Ratchet the old timer

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I don't understand why in every continuity except G1: Transformers Animated, Transformers Prime, the live Movies, IDW and etc all make him an old timer a guy that's ready for the scraps, but why in G1 he wasn't consider as an old timer? Is this canon? Or the writers thought it that they were better off making Ratchet an old timer, was this role filled by Ironhide and Kup?

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd say it gives him character. I love crotchety old Ratchet.

3. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    "Because he's sexy" is probably not a valid reason, so I'll just .. sit over here. :|

4. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Thats the evolution Ratchet's character has undergone over time. It doesn't work backwards.

5. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    ITs because the writers want to change the character. G1 Wheeljck is a different character to Armada Wheeljack. They have no similarities other than name

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Characters are different across different continuities. There is no "one" characterization for each character, and they only need to be consistent within their own universe.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I believe that Animated was the first version of the character to be depicted as a crotchety old guy. At the time, I read it as the writers combining the characters of Ratchet and Ironhide into one, with a bit of Trailbreaker (robot mode and engineering) and Wincharger (magnetic beams). In an additional departure from G1 tendencies, when Ironhide made his appearance in Animated, he wasn't old at all. In fact he joined the Autobot academy at the same time as Bumblebee, and was trained by Sentinel and... Cliffjumper I think? So Ratchet occupied the "old warhorse" role instead all by himself.

Frankly, the cranky old doc personality fits him well, and it makes sense that even in a G1 continuity, Ironhide and Kup wouldn't be the ONLY "old guys"... though they may be older than most. It's not strictly accurate to the original character, but it also doesn't contradict him either (G1 Ratchet was also known for his gruffness, rough bedside manner and tendency for backtalk).

zmog

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Of course it is canon. Everything approved by either Hasbro or Takara is canon.

The question is, "which canon?"

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Because no body reads Budiansky's tech specs he made for G1.

Ratchet is supposed to be a party ambulance. He's the cool hip medic that can hang out with his peers. It was mentioned in that one Marvel issue when he's in the woods with the college kids who went camping.

Prime Ratchet when he's on Sythn-En reminds me of what a Party Ambulance should be.....

10. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Old timey Ratchet would make sense considering he and Optimus are long time friends because isn't Optimus like really really old?

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Actually, I think those are still the main source for many characters. When Animated Ratchet departed, I thought it was an acceptable homage based on some of the G1 source, but with some new twists, since Animated was very much it's own new setting (albeit with a lot of strong G1 influence).

I'm not quite sure I read it that way. Liking "parties" doesn't necessarily make you the "cool kid". You might also just be an alcoholic. :) 

However, you are correct in that Budiansky never really played him off as an "old guy" in his Marvel run, so we can probably assume that most of that came from Animated, and struck such an appealing chord that it was carried forward in Prime.

Here's the pertinent excerpt from his G1 bio:
    Something about Ratchet always reminds me a bit of Bones from the old Star Trek. Rough-mannered, a bit cranky, argues with his superiors, but also only too happy to knock back a bourbon and have a good time. Kind of the quintessential "old country doctor" routine. That seems to be the direction James Roberts is taking it in IDW.

I always thought of Prime as being pretty old himself, but it depends. In versions of the story that focus on his being an "ordinary guy" like Orion Pax or "Optronix" before getting Matrixed, he doesn't seem older than anyone else.

My preference is for Prime to occupy a sort of "fatherly" role among the other Autobots, while Ironhide and Kup are more the grandfather types.

zmog

12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Because the series creators wanted to make him that way? Same way they wanted to make Ironhide red, Optimus heroic and Shockwave purple with one eye.

This.

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Roughly, this.

My idealized version of Ratchet is a semi-old nongeezer that still wants to think he is still little younger than he really is.

14. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Movie Ratchet seems closer to G1 in age. Ironhide and Optimus both seem easily older than him.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    So Essentially Prime Ratchet? Which is my fav Ratchet.