RE: Long Threads and Replying To Them.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frenzy.mp3, Jul 8, 2010.

1. frenzy.mp3

frenzy.mp3 Boisterous Ruffian

Boinking around here I tend to notice that there are threads with an unsettling amount of pages to them, sometimes hundreds upon hundreds.

Sometimes I'll find such a thread and go "Oh, golly gee! This thread looks really neato! I think I'll pop in and chew the fat with some of the fellas.", but in the back of my mind I feel that just posting out of nowhere would seem a tad awkward with a side of rude.

So how do you do it, guys and girls? Do you just hit that 'quick reply' and hope for the best? Or do you go through every single page to avoid looking stupid?

Just curious.

2. red4

red4 Banned

The specifics of a topic change about every 20 posts. So it's never really awkward to butt in at any given moment.

3. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Worry about awkward in RL, jump in head first online

4. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Personally with regards to REALLY long threads I read the first few pages, then the last one to see if they're still on topic and if I'd like to participate.

If its a Funny, tho, I tend to start from the beginning and work my way all the way through.

--Moony

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never read threads, I just know that my opinion is the most important so I dump it at the end and never check back to see what happens either.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    tl:dr

I avoid posting in long threads. There is no sense because more than likely every point that could be made, has been made. And probably argued about for a couple pages.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    When a thread goes on really long, I'm often tempted to check out the last few pages to see what all the fuss is about. Sometimes there's exciting news tucked away in there.

But it's usually just a dragged out flame war.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Same here.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    If I have enogh time, I'll read long threads to make sure I haven't misse some hilarious stupid argument that will entertain me...but then I'll just post my opinion at the end and typically not check back (unless said stupid argument is still happening, then I'll check back in the read the lawlz).

10. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Once I recognize the posting contents are repetive I stop bothering about reading the whole thread and just post my opinion and check only once in a while back to the thread. There are many threats where different people say a million times the same stuff.

Other discussions go lengthy about Vulcans and their libido, so I mostly don't even post between that talk and just see randomly if there is anything essential new related to the actual topic.

11. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Depends on the type of thread.

Cool stuff threads: I'll 'read'(aka skim) the whole thing looking for the good pics, and if there's something near the end that really stands out, I'll comment, and if I have any good pics of my own I'll post.

On-going threads: If it's a topic I'm interested in, I'll read the last few pages of the thread to see what the discussions about, then add my 2 cents. From there, I'll generally check back with the thread every few days and read any replies.

TF News threads: I only prefer to post if they're short, or if I see something that I really need to comment on towards the end of the thread.

Non-TF news threads: I, again, only bother if they're short.

Most other kinds of threads never seem to get too long to not bother reading.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Depends on the subject matter. If it's serious , like a a death in the family or sickness etc, then It's worth a read , and trying to understand the hard feelings.

If its just some stupid little bastard emo rant, or twilight bullshit, then who cares.

On a side note - You're mom is ALWAYS right, and have some respect for her fucking house.
    That is all.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

If it was a comic thread in the Funnies section that's 100+ pages long, I will read through everything so that way I can better respond to the comic.

If it's threads like "Post Your Recent TF Purchase," "What are you listening to," sightings, etc. then I just go ahead and post. After all, who's going to really care what I post in those threads anyways?

Otherwise, I tend to avoid long threads and just find some other thread that I feel is worth reading and posting in.

14. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I read through things backwards for some reason so I start with the first page to see what the topic is about then skip to the last page and read through a couple pages and then post. If it is small I'll read through regularly. Long topics tend to derail so you only really need to read the last few posts

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Who actually reads the whole thread? I just Quick Reply it up. I just post what I have to say and see what happens.

16. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

As you are clearly a time traveler from the 1950's, I can see how it might seem rude to not know everything that has transpired in a thread. But for the threads that are hundreds of pages long, usually the important stuff is taking place in the most current pages. I wouldn't worry about it if you haven't read the whole thing. This is the internet, who cares if you look like an idiot?

17. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

There you go! Follow this. I sometimes check back though, I'll admit it.

18. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I read my magazines like this. I wonder why.

19. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I tend to go to the last page, see where the argument, rant, debate is at and back up a few pages to see if it's gone off topic. I'll usually post a affirmative statement.

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Me three!

:lol