Customs: Razor Saw or Jewelers Saw - how are they different? What's Better?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by blaynescott, Aug 17, 2011.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

I'm gearing up with some tools I've not used before, but have seen recommended for customizing:

Jewelers Saws:
    Adjustable Jewelers Saw (zon35-750) Zona Razor Saws Hack Saws

and Razor Saws:
    Razor Saw Set (xacx75300) X-acto Razor Saws Hack Saws

I've always used my hobby blades, and trusty cordless dremel for customizing - but I have the need for something sharp and a little more quiet since moving to South Korea to teach ESL. Apartment walls are thin! :) 

What are the differences/advantages to the Jewelers / vs / Razor saws when customizing?

Thanks!
    -Blayne

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Jeweler's saws will allow thin, intricate cutting around curves and panel lines. the very short profile of the blade works like a scroll saw allowing you tou make clean curves while sawing.

The Razor saw is good for general straight cuts. They are thin so very little material is lost during cutting which can equate to better fitting of parts. The Razor saw can also be used with a small miter box for precise 45 and 90 degree cuts.

I have both and recommend both, as well as the miter box. I believe Zona makes their own miter box.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/zon/zon35-260.htm

3. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for the info Hank. :)  I'll be sure to pick up both.

4. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The jeweler's saw is a godsend for cutting metal, I use it extensively for cutting brass tubes and steel wire. I imagine it makes short work of pins :)