re-shelling a DS Lite

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Zeta Otaku, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    hey guys, has anyone done this with a DS before?

I've seen these replacement cases for DS Lites and just curious as to how easy/difficult/mind-bendingly impossible it is to do.

Any tips for a first timer?

2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

pictures please?

3. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
  4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Be very careful when you loop the ribbon cable that connects the two screens into the new case. It connects to a tube along the hinge.
    I thought I handled mine with enough care, but I ripped it. :( 

5. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Just so you know, some of those shells are a lot cheaper feeling than a real DS lite shell. My white DS lite had cracked so I got a new outer shell to replace it, so I got a new one to replace it, but it didn't look or feel very much like the original. It was one solid shiny piece of plastic instead of having the two-layered plastic of a real DS lite, and it felt noticeably cheaper. The pieces didn't line up nearly as flush as a regular DS does and there were little spaces about 1mm wide at the rounded corners where dust kept getting caught. Also, the edges of the plastic were kind of sharp feeling so I had to file them down a bit. Not sure if all the cases would be this way, but I'd be wary. The white case in that auction looks very similar to the one I ended up with. I can tell because the text is black instead of grey.

7. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    oh man... well, got my case today... and took a WHILE... looks great too!

did I mention I snapped the power switch? YEAH! totally snapped it... so, off to gamestop tomorrow to grab a second DS to cannibalize. joy!

what sucks is that I had this thing together... TOTALLY together... and it was working! until the battery fell out. yeah, there's a metal piece I forgot to insert for the battery cover screw to bite into. I forgot to double check where the external switch was seated before reassembling the lower half and then I heard a tiny snap... and instantly knew what happened. Spent about 2 hours trying to fix the switch and another 2 hours trying to fabricate a new one.

oh well, lesson learned. >_< at least it'll be an easy fix tomorrow: buy a new, used DS Liteand cannibalize it. Oh, it'll THINK it's going to a new home only to be torn apart limb from limb for it's healthy organs...

8. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    Just another update for anyone wanting to reshell:

when you open up the lower half of your DS, there is a small flat wire that loops around to the other side of the circuit board. If that flat wire is clear with black wire strips... ABORT! ABORT THE OPERATION!

This wire is for the touch screen sensor. This clear wire tears VERY VERY easily. if this tears, there is NO WAY to repair it and you've just disabled your touch screen. it'll still display, but won't register being tapped. I think that clear wire was used on all models prior to the current DS Lites (the red/black and blue/black versions. the one I gutted was the older gloss black DS... whose case I have already resold to a friend) as my blue/black DS which I reshelled has a MUCH more rugged and durable orange flat wire. Figured I'd get this warning out ASAP :)