Rate YOUR 1984 Classics/3P Line Up

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CVprowl, Jun 28, 2012.

1. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

Look at the specific toys YOU are using in your 1984 "Classics" line up. Rate each figure on a scale of 1-10 discussing your percieved pros and cons about the quality, design or other attributes you think are important. Have fun and be creative. (I put this in the 3P section because we want to be able to include 3P bots in our "classics" display.)

I did the first character, Optimus Prime, as an example. I'll finish my own set and post later. I made a complete list of the 1984 characters so you can cut and paste it easier. I'll follow 1984 with 1985 and 1986 later if this is a popular topic. :) 

*** Example ***
    Optimus Prime - iGear Faith Leader - 10/10 - This is a beautiful piece and looks like OP just jumped off the screen onto my shelf. I dig the larger size and how it scales with the other bots in my Autobot classics line up.

*** 1984 AUTOBOTS ***
    Optimus Prime
    Ironhide
    Ratchet
    Trailbreaker
    Jazz
    Prowl
    Bluestreak
    Hound
    Sunstreaker
    Sideswipe
    Mirage
    Wheeljack

Bumblebee
    Cliffjumper
    Brawn
    Gears
    Huffer
    Windcharger

*** 1984 DECEPTICONS ***
    Megatron
    Soundwave
    Laserbeak
    Buzzsaw
    Ravage
    Rumble
    Frenzy
    Skywarp
    Starscream
    Thundercracker

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good:
    -Optimus Prime. There's just something I like about this mold. Especially with the G3 trailer. 9/10
    -Mirage. Simple and kibbleless, yet looks good. How I like my Transformers. 10/10
    -Hound. Same as above.
    -Bumblebee. Like Optimus Prime, there's just something I like about it. 8/10

Bad:
    Prowl. I dislike this mold. Turtle neck is ugly and there's something off about his arms and head sculpt. 4/10

Everything else is about average for me, really. Giant will most likely be up there in my favorites once I get him.

3. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

1984 AUTOBOTS

Optimus Prime - iGear Faith Leader - 10/10 - This is a beautiful piece and looks like OP just jumped off the screen onto my shelf. I dig the larger size and how it scales with the other bots in my Autobot classics line up.

Ironhide - iGear - pending

Ratchet - iGear - prending

Trailbreaker - NONE

Jazz - United - 10/10 - This is one of my favorites. The excellent paint on this figure looked so good to me i knew i had to deal my generations jazz and go in on the united. I was not dissapointed when i got it in hand.

Prowl - Henkei - 10/10 - I still have my Generations mold but went ahead and ordered a Henkei because i like chrome missiles. :) 

Bluestreak - Generations - 9/10 - I think if i had the henkei id proably give it a 10/10. its just missing that banging paint job.

Hound - Henkei - 10/10 - another one of my favorites. the henkei paint is worth picking this one over the usa release.

Sunstreaker - USA - 9/10 - this is a great looking mold.

Sideswipe - USA - 9/10 - this is a great looking mold.

Mirage - USA - 9/10 - this is a great looking mold. not a slave to g1, but a fine looking update with a little twist.

Wheeljack - USA - 9/10 - i prefer the paint on the USA to the Japanese release. I cant really think of anything wrong with this guy. He is a sharp looking toy.

Bumblebee - Henkei - 7/10 - Something about this figure makes me want to upgrade to a better Bumblebee. Problem is, I dont think there is a better Bumblebee. The upsized reshell is not an option for me. I would like the new reshell bot more if it was as good as some of the customs reshells I've seen with out the arm kibble and not such a pronounced backpack. I am hoping iGear comes through with their long planned Bumblebee and Cliffjumper.

Cliffjumper - NONE

Brawn - iGear - pending

Gears - iGear - pending

Huffer - iGear - 9/10 - a little bigger and a few more paint apps and this would been 10/10

Windcharger - RTS - 7/10 - i will prefer this redone in the Gear styel. when it is ill have no doubts to dump this one and go iGear.

1984 DECEPTICONS

Megatron - Hegemon - 9/10 - I love this figure in all of its G1 glory. I widh there was some way to have made his legs more g1, but i love this figure to death anyway.

Soundwave - Music Label - 7/10 - too small, doesnt use tapes... needs to be reprolabeled to reach his full potential.

Laserbeak - NONE

Buzzsaw - NONE

Ravage - Henkei - 7/10 - nice looking casette bot. Should have included seperate chrome missiles.

Rumble - Perfect Effect - 8/10 - I really love the way these guys look. I wish these guys turned into casettes is my bigegst problem with them. Also i like chrome so he loses a point for that.

Frenzy - Perfect Effect - 8/10 - I really love the way these guys look. I wish these guys turned into casettes is my bigegst problem with them. Also i like chrome so he loses a point for that.

Skywarp - Universe - 7/10 - too small and the quality of the iGear seekers has me blown away.

Starscream - Generations - 7/10 - too small and the quality of the iGear sekeers has me blown away.

Thundercracker - Generations - 7/10 - too small and the quality of the iGear seekers has me blown away.

4. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

but which versions of the characters are you using?

5. Cecilia

Cecilia Transforming

Generations Scxourge 10/10 - Totally awesome, just that the vehicle mode scales with nothing aside Cyclonus himself, but since I donm´t care so much I won´t deduce points hehehe
    RTS Cyclonus -10/10 - WoW! The colors for him are just perfect, everything else works just fine and both modes get me crazy, love him :) 
    United Kup with Igear head and submachineguns - 9/10 - loses one point cause of the arm kibble but still great IDW feel and presence.
    Generatioons Drift with reprolables - 10/10 - reprolables gave him life and now he looks just perfect to me
    RTS Perceptor with Igear sniper rifle and reprolables - 10/10 Perfect for my IDW based collection, reprolables just made him spot on.

6. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1984 AUTOBOTS

Optimus Prime - iGear PP01 Faith Leader - 9/10 - Pretty much fits into Classics a lot better than the actual Classics/Henkei mold (which I still quite like but it's way too stylized and too small). Some sloppy paint apps on my FL (fixed as best I could with silver paint) brings down the score a little but other than that, he's the centerpiece of my Classics Bots display. Looks great with the G3 trailer posed behind him (in upright repair bay mode) -- even better if he has the toon accurate (angled antennae) head, and the extra ion rifle to mount on top of G3 Roller. FL works with Classics so much better than MP-10 Convoy too (which I also have but it's too damn big in bot mode though it's perfect in alt mode). Delicious chrome.

Ironhide - iGear - Pending.

Ratchet - iGear - Pending.

Trailbreaker - None yet.

Jazz - United - 10/10 - Bangin' figure. Better paint than Hasbro. 'Nuff said.

Prowl - Henkei - 10/10 - Delicious chrome. WAY better paint than Hasbro. Face sculpt could be better but it's a small matter.

Bluestreak - Henkei - 9/10 - Delicious chrome. Marginally better paint than Classics. Don't really care much about BS as a character himself though. Face sculpt could be better but it's a small matter.

Hound - Henkei - 10/10 - Delicious chrome. A fan favorite and very spot-on toony in his mold sculpting and proportions. The fact he comes with Ravage is a HUGE plus. MGS or Dr. Wu add-ons help a lot with both figures.

Sunstreaker - Henkei - 10/10 - Delicious chrome. Aweome mold (especially the head sculpt) and I feel it works much better with his character than his brother Sideswipe. WAY better paint than Hasbro.

Sideswipe - Henkei - 8/10 - Delicious chrome. Good effort with the mold's clever switcharoo engineering but the limitations are still there. The head sculpt bugs me though (doesn't look much like the character with that huge nose and low brow). Not too much of a difference paint-wise with Classics. Chrome shoulder launcher by either G3 trailer or TFC Gear of War is a must.

Mirage - Henkei - 8/10 - Delicious chrome. Great mold, if a bit spindly and gangly (instead of the preferred blockiness of G1). Chrome shoulder launcher by either G3 trailer or TFC Gear of War is a must.

Wheeljack - Generations - 10/10 - I also prefer the bright matte paint on the USA Generations (looks more like a race car) compared to the shiny metallic paint of the Japanese United release (which borders more on teal than green). Sure he's short and a little stumpy with fat honking feet but it's a callback to his G1 toy. WJ was my absolute favorite Autobot character growing up as a kid and this toy brings me back to those halcyon G1 days. Reprolabels stickers are a must on him!

Bumblebee - (Dollar General unmarked line) Legends - 6/10 - Small and gets the job done. Decent mold for a Legends (I didn't care for the Goldbug version) with nice yellow plastic (don't care for the orange detailing though). Still waiting for a more G1 accurate version (like iGear's PP04).

Cliffjumper - None yet. Still waiting for a more G1 accurate version (like iGear's PP04).

Brawn - iGear - Pending.

Gears - iGear - Pending.

Huffer - iGear - 9/10 - Small but very neat mold. Head is a little hard to get to turn inside his box though.

Windcharger - United - 10/10 - Excellent Scout-sized figure.

1984 DECEPTICONS

Megatron - None yet. I do have both the Henkei and United versions and as neat as those two figures are (Bladerunner gun alt mode), I don't display them in my Cons collection due to how far the molds depart from the original G1 source. I thought long and hard about Hegemon TW-01 and eventually broke down and bought him (not yet in hand) but I don't think I'll be inserting him into my main Cons display either due to his (too short) Voyager size. Currently awaiting either LianToys's Ultra-sized version of a new Megatron mold (to fit in better with PP01 Faith Leader and the MP Seeker molds) or TakTom's MP v2, whichever comes first. At the moment, my MP Starscream wields the tiny Megatron pistol accessory that came with Faith Leader (I do have the larger MP-01/04 version of the gun but I gave it to MP-10 to hold).

Soundwave - Takara MP-13 - Pending.

Laserbeak - G1 Encore - 8/10 - Delicious chrome. Still looks great and has held up really well despite the age of the mold.

Buzzsaw - None yet.

Ratbat - G1 Encore - 8/10 - Delicious chrome. Still looks great and has held up really well despite the age of the mold.

Overkill (never appeared in show, I believe) - G1 Encore - 7/10 - Delicious chrome. Still looks great and has held up OK despite the age of the mold.

Slugfest - G1 Encore - 7/10 - Delicious chrome. Still looks great and has held up OK despite the age of the mold.

Auto-Scout - TFC-004 Gear of War - 5/10 - Decent transformation engineering and he comes with orange (energon?) crystals. Character itself is nothing to write home about.

Ravage - Henkei - 9/10 - Very cool transformation engineering to make him more three dimensional (compared to his very 2D-flat G1 counterpart) and he comes with Henkei Hound as a bonus. A shame he has no ankle joints (to get him into crouching poses) and his butt/hind legs flop a bit loosely (a way to peg them in together would have been nice). Missiles (either G1 chrome, Dr. Wu or MGS) are a must to complete his look. Reprolabels optional but nice. Some silver paint on his legs and teeth (looks like a bird beak unpainted) would have been good too.

Rumble - G1 Encore - 8/10 - Delicious chrome. Still looks great and has held up really well despite the age of the mold. Crazy-Devy parts (piledrivers, head, waist, and gun pieces) complete his look.

Frenzy - G1 Encore - 8/10 - Delicious chrome. Still looks great and has held up really well despite the age of the mold. Crazy-Devy parts (piledrivers, head, waist, and gun pieces) complete his look.

Starscream - Takara G1-color (Japanese "Walmart" version) MP - 8/10 - Colors are better than the MP-03 Greenscream version (which I also have). The MP is bigger than the too-tiny Classics (I have the more color accurate Henkei version) and I don't mind having my Cons tower over the smaller Deluxe/Voyager Bots (Cons have the size/firepower advantage while Bots have the numbers advantage). Head sculpt could be better (smirk face is cool though) and the infamous hip kibble takes some points away, though I have little problem getting him to stand. I also do have MP-11 Newscream (with coronation gear) but I don't display him in my main Cons collection. Starscream is my fave Con character and MP-11 does the character great justice.

Skywarp - Takara MP-06 - 8/10 - Nice shiny black paint (even if the purple isn't too G1 accurate) The MP is bigger than the too-tiny Classics (I have the more color accurate Henkei version) and I don't mind having my Cons tower over the smaller Deluxe/Voyager Bots (Cons have the size/firepower advantage while Bots have the numbers advantage). Head sculpt could be better (constipated face is funny) and the infamous hip kibble takes some points away, though I have little problem getting him to stand. Awaiting an MP v2.

Thundercracker - Takara MP-07 - 8/10 - Nice shiny blue paint (even if it's too dark and G1 inaccurate). The MP is bigger than the too-tiny Classics (I have the more color accurate Henkei version) and I don't mind having my Cons tower over the smaller Deluxe/Voyager Bots (Cons have the size/firepower advantage while Bots have the numbers advantage). Head sculpt could be better (yelling face is hilari-bad) and the infamous hip kibble takes some points away, though I have little problem getting him to stand. Awaiting an MP v2.

Reflector (Viewfinder, Spectro, Spyglass) - PE-11 Scouting Force X - 9/10 - Great little figures with amazing poseability, likenesses, and a crap-ton of accessories. However, being way too small and way too expensive brings down the score a little. Reprolabels stickers are a must.

7. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    *** 1984 AUTOBOTS ***
    Optimus Prime - Faith Leader - anime head
    Ironhide - custom from Inferno - waiting for iGear
    Ratchet - Henkei version - waiting for iGear
    Trailbreaker - have the legend - totally unsatisfied
    Jazz - united version - shapeways gun
    Prowl - Universe w/ shapeways gun
    Bluestreak - Universe w/ shapeways gun
    Hound - henkei w/ upgrade kit
    Sunstreaker - Henkei - 3rd party weapon
    Sideswipe - hondasaints head on Universe version
    Mirage - henkei version w/ 3rd party weapon
    Wheeljack - Generations - prefer the colors - shapeways weapons

Bumblebee - Henkei
    Cliffjumper - Classics
    Brawn - have the legend, waiting on iGear
    Gears -
    Huffer - have both Rager and Botcon - alternate between the two
    Windcharger - RTS

*** 1984 DECEPTICONS ***
    Megatron - Hegemon
    Soundwave - Music Player
    Laserbeak - using the PVC version from the Mega SCF Megatron
    Buzzsaw - original cassette
    Ravage - device label
    Rumble - custom repaint PE (purple)
    Frenzy - custom repaint PE
    Skywarp - classics
    Starscream - universe 2.0 + megatoyfan kit
    Thundercracker - henkei

8. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

*** 1984 AUTOBOTS ***
    Optimus Prime: Classics. 9/10. Great figure, heroic looking robot mode, good alt-mode (apparently a rarity when it comes to new molds of G1 Prime).
    Bluestreak: Classics: 7/10. My favorite version of the mold (barring Rapido, which I don't have). I love how it's basically "the G1 toy, done in modern technology." But it's still just sort of... dull.
    Hound: Classics: 9/10. Great toy. Wish the gun would stay on his shoulder. I love that he has ankle rockers, lets him hold poses much better.
    Sideswipe: Classics 8/10. Basically a mini-Alternator, and just the prettiest shade of red plastic I've ever seen.
    Mirage: Classics 10/10. Love this guy. His only flaw is his hands are 4mm, though it lets him use Bakugan weapons which I got on clearance. Including a very fitting crossbow.
    Wheeljack: Generations 9/10. Wrenches are cool.
    Cliffjumper: WfC, I guess? 4/10. The robot mode's too tall, the transformation's a pain, and he's got a gut. I regret getting him.
    Huffer: PCC Huffer: 6/10. Fun, if simplistic figure.
    Windcharger: RtS: 8/10. Fun figure, great action feature (the flip out guns) and looks great. Transformation's a bit finicky.

*** 1984 DECEPTICONS ***
    Megatron: Henkei: I love nerfatron. He's just... fun. 9/10.
    Soundwave: G1: Pretty much the only G1 figure that even comes close to standing up today... still accurate looking, better posability than most G1 figures, and, you know, cassettes. 10/10.
    Laserbeak: Booster X10. He's big, but pretty cool. I wish I hadn't lost his gun. 8/10.
    Buzzsaw: G1 KO: It's all I have. I actually like that he's a KO, the plastic chest is better than die-cast.
    Ravage: KO DL. Universe Ravage is a piece of crap, but DL is amazing. G1 is also almost good enough to stand with my Classics (and because of alt-mode, sometimes does), but DL just happens to be particularly amazing.
    Starscream: Henkei: Like Bluestreak, I love the Classics Seeker mold for being great representations of a G1 Seeker mold with accuracy, articulation, and no partsforming. I just wish they could put their arms forwards without bumping against their wings. 8/10
    Thundercracker: Generations: I love Thundercracker's color scheme and I like the mold. And the name. 9.5/10.

9. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Well, quite a few of these I don't have one, nor do I have the desire to own, but what I do have:

*** 1984 AUTOBOTS ***
    Optimus Prime - classics mold seems to do the job just fine for me. However, depending on Toyworld's "IDW Optimus, he may be replaced!
    Ironhide - again, content with the classics version
    Ratchet - classics version
    Trailbreaker - yet to own one lol
    Jazz - RTS
    Prowl - classics
    Bluestreak - classics
    Hound - classics
    Sunstreaker - classics
    Sideswipe - classics (with the GOW weapon add on
    Mirage - classics
    Wheeljack - generations
    Bumblebee - WFC/classics
    Cliffjumper - WFC
    Brawn - N/A
    Gears *- N/A
    Huffer - N/A
    Windcharger - RTS

*** 1984 DECEPTICONS ***
    Megatron - Hegemon
    Soundwave *- (until someone makes the tapeplayer in deluxe size) WFC
    Laserbeak - N/A
    Buzzsaw -*N/A
    Ravage*- N/A
    Rumble*- N/A
    Frenzy*- N/A
    Skywarp - CHMS KO
    Starscream - CHMS KO
    Thundercracker - CHMS KO

10. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    *** 1984 AUTOBOTS ***
    Classics Voyager Optimus Prime 10/10
    Universe 2.0 Ironhide 7/10
    Universe 2.0 Ratchet 6.5/10
    Trailbreaker N/A
    RTS Jazz 9.5/10
    Universe 2.0 Prowl 8/10
    Universe 2.0 Bluestreak 8/10
    Universe 2.0 Hound 9/10
    Universe 2.0 Sunstreaker 8.5/10
    Universe 2.0 Sideswipe + GOW weapon 9/10
    Classics Mirage + GOW weapon 10/10
    Generations Wheeljack 8.5/10

Universe 2.0 Legends Bumblebee 7/10
    Universe 2.0 Legends Cliffjumper 6.5/10
    Universe 2.0 Legends Brawn 7/10
    Gears N/A
    Timelines Huffer 6.5/10
    United Windcharger 8/10

*** 1984 DECEPTICONS ***
    United Megatron 10/10
    BTS-04 (Sonicron) Soundwave 7/10
    Laserbeak N/A
    Buzzsaw N/A
    Universe 2.0 Ravage 8/10
    United Rumble 8/10
    United Frenzy 8/10
    Classics Skywarp 9/10
    Universe 2.0 Starscream + Megatoyfan kit 9.5/10
    Generations Thundercracker 9/10

11. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    *** 1984 AUTOBOTS ***
    Classics Voyager Optimus Prime 10/10
    Universe 2.0 Ironhide 7/10
    Universe 2.0 Ratchet 6.5/10
    Trailbreaker N/A
    RTS Jazz 9.5/10
    Universe 2.0 Prowl 8/10
    Universe 2.0 Bluestreak 8/10
    Universe 2.0 Hound 9/10
    Universe 2.0 Sunstreaker 8.5/10
    Universe 2.0 Sideswipe + GOW weapon 9/10
    Classics Mirage + GOW weapon 10/10
    Generations Wheeljack 8.5/10

Universe 2.0 Legends Bumblebee 7/10
    Universe 2.0 Legends Cliffjumper 6.5/10
    Universe 2.0 Legends Brawn 7/10
    Gears N/A
    Timelines Huffer 6.5/10
    United Windcharger 8/10

*** 1984 DECEPTICONS ***
    United Megatron 10/10
    BTS-04 (Sonicron) Soundwave 7/10
    Laserbeak N/A
    Buzzsaw N/A
    Universe 2.0 Ravage 8/10
    United Rumble 8/10
    United Frenzy 8/10
    Classics Skywarp 9/10
    Universe 2.0 Starscream + Megatoyfan kit 9.5/10
    Generations Thundercracker 9/10

CHMS Rainmakers, CHMS Air Warriors & CHMS Sunstorm 8/10
    GOW Autoscout 10/10
    PE Scouting Force X 10/10 could be a little bigger

12. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *** 1984 AUTOBOTS ***
    Optimus Prime (Classics) This was a good mold when it came out but I think that it is dated compared to the recent Generations figures. Took me a while to pick it up because I didn't like the panels on the arms but it is a good figure 9/10

Ironhide (Classics) I do not have this figure anymore but it was one of the worst in the classics line I have seen. His head doesnt raise up fully, paint apps on the windows and face are not good, it was just a mess 6/10

Ratchet N/A

Trailbreaker N/A

Jazz (RTS) Awesome figure, even comes with speakers. Also like the mass shifting of it. 10/10

Prowl (Classics) It is a good figure, somethings can be better like the head reveal and the neck, I wish the head transformed the same way Jazz does 8/10

Bluestreak (Classics) Even though it is the same mold as Prowl, his color look better with the mold, still doesn't help with the neck 9/10

Hound (Classics) Love this mold really capture Hound 10/10

Sunstreaker (Classics) good figure wish it was it's own mold 8/10

Sideswipe (Classics) Good 8/10

Mirage N/A

Wheeljack (Classics) only issue I have is that he a little short 8/10

Bumblebee (RTS) nicely done in bayformers bee colors 9/10 (United) Looks good as Goldbug 9/10
    Cliffjumper (KO)
    Brawn N/A
    Gears N/A
    Huffer N/A
    Windcharger (RTS) Like that guy, wish he was a small deluxe size though 8/10

*** 1984 DECEPTICONS ***
    Megatron (United) Ok figure, I like the coloring, head sculpt could have been better and I wish they could've done something better with the wings 7/10 (Toyworld Hegemon) The ultimate Megatron, has a few balljoint issues and fusion cannon hinge needs to be tightened 9/10

Soundwave (Music Label) Great figure, wish was voyager sized, and held cassette, looks great 9/10
    Laserbeak N/A

Buzzsaw N/A

Ravage (Classics) came with Hound 8/10

Rumble N/A

Frenzy N/A

Skywarp (KO) null rays fall off the arms, torso will not lock in all the way. But the figure looks great 8/10

Starscream (Classics)

Thundercracker (Generations)
    *Reflector (Perfect Effect)