flamepanther

Doubtful. It would be easier (i.e. lazier) to port the code from the GC game than to port the code from the PS2 version. The extra PS2 content should carry over more easily than the PS2 code. The GameCube code should pretty much run as-is.

12. McBradders

Shovelware + Wiimote = ACK!

But I do trust Capcom more than anyone else with this stuff. To be honest, it would likely play better with the Wiimote than with the standard controller.

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

good call, i could really see re4 working with the wiimote...

14. flamepanther

I wish I could play Lost Planet with the wiimote. :( 

BTW, Joe, it's a Gamecube port in addition to a new game, not instead of. Remember that Umbrella Chronicles thingie?

15. McBradders

Again, if it wasn't for the presidents daughter, this would be a system seller for me. :( 

16. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't see it written anywhere that you get another game if you buy RE4 for the Wii. Regardless they still had a team working on a port rather than a new game. If it was in the same life cycle as the original game, I could look past that. But ports of older games, I believe, are a disservice to the Wii community.

The Wii is already looking like a dumping ground for lazy game making. It's pretty much all ports and mini-game compilations. Let's look at the last bunch of reviewed games (courtesy of IGN).

Disney's Meet The Robinsons - Port
    Heatseeker [UK] - New for Wii
    Medal of Honor Vanguard - Port
    Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII - Port
    Wing Island - New for Wii
    Cooking Mama: Cook Off - Port
    Godfather: Blackhand Edition - Port
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 - Port
    SSX Blur - New for Wii
    Kororinpa: Marble Mania - New for Wii
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent - Port
    Sonic and the Secret Rings - New for Wii
    Wii Play - New for Wii
    World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions - Port
    Open Season - Port
    Barnyard - Port
    Ant Bully, The - Port
    Wario Ware: Smooth Moves - New for Wii
    Super Swing Golf - New for Wii
    Metal Slug Anthology - Port
    Disney's Chicken Little: Ace in Action - Port
    Far Cry Vengeance - Port
    Elebits - New for Wii
    Rampage: Total Destruction - Port
    Happy Feet - Port
    Ice Age 2: The Meltdown - Port

26 Games - 17 Ports

The last thing the Wii needs is another port of a game that will already play just fine on it.

17. flamepanther

Why don't you try that list without the games that were always designed as multi-platform games before you decide you can make a point with it. They're just as much a port on every other console they land on.

18. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes, but so far every other console is getting more original content then they are ports.

Ice Age (9 month difference), Chicken Little (13 months), Ant Bully (5 months), Barnyard (5 months), Open Season (3months), Rampage (8 months), World Series of Poker (2 years and 3 months), Godfather (11 months), Blazing Angles (1 year and from XB) were all released for Wii well after their initial Gamecube/PS2 releases and are identical or nearly identical to their GC/PS2 counterparts save for tacked on Wii controls. It's not like they all came out at the same time as the other console versions liek they did for the other systems. Needless ports that do nothing but take away from games that could have been newly developed.

19. flamepanther

Take away from new games? Do you really think most of the developers of those games you mentioned would be doing anything worthwhile in the first place? Even with a decent developer like Ubi, ports of licensed games are usually given to less experienced development teams to cut their teeth on, or even farmed out to other companies that specialize in ports. It's shovelware, but it's not realistically going to detract from anything great.

This port of RE4 is also potentially in an entirely different category. The original version is practically begging for Wii controls, and doesn't have an actual widescreen mode. The game has also had extra missions added to it since the GC release that aren't available unless you want to go with notably downgraded graphics. That the Cube version is playable on the Wii is a very weak argument in light of those features. Deciding not to go ahead with such a port would be a grave disservice to RE fans and to Wii owners. And considering how easy it should be to port the existing code from GC to Wii, do you really think it's going to impact Capcom's ability to make other games for the system? Capcom already has Umbrella Chronicles in the works, as well as a secret project *cough-Mega Man-cough* from one of their very best producers--the very same producer who graced the Xbox 360 with Lost Planet and Dead Rising. This port will be doing no harm, and plenty good.

20. McBradders

Why isn't he working on Dead Rising II?!

:mad