Ratchet the party animal

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mirage4lifeyo, Jul 27, 2012.

1. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

Was thinking just recently about that aspect of Ratchet's original bio and tech specs, the other really main defining characteristic of him besides being the most talented medic on Cybertron and a gruff backtalker was his love of partying and in fact him being such a party animal that it sometimes distracted from his work. Basically the original character sketch was sort of a cross between "Bones" McCoy and Frank the Tank from the movie Old School. Sort of like House M.D. on crack.

What's interesting is, from the very get go in the comics and cartoon and on through every other iteration of Ratchet that we've seen, I don't think I've EVER seen that "party animal" aspect of him portrayed or utilized, have we? It is an awesome and hilarious concept to have a party dude surgeon but it seems like every fictional account since has kinda backed away from that...to the point now that most ongoing iterations of him have more as a grumpy, serious, decidedly non-party type dude. But if there have ever been any instances when "party Ratchet" actually surfaced let me know, I'd like to see it.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Warrior School. G1 TF # 7. We see him in a somewhat informal setting with other humans, and he talks about his past. Pretty much the only time I can think of though.

I think by the time we meet him, the war has already taken away his days of doing regenerator-stands and using his laser-scalpel to shotgun oil canisters. It'd be nice to see more wistfulness in that characterization for those days past, but usually he has more pressing matters.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Synth-En Ratchet is essentially the closest we'll ever get to Party Ambulance Ratchet in modern media.

4. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

I read an interview with Bob Budiansky where someone asked him about this and he said he pretty much forgot hed given Ratchet that personality in the bio so the comics never showed that side of him. Not really sure why the cartoon never went with it but since G1 it never seems to get mentioned at a characteristic.

5. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well we have the original character sketch now were Ratchet was intended to be a female. (Making the Nurse Ratched "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest" reference in the name even clearer).

If Hasbro hadn't vetoed that we would have had a sarcastic, hard partying female in the original cast. Much as I love G1 Ratchet as is, that would have been interesting.

-ZacWilliam, tried to draw the G1 Ratchet toy as a Dery esque female one time but couldn't quite manage it..l

6. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    I thought it was because girls toys don't sell well even though Gi Joe at that time had popular charecters like Scarlett, Lady Jaye and Baroness.

7. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    Nothing I said is counter to that. It's been a longtime axiom unfortunately in the boys toy field. It's truth is questionable I think, but yes, I would guess that's why Hasbro told Bob to change Ratchet to a male.

-ZacWilliam, most 80s boys lines had a token female Hero and Villian (even if they didn't always have toys) Ratchet would have been the Bot one, I wonder who could have been the Cons...

8. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    Slipstream should have existed back in G1. That or Starscream is female like in the French dub of the 86 movie.

9. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    For some reason Thundercracker kind of fits the role to me.

-ZacWilliam, anyone else ever think it's funny that the 84 Seeker trio matches up pretty perfectly to the Misfits from JEM color and character role wise?