Ratchet and Clank FTW!!!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just picked this game up today after practically selling my soul (been a rough week for cash, what with Transformers DVDs, PSP Slim, Final Fantasy Tactics, Folklore, and going out)... but I had to get this game, because this is my Zelda for Playstation.

This little piece of gaming heaven does not dissapoint. The strange gittering from the framerate in the demo is pretty much gone, the graphics are so damn lush, and it looks like they have a slightly more serious story while still maintaining some of the silliness.

And best of all, they returned the old Third-Person controls, that because of the demo's lack of them, I thought had been removed. So people weened on R&C 2 and 3 will find those old controls back if you want to use them.

Now bring on Jak and Dax and please please please Sly Cooper... But this is definitely a must have for fans of the series.

2. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I just read the review. Ratchet is one of the reasons I would get a PS3. That and if Killzone 2 is well received and can match up to Halo 3. I've been a fan of the Ratchet series since the first one, and I REALLY want to play this one.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Same here. Loved the first one, the second even more, and up your arsenal more than those. Hav'nt played deadlocked though. Need a PS3

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yup, this game's first on my list when I get a PS3 (probably around graduation time next year).

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

The demo seemed quite promising, but I just dont have the time to go through the game (aka too many games). :(  Maybe later in the year.

6. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is the game that would get me to buy a PS3...eventually...but I really don't see that coming anytime soon. Shame too as the Ratchet & Clank games have been some of the best platform games over the last few years. Sorry Mario, Ratchet edges you out here.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ive never played the Ratchet and Clanks but definitely will get this one. I dont know about Sly Cooper, that was kinda dissapointing. Killzone 2 looks good but I dont think itll be the answer to Halo3 as Killzone was a horrible answer to Halo 2. In my mind, Resistance was the answer to Halo 2 even though they were trying to make it rival Gears of War.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hated when people started calling KZ the answer to Halo, or the Halo killer. Killzone was a cool game and this new one looks it too, but it should just stand on its own. The game doesn't have vehicles which makes Halo so much bloody fun. Killzone is just a badass gritty future war game, but should not be compared it's almost...almost... like apples and oranges.

9. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never even had the desire to touch one of these games before, but after I played the demo I realized that my life will be empty without it. This game WILL be mine!

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Dee, and trust me, it only gets better. That demo is nothing, and like I said above, the framerate and gittering have been fixed.. at least on the gameplay... the cinematics for some reason still stutter a bit.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I agree that Killzone should stand on its own, but its natural for people to compare them when it came out. Now, on its own, I thought Killzone was just "ok", its replay value was not that high for me. The pasty look on the characters bothered me and for some reason they just didnt have charisma. In regards to game play, action and the maps of the campaign, I thought those were great. So for Killzone 2, yes I definitely want to get it since it looks like theyve improved it.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The Ratchet and Clank games have always been excellent.
    I'm glad they haven't dropped the ball yet.

Is David Kaye still Clank?

13. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I was just blown away by the visuals of the demo. If GH3 wasn't coming out Sunday I would have already bought this game.

14. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I was quite impressed with the demo. I will get this eventually, but not until after I finish Folklore.

15. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

This game is the reason I will eventually buy a PS3, as I absolutely love the first 4 for the PS2.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely, I love that little robot, and Kaye is an awesome voice for him.

17. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Like Primus, the only reason I don't own this game now is because GH3 is coming out. I've never played the Ratchet and Clank games before, but I love Jak and Daxter and this game seems to be in the same family.

18. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I totally forgot this was out today. Time to pick it up and say good bye to the family for a few days.

19. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I've only rented the first few games and really I never cared that much for them. They seemed like pretty basic run of the mill platform games with a little bit new, but didn't really have the magic to make me want to keep playing. I've got the demo but haven't played it yet, but I'm guessing it will be pretty much the same story with this one.

I did get to play Mario Galaxy a bit today, about 10 min. or so. It feels like a mario game. Very easy to control, and while nothing major in terms of innovation, at least not in the little time I had with it, it just has the fun factor that other platformers don't.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I really do hope they bring the Jak series to PS3 after Uncharted.... The only problem I have had with the Jak series since part 2, is that it doesn't have any type of strafe_aim control scheme... I know, and realize, that this would put it in the third person category and that's not what the developer wants... but Ratchet and Clank added that control scheme in the second game and it never felt like I was just playing a third person shooter, mainly because there was still a lot of platforming and exploration.

I just kept getting killed by cheap shots in Jak 2 and 3 because enemies would come out behind the character and I couldn't aim right, so kept shooting blindly, which wasn't a lot of fun.

Still, if there was ever a series that pushed the PS2, Jack and Dax was it, and Daxter was a blast on PSP... great-freekin-little-game.