Ratchet/Ironhide G1 heads

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I know there is a garage kit or Encore thing for these. And I'm wondering a few things:

1. Are they worth getting? Does anyone have these? Do they work with the toy? Or is it best just to stick to the new Classics versions?

2. Are there any video reviews of these things or detailed pics so I can see what they look like in more detail that someone could post a link to?

3. Would they still be worth getting if only the green Ratchet version is available and I have the white version of G1 Ratchet? I don't have Ironhide. BBTS sold out of the white version, who else might have the white version still available for a decent price?

Thanks.

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    TFSource has them in stock:
    Ironhide & Ratchet Set of Custom Heads

I don't have them, but they do look nice and TFSource has a couple of nice pictures of G1 ratchet and Ironhide with their new heads.

3. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

I got a pair of custom resin heads off ebay, from a seller called trabludog I think. Don't know if he's still selling them, but they were really well done. Improved the G1 toys tenfold, in my opinion.

The Besttoys set that poster below linked to is much the same thing as the customs that I got, except that the Besttoys version are also capable of transforming a little, so that you don't have to take them off to transform to vehicle mode.

If you already have G1 Ironhide or Ratchet, they're well worth buying, because there's no comparison between a Transformer with a head and one without. Haha. But, remember that the original toys "head" is a sticker on the driver's seat behind the windscreen... so when you put the new head on in the cartoon position, the arms will be coming out of the toy's waist.

4. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Wait and try to get the head / arm combo. I got the heads and if you really want them I would sell them to you at cost. I wish I would have waited for the head / arm combo but they are hard to find right now.

5. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

Head/arm combo? I've never heard of that. Who is making that one then?

6. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    I haven't heard of this set, but I'm intrigued.
    Do you have any pictures??

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Head/arm combo huh? I'd like to see pictures of this as well.

8. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    It was a while ago on ebay. Let me see if I can find it.... After a throughough search I came up with nothing but trust me, I saw it. I am pretty sure it was produced in numbers, not just a single auction. I'll keep my eyes out. I do remember thinking it went for too much that is why I did not get it.

9. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I have these and I'd recommend them.

The heads are juuuuuust a bit too small, but they still look quite good on the Ironhide frame. You do need to remove the face stickers if you plan to put the heads on though. (The stickers are too thick and the slats for the head pieces are just snug enough without the stickers)

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember seeing those as well. IIRC didn't they require some modification to the toy?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have them. They are great quality and the colors match the toys perfectly. The heads also fold in so you can store them in vehicle mode. I highly recommend them :) 

12. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    It really depends on your tastes. If you are a hardcore Geewunner, then this is an absolute must have. You finally get rid of the stickerface and have a toon accurate head. Also the plastic quality seems pretty good (won't crumble in hands when you take it out of package) but they do seem a bit fragile so I wouldn't really recommend them for kids. If you prefer more articulation and an updated look for Ratchet, then you'd be better off with the Classics version. Classics Ratchet would be cheaper too.

I snapped some pics for you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just slide them over the tab/chair back/robot head. It clips in secure and won't slide off if you tip the robot upside down
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how the head folds down:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only real problem with this kit is that since the arms were designed too low (since the "head" is in the chest), the figure looks freakish in normal robot mode:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just rotated the arms up so the hands look like shoulders. This makes the figure look better but you loose arm articulation. Pun-3X has a arms mod that you can do to your figures so the arms can move naturally, but since these are new Encore figures, I don't want to chop them up.

The heads will work with any of the G1 Ratchet/Ironhide molds. The only thing would be the colors not matching but I'm sure paint could fix that.

All in all I am really pleased with this set and I highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

13. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seawing has left nothing more to say! So go get them.

14. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Exactly, Ratchet is my joint favourite character, I've got these heads and love them (reminds me that I need to pick up two green ones, one for a custom).

The way I remember them, I didn't like the ones with the arms, but I have an awful memory.

You won't be disappointed by the Besttoys one.

15. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Definitely worth getting, they give you this odd sense of "completeness" when you put them on...

16. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I have been looking for the set with the arms for a while if anyone has any idea where to get them please PM me.

17. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Thanks for the info, especially Seawing for all those pics, those were more than I expected but exactly what I needed to see. Thank you so much!

I'm still undecided about buying or not, but this info will definately help me decide. I'm a G1 fan for sure but not such a purist that I have to have older 80's toys. It's more about having decent looking toys of my favorite characters, and Ratchet's always been a fave. Head looks really good on the toy and it's cool how it can fold down, but I can't kitbash worth slag so I'd be stuck with waiste arms and my Ratch is an 80's original not a reissue so I wouldn't cut him up. But now I at least feel I have enough info and can make a wise purchasing decision one way or the other. I know I keep saying it, but thanks again.

18. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    ^ glad I could help.
    Oh I forgot this pic...

[​IMG]

19. Vengeance1701

Vengeance1701 Well-Known Member

Yeah, talk about making awesome out of nothing... the inventiveness of Transformers fans is pretty impressive.

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i feel like a cheapskate now.
    i saw em at BBTS a while back and i couldn't justify the price for just one head (ratchet) to go on an Encore that i keep in the box.
    the arm deal isn't too freakish to me, and really, the addition of a real head makes a huge difference.
    nice pics.