Ratbat leader?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jinx23, Sep 21, 2012.

1. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Someone please explain how
    Ratbat became leader of the decepticons. Thanks

2. afmultiverse

afmultiverse Banned

Simple, he had a high position, Megatron was believed dead,Shockwave was missing, Starscream was heavily damaged and I believe in the Ark.

3. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Basically yeah, if I recall it correctly he was the best of what was left. I havent read it in a long time but I dont think he was leader for all that long, if I recall.

4. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    He was energy auditor on Cybertron, came to earth and took command when Shockwave disappeared reentering earth's atmosphere

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In modern continuities, Ratbat is a former senator.

6. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

I think he was a high ranking energy auditor and then Megatron and Shockwave disappeared Straxus was in charge, with Ratbats rank increasing. Once Straxus was out of the picture Ratbat took over operations on Cybertron.

Shockwave used to have to put in requests through him when conduction operations on earth and eventually he was so grossly inefficent Ratbat came to see exactly what was going on. He was efficent and professional enough that Shockwave couldnt find any serious fault in what he said so he ended up almost in a joint leadership position. Then Shockwave crashed and burned and Ratbat said it would be a waste of resources recovering him since he usually depleted more energy than he produced for the Decepticons/Cybertron. So Ratbat ruled alone until he was killed.

Some details might be wrong since Im going off memory, but if you wanted cold hard facts you would have just gone to the tfwiki.

7. Avengers

Avengers Banned

It was funny seeing one of Soundwaves cassettes ordering him around.

8. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    ive read this reciently you pretty close to dead on.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup. Ratbat was the sole leader of the Earth based Decepticons from #39 to #50. He abandoned Shockwave after his defeat by Fort Max, and ended up getting stabbed in the back (well, shot) by Scorponok.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    He was elected under the promise he would bring change....

....he lied. Now we're stuck with him for 4 more million years.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Bureaucracy!

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It would be interesting to see Ratbat (or 'A Ratbat') as a temp leader in something again, to see a more bureaucratic/bean-counting style of leadership for a while.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    "I want them killed with your BARE HANDS! Missiles are expensive, you see."

14. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Longer than Megatron ever was! :lol 

15. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Soundwave taking orders from one of his own minions? Awesome:lol  Never liked the idea of Ratbat as the leader of the Decepticons.

16. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Ratbat wasn't originally one of Soundwave's minions in the comic. Just because he became a cassette doesn't mean he became a minion.

And in my fiction, I've retconned Ratbat as having a robot mode before he came to Earth - its his Universe toy (repaint of Cybertron Sideways).

17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not even 100% sure he ever actually transformed in the comic. Maybe once.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

That's kind of a thinly veiled political commentary, so you're breaking the rules, bro. Also, you're just wrong. :p 

I agree... unfortunately, Barber is so bloodthirsty in IDW that he set Ratbat up as leader and pretty much killed him instantly. His role was absolutely negligible. Basically, it was a nod to the old Marvel Ratbat, and then brushed aside. Too bad.

Yeah, I love that. That's one of the things I liked about the Marvel comics... they weren't afraid to shake up the status quo a bit. :) 

It was different, but they sold it well. It was nice to see someone who had a high rank due to intelligence and administrative acumen, rather than just a warlord running on intimidation. Cybertron is in the middle of an energy crisis. Who should you put in charge... the efficiency expert, or the guy who expends massive amounts of energy blowing shit up? :) 

Yeah, a few times. In his defense, there's not exactly a lot of scenarios where transforming into a tiny inanimate slab of plastic lends itself to a dynamic story. :) 

Both IDW and Dreamwave also took that approach as well... I like it, but at the same time, I also kind of like the way having high-ranked "beast" characters disturbs the hegemony of the standard humanoid characters. ie: Ravage is not just Soundwave's "kitty"... he's an autonomous, high-ranked, highly intelligent Decepticon espionage agent, who just happens to be based on a non-humanoid physical model. Thank god IDW is playing him that way (like Marvel and Beast Wars before). I hate seeing him relegated to being a glorified guard dog.

BTW, even if you go back to Budiansky's original Ratbat Techspecs bio (the origin of the character), he's got a 9 Skill and 9 Intelligence... though admittedly only a 6 Rank. However, his bio discusses how his fuel tracking and testing skills make him invaluable, and how he is a shrewd businessman, so it's no surprise that he might have parlayed his skill set into a higher position in the Decepticon hierarchy.

zmog

19. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved Ratbat as leader. Not permanently, of course, but it made sense in context. And as I'm sure somebody pointed out already, he was only leader of the EARTH-BOUND Decepticons, not the whole army or anything. And by that time, the Earth-bound Deceps were a pretty rag-tag bunch.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well, I'm not so sure. He seemed to be the OVERALL Decepticon leader... or at least someone of a high enough rank that he could make policy decisions about what operations get funded by Cybertron. Remember, he didn't rise to leadership of the Earth Decepticons. He came in from Cybertron (where it seemed like the Cons were better organized) to take over and oversee the Earth operation... and it seemed like a decision he undertook himself. Nobody else sent him there.

Of course, that might have just meant that he was running the show in Straxus' particular corner of Cybertron (where the Space Bridge was). After all, I think the Headmasters miniseries would have been roughly simultaneous with those events, meaning that Scorponok was ALSO a major player too, until he left pursuing Fort Max.

zmog