Customs: re: tutorial on stripping paint w super clean

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deruberhanyok, Oct 29, 2009.

1. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Well-Known Member

I was working on a classic seeker repaint and decided I didn't like the way the paint was messing with the rub points. I've since picked up some dye and I'm hoping to have time to try that soon, but first I need to strip the paint I've already applied (testors enamel).

I picked up some "super clean" in a big purple jug (it didn't say Castrol, but otherwise it seemed to be the right stuff) when I was at the store but reading over it gives me pause. This stuff seems awfully powerful and I'm hesitant to dunk the parts into it. Nearly all of the parts are hard plastic but I'm pretty sure the nosecone is soft. I'd rather not drop the parts into the solution only to watch them dissolve like one of Unicron's snacks. :) 

Am I just overthinking it? Will the parts be fine in this stuff, or should I dilute it first?

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I will say that I put a classics seeker into superclean that was in my parts washer and it made some of the joints crumble apart. However..... this may have been because the superclean was heated and the fact that I left it in the parts cleaner for over an hour.

You can dilute the stuff to be safe. I think it gives a dilution guideline on the back.

3. deruberhanyok

Hmm.. well I wasn't planning to soak them for a whole hour, so maybe it will be alright. :)  I'll check and see if I have a few spare parts I can scrounge up to test first. I'll report back with results for future reference.

4. deruberhanyok

Finally got some time today to work on a few things and I wanted to report super clean results. I had a few parts I was able to use as "tests" before I went and put in the ones I really needed to clean.

Room temperature super clean, not diluted at all, worked wonderfully to strip the paint I'd applied (testors enamels with a clear coat). I let the parts soak for about an hour, maybe a little longer, and then the paint just washed right off with water from the faucet (at a high enough pressure).

Incidentally I thought it was strange that the super clean didn't have any real affect on factory applied paint. But rubbing alcohol strips it right off.

I didn't see anything greatly affected by the stuff, either. Joints appear to be just fine. I'm now dying the parts and will hopefully be able to start reassembling the figure tomorrow sometime.

If I don't post back here, it means that nothing was ruined by the super clean.

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

This is something I noticed on a few of my figured, there are some factory paints that strip right off, and others that don't. In most cases, the factory paint will at very least soften from the superclean, but you still have to go over it with alcohol.