Customs: Re-shelling alt modes?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Detour, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Has anyone ever successfully reshelled the vehicle mode of a Deluxe-class Transformer using a model kit or a toy car?
    If so, would there be any tips to share on how to go about doing such reshelling?

I have a few characters (both fan and canon) that I want to customize for my Classicsverse but there isn't really any base figure that's 100% good.
    One particular project I want to do is rebuilt Cybertron Downshift so he transforms into a modern Ford Mustang instead of a 1960s muscle car.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I just recently reshelled a seeker. same principals and techniques apply that are used in the Alternators Re-shell tutorial.

3. Detour

News Credits:
    Where can I find this tutorial?

4. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
  5. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Just FYI if you look at the link list in the sidebar, you'll see a link to the Tutorials section of the Radicons. ;) 

6. Detour

News Credits:
    That tutorial doesn't exactly work for Deluxe figures. The car parts on that size class are a lot more integrated into the construction than Alternators, who are essentially "wearing" a car shell.

7. REDLINE

News Credits:
    but they do work, as I've said. I recently re-shelled a classics seeker.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, you can also make it work by sanding down top surfaces of the TF and applying the tops of the model kit, literally just resurfacing it.

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    It is pretty much just like how it is in the tutorials....

I was in the process of another re-shell, using Classics Mirage, and a 1:24 scale model car....it is now in the hands of Superquad7 for him to finish it.....but yeah, it can be done.

10. Detour

News Credits:
    How does that work?
    I mean... Classics deluxes are pretty much 1:32 scale vehicles, how do you shell it with a 1:24 (Alternators-scaled) vehicle mode?

11. plowking

News Credits:
    The 1:24 scaled kit was a small kit (small car) so the smaller TF worked perfectly.

If I had used a "regular sized" Alt, or something bigger, it would not have worked, being that the donor tf would have been to big for what I was going for.

One of the key things in doing a re-shell is to get the donor tf to fit "inside" the model shell. This is where the removal of un-needed parts, and grinding away some plastic/material come into play.

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, just because two kits may be the same scale, doesn't make them the same size, any more than all cars at 1:1 (real life size) aren't all the same size. Don't make the mistake of assuming that a 1:24 shell would only fit on any other 1:24 body.

13. plowking

News Credits:
    Excellent point Ramrider....

Example: My Alt Hammerlock is a 1:25 scaled model kit over two 1:24 scaled Alts....

14. Detour

News Credits:
    Interesting.

Plowking, any tips on shelling onto Classics Mirage? That wonderfully articulated body would be ideal for my Toyota Supra Transformer.

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Hmm, Mirage you say? I recall a while back somebody (possibly even a couple of people) reshelled Mirage with a Corvette kit to make Tracks (with the legs form in the bonnet of the car). If anyone can remember who did that, could be a handy lead...

16. plowking

News Credits:
    Well, I got my tips from Lobo, but what I can remember off the top of my head, you have to get the donor to fit in the shell first, all the time, planning the tf sequence, once you have the donor fitting inside the shell, then you can start to glue them together, then start to cut it "open"....thats right, glue first, then cut...you can follow the existing cut lines from the donor so that it would make it easier than plotting new cut lines...although, according to the complexity of the donor and shell, some new cut lines will be necessary.

All I can suggest is to take your time, plan and plan some more....it wont happen overnight, but in the end, you'll have a one of a kind tf that you can be proud of.

Refer to the tutorials, and as always, ask for help from us too :thumb 

17. Detour

News Credits:
    Yeah, I remember watching that in progress... I forget who did it but I saw it on the TFormers board. It was impressive, but when he was done the wheels were awkwardly positionned, it didn't look too good in car mode.

Hm. This might be a bit harder. My character was designed to mostly just be art, not a toy, so I don't know if the design is transferrable... And I don't want to copy HappyWell's Supra Roadbot designs because they are far too kibbly... Hrm... How did you do your reshells? Did you do design sketches, anything?

18. plowking

News Credits:
    Actually, I would recommend doing this, as it is a good thing to do.

But I would honestly have to say that no I didn't....it was all in my head....I envisioned it, and just did what I saw in my head...

Just don't be afraid to try, and don't be afraid to mess up.

19. Detour

News Credits:
    Given my budget and lack of ressources, messing up is really what I'm afraid of doing...

20. REDLINE

News Credits:
    can't let that bother you. but if you cant' stop your fear, then I suggest you start with something simpler and smaller to start with, and just slowly work your way up in complexity, difficulty, and expenses.