Customs: Re: Prime Ratchet

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Malunis_T, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I'm planning out a custom, and this particular detail is bugging me...

Would PRID Ratchet's head fit on First Edition Bumblebee's body? Any pics would be nice too so I can see how proportionate it looks.

I don't have either figure handy (receiving Bumblebee soon) and I would like to know ahead of time.

2. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

No dice unless you're planning to do some modding. On FE Bumblebee, the ball portion of the ball joint is located on his neck with the socket in the head where as with Rachet it's inversed, the ball stems from his head with the socket located in the neck.

Edit: However, it doesn't seem like it would take much modding to mount Ratchet's head on FE Bumblebee's body. I think if you disassemble Ratchet's torso and remove the neck & head piece that pops up during his automorph gimmick, grind/shave it down to fit the assembly that Bumblebee's head is attached to (after you cut out the neccessary space for it, which hopefully shouldn't be too much of a bother if you unscrew it from the car hood), it should work pretty well since Ratchet's head is a tad bit longer than Bumblebee's head but not as wide.

Edit 2: And here's some reference pics if it would help.
    [​IMG]
    Here's how you can access the screw, just pop off the block over the engine. It's not glued on or anything (at least on my Bumblebee) but be careful to not pop it off to hard and have it go flying.

[​IMG]
    And the head size comparison.

3. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, very useful info. This only leaves me to ponder what to do...

On one hand, the head is perfect for what I need, but on the other hand... seems like a waste just to buy a Ratchet for the head and neck then toss the headless body aside, since I have no other use for it presently.

I at least know now how the head will work - thanks. This was bugging me. ^^'

4. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Well in regards to Ratchet's headless body, you can always save it for a future custom. What I've found with Ratchet is that you don't need to push his head in for transformation since his tires allow more than enough clearance for the head to remain sticking out without it catching on the ground. So, if you have any extra heads around and some scrap plastic, you could easily rebuild the neck area without the gimmick involved and create a new character (Trailbreaker, Flatline, and First Aid seem to be popular choices).

[​IMG]
    Ratchet: "Well, this is awkward."

[​IMG]
    Hope this helps.