RE: Deterring spam-bots.

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Tech Support' started by Valkysas, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    since I cant reply to the other topic...

At my forum, I added something I call the "bird test", because I like to give stupid names to things, and do things in stupid ways.

the first screen at registration (with the TOS) tells you to put the word "bird" when the registration process asks you "Beep?". With the "Beep?" question, it reminds you about the answer being on the TOS screen. the field reads "honk" at default. if they don't change it to "bird", then their registration doesnt go through.

bots leave the field at "honk". as a result, their registrations get thrown into the "awaiting moderation" pile (so they "believe" the registration went through), and get deleted.

No bot has ever penetrated the "bird test" in the year and a half I've been using it.

granted, the use of stupid words isnt needed, but it entertains me, and sticks in the person registering's head when they see it.

this does have the side effect of catching users who are too dumb to read your TOS, even after being reminded to during registration. so that can also be seen as a benefit.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks for the info. I can't see Tony going for anything that might deter or prevent users from signing up. Community is really the most important thing, and preventing even a couple people a week from signing up (even if it's because they didn't read the ToS) sends those people elsewhere. I personally would rather keep deleting the threads than have a system that might prevent or confuse people when signing up.

I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere.