Rating System for your Figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ironhide1706, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Hello all. I've been looking at creating a rating system to make quick and concise reviews that also give a good understanding of the figure's strengths and weaknesses. Everything is done without typing a single word, just scores out of 2, 3 or 1. I have copied my rating system below along with an example of a review I did using this system. Comments and critiques are as always welcomed and encouraged.

Robot Mode:
    2 points for Aesthetics
    2 points for Quality Control
    2 points for Playability*
    3 points for Articulation
    1 point for Accessories

Vehicle Mode:
    2 points for Aesthetics
    2 points for Quality Control
    3 points for Playability
    2 points for Transformation
    1 points for Accessories

Grade:
    8.5 to 10.0 = A (9.5< = A+)
    7.0 to 8.4 = B (8.0< = B+)
    5.0 to 6.9 = C (6.5< = C+)
    3.0 to 4.9 = D (No D+)
    0.0 to 2.9 = E (No E+)

Example (Cyberverse Prime Megatron):

Robot Mode

Aesthetics: 2/2
    Quality Control: 2/2
    Playability: 2/2
    Articulation: 2.5/3
    Accessories: 1/1
    Overall: 9.5/10

Vehicle Mode

Aesthetics: 0.5/2
    Playability: 1.5/3
    Transformation: 1.5/2
    Overall: 6.5/10

Overall

Aesthetics: 1.25/2
    Playability: 1.75/2.5
    Articulation/Transformation: 2/2.5
    Overall: 8/10 or B+

So what does everyone think? If you would like to use this system please go ahead and show us your examples.

2. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I write reviews for TFArchive's toy review archive and I admire their rating system, which breaks down the overall score into marks out of ten for transformation, durability, aesthetics, fun and articulation. It's an effective system and quite similar to yours, which I wish other punters would adopt instead of posting a bunch of pictures and calling it a 'review'. You don't even know the meaning of the word. :sly2: 

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, and this isn't a knock on your thread or anything, but I'm way too lazy for something like that. For me, I appreciate everything I have or I wouldn't have it, and there are definitely multiple (at least 2) tiers, but I've never liked to quantify this stuff with numbers because collecting this shit isn't supposed to be practical, or at least for me it's not. Plus, since this is 100% personal anyway, its kinda hard to really transfer many of these scores to another person's desk.

For example, one of my favorite figures (G1.5 Scorch) doesn't have very much in the area of posability, but everything else appeals to me in both modes, so his score would be accurately high. However, to compare him numerically to something like a Beast Wars or Prime figure wouldn't be as easy, as it really is a case of apples & oranges. Heck, I could even say that when it comes to engineering, as simply being more complex doesn't always mean that its better, especially if both of em do their intended job.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I'm a firm believer that rating systems are obsolete. Complex, worthwhile opinions cannot be expressed numerically. However this is better because it's more of a grading system for each aspect. Yet it's length and intricacy make it... impractical when words are much more descriptive, informative and eloquent.

5. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about if we use A to F letters instead? Or stars? It doesn't matter what type of rating system you use, at least some sort of system is practical to quantify the quality of what you're reviewing. Why else would it be so prelevant from school grades to professional movie reviews?

6. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yeah, most reviews I see don't really tell me much. I think there is a difference between a preview and a review. A preview shows colors and such. A review should review the things Cal said. Very few people do that.

Also, the other thing that kills me with reviews is how some people love every figure they buy. They cannot find any wrong with any of the figures. I appreciate the reviewers that says, this this and this is good, this needs work. I mean I love my figures but I know they are not perfect.

7. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know, this pisses me off to no end. The vast majority of reviews on YouTube are ridiculously shallow. Almost no one discusses in-depth topics like unique features, cartoon or toy accuracy, traits in the toyline, and especially points of criticism. A typical review would show the alt mode, the transformation, the robot mode, then at the end say, "I like it! Rate, comment and subscribe!" And when you DO comment that their video was an effortless non-review, they just block you from replying. Imbeciles. :mad 

This is why I prefer to stick to TFArchive; at least their reviews have some sort of standard. I personally think that Auntie Slag is the greatest Transformers reviewer ever.

8. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    Your system is great, but not too many people would go the extra mile to rate their figures this way. Plus as others have pointed out...most people can't even do a proper review for what they are showcasing.

If a review is all one-sided (all praise, or all negativity) then I ignore them. When you can find someone who sees both sides, then you've found a person whom you can trust. I would be perfect for honest reviews (since I'm not a hardcore Transformers fan), but I don't have the time...and there are already a few great video reviewers who take care of getting their opinion out to the masses.

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I sometimes think of letter grades for them.

10. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I just enjoy mine, and if I start to go off them I sell them. Kudo to your hard work though.

11. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

I understand just how everyone's feeling, I really do. Cal, I do know exactly what the word "review" means, perhaps I should have used a different term instead. Thank you for the compliments and I will work on a more extensive but simpler system that is not quite so harsh towards figure that may not be perfect but are still fantastic.

12. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Mine is Perfect, amazing, great, good, passable, average, meh, bad, and total crap.

13. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I only rate my collection with Good, or regrettable.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's an interesting system but too much work for me. I grade more simply...basically pass/fail with a third category for "holy shit, this is great".

And pass or fail is largely determined on two things:

- How much it captures the look and spirit of the character
    - How much enjoyment I get out of it

For example: I got Cyberverse Commander Bulkhead and easily got $9 worth of enjoyment out of it within the first 5 minutes of opening the package. That gets it a passing grade.

On the other hand, I got PRiD Deluxe Ratchet 3 days ago and still haven't gotten $12.99 worth of enjoyment out of it: FAIL

Meanwhile, the PRiD Soundwave I got on the same day got the "Holy shit, this is great" grade, pretty much 45 seconds out of the package, when I had transformed him and plugged in Laserbeak.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    "I really like this!"

"Eh, this is 'ok'."

"Eh . . . ."

*drumroll* the one I rarely use:

"I can't stand this toy!" Normally, I like to have my mind made up before I make a purchase.

My post is certainly not a slam on those who do very in depth reviews and the like, but I just don't do this sort of thing often. There will be things I like and things I dislike about a figure. Sometimes my "like" and "dislikes" aren't even based on whether or not it meets some kind of system.

*shrug*