Re-watched Tf rotf

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by nicksteele66, Sep 6, 2010.

1. nicksteele66

nicksteele66 Well-Known Member

Ok, I watched rotf again, by myself, in the dark, house empty, and I gotta say, I enjoyed it. I don't know why I even watched it again. I was sooo against the 2nd m ovie and Bay just because I didn't like the movie on opening night. This time there was no obnoxious kids behind me, I saw things I don't remember, or didn't see the 1st time around. I just wanted to say, It really didn't seem like the p.o.s. I remember the 1st time around.

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not as bad as everyone says it is. People exaggerate. Glad you enjoyed it. I had a similar experience when I re-watched the Gi Joe movie

3. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    In my opinion, the movies are really good when you have them on dvd...you can fast forward through the human parts. XD

4. nicksteele66

nicksteele66 Well-Known Member

I liked the G.I. Joe movie the first time around, guess I need to watch movies more than once and by my-self before I form an opinion.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Seeing it a second time you're already used to all the things you didn't like the first time around, so you're able to enjoy it a bit better: after all, your expectations are often very different from the actual movie the first time you watch it, so you don't like it when they steer into a very different area you expected.

It works the other way as well: movies you really loved the first time can be more dull on second viewing, and you'll stat noticing problems.

6. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Why so Geewun, Loser?

1st time i saw it in the theatre i loved it! 2nd time watching it at home on dvd i loved it even more!! its better watching it a second time cause you can catch all the things you missed the first time watching it in theatres :D 

7. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

My thoughts exactly.I just skip to the fights.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It took me several tries to watch the entire movie from start to finish.

9. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

The forest scene is the only good part in the movie. I came to thatconclusion when i too sat down alone and watched it on bd for the second time

10. Defenestrator

Defenestrator Definitive Opinion

its so much better in imax extended edition... added sweetness to what is basically an eye candy diabetes inducing movie. in a good way ^^

11. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I tried to give ROTF a second chance. I even got a little boozed up as I like to do when watching abd cinema and I could make it passed Sam leaving for college.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I can't bring myself to watch it beyond the forest battle.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think it took me four sittings to get through it all. Took me three for the first movie. I suppose in this regard it's better to watch these films for the first time in the cinema because you're there for the long run and can't just turn it off once boredom sets in and come back later to pick up where you left off.

14. Jolt Customs

Jolt Customs Seacon

i do the same thing my self hahah:D 

15. RatchetMD

RatchetMD Member

Personally, I find that my opinion of the movies lessen with each viewing. I was watching RotF the other day and changed the channel after 10 minutes or so, but I can still manage to watch the first one all the way through.

16. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, I can't even sit through it a second time. I try and get my son to watch it with me, but even he runs off after the robot fight sceans.

17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    When I go to the bathroom, wait in line for a stall, do my business and get back, and have realized that I spent 10 minutes there, and when I walk back into the show room and ask my friend what I missed, and he tells me nothing...this is when I know a movie is too damned long.

That was a true story when I watched the midnight showing of ROTF. Putting aside all the BS about the twins, the storytelling between the robots and humans, I came to the realization that you could have cut out most of the movie and it would not have impacted much of it at all. The desert run scene where Mikaela and Sam were evading the 'Cons, the desert trek...

Oh god the desert. If goddamn Jetfire can make a space bridge to get them to the temple, couldn't he have made another space bridge to get closer, or to the location? The entire scene wasted time and was way too long. There needs to be a balance between building a scene and brevity. Too long and you bore your audience. It needs to be long enough to give a sense of importance, but not too long.

While we're in the desert, the fight between the cons and the autobots+NEST was also a bit excessive. It lumps in with the desert run as something that could've been shortened, and shown to be a more decisive, brutal battle. As it stands it gave the impression of nothing more than a stand off where both sides were just mindlessly shooting at each other waiting for something to happen. The 'Cons by far had numerical superiority even with NEST, and they should've closed in for close in combat. Make them actually aggressive, and add some tension to the fight. Just when the 'Cons are about to overrun the Autobot position, Sam runs in and revives Optimus, saving the day.

Another issue that I had was the college scene. Most of it was unnecessary and did not advance the plot in any way. All you needed was to establish Sam's room mate, what's-his-face, Alice, his revelation, and then the Pretender escape. It could have easily been boiled down to something shorter and more to the point.

Lord of the Rings got away with being long thanks to the narrative. It's an epic tale of heroes coming together to save the world from a great evil, and thus a story of that type almost necessitates the format that LOTR used. But even then, I watched all three movies in both theatrical and extended, and I never asked, "Is this movie over yet?" LOTR's narrative was engaging, and it hooked you the entire way through, even if it wasn't all action. You felt the struggle of the characters, and you truly felt the sense that they were up against almost impossible odds in their quest to defeat Sauron.

TL;DR version: Putting aside all other problems the movie was too damn long, and a number of scenes could've been shortened with no impact to the story.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  18. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    I actually just watched ROTF yesterday. I honestly can't see why people pan it so harshly. I actually like it better than the first movie. Yes, there are some scenes that coulda been shorter, like the whole college thing. But then the Forest Fight and Primes death... from that point on, it seems that Sam's character really grows. He goes from wanting to be normal, to feeling guilty over Primes death. Every scene Shia is in after OP is killed seems to be about Prime. Sam's guilt constantly puts the focus back on Optimus.

That and I just really love Badass Warrior Optimus Prime.

19. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with knyghtmare2021, I honestly can't see where all the hate is coming from. If you get rid of the Twins, you actually have a solid movie. With too much human interaction. That's the only thing that ruined it for me.

20. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

Yeah..get rid of the twins and the movie is good. I mean I love that farting old robot who actually passes gas. He was my favorite character right behind the robot chick that looks human and tries to rape Sam. So many good moments in this movie. You haters are nuts.