Ratbat and frenzy question: frenzy hip colour

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jamiebrayley, Oct 10, 2008.

1. jamiebrayley

jamiebrayley Well-Known Member

Was there any official release of ratbat and frenzy where frenzies hip colours were dark blue? I have one I bought from a respected collector and both ratbat and frenzy are stickered, it has the full copyright on the back and comes with chrome weapons. It doesnt look like any of the KOs I have seen but frenzy does have dark blue hips

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Only the bootleg Frenzy is known to have the wrong hip color. Some other indications of bootleg are the shoulder rivets & metal feet : the bootleg has shiny, aluminum-like rivets, while the vintage figure dark metal rivets. The metal feet on the bootleg are shiny, while the original has non-shiny steel feet

The bootleg does have the original stampings like the authentic figure and came with chrome weapons too.

3. jamiebrayley

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  4. Incesticon

Incesticon WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

I have KO's of these and these look like the real thing(official). I think you did okay there. I don't think you have to worry about these being KO's as there are a lot of differences.:)  I'm no expert though.

5. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
  6. jamiebrayley

7. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
    He states that now because that auction was outted here as a bootleg, then sold afterward and TFW'ers jumped all over the buyer to let him know. Since the sale didn't happen, the seller relisted with the new info.

Yours has every indication of being legit, especially with that Ratbat in there. The dark blue hips just isn't widely known. Rare variation I suppose? :) 

8. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Edit--nevermind

9. jamiebrayley

Yes, maybe a variation which was copied (ironically) by the bootleggers lol. It would be nice to be 100% sure though. The knock off/chine reissue guide at Comprehensive G1 Counterfeit / "Knockoff" ID Guide | HIGHENDTFS.COM? also says there is conflicting information about the hip colours so i am hoping this is genuine :) 

10. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
    That's kind of why I brought Might Gaine into the picture. I expect he'll update his site with some of this info...

11. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    I finally have all the counterfeit cassette tells straight. I'll be making guides shortly. But here's a quick run-down on how to tell whether a Frenzy/Ratbat is real or not:

1) Weapons/Painted details mismatch -- On the counterfeit, the weapons are silver, but the details on Ratbat are painted. To my knowledge, painted Ratbats only ever came with gold weapons (except the 1990's Chinese reissue).
    2) The counterfeit has incorrect rivets
    3) There's no assortment number in the lower right on the counterfeit <-- really easy tell to spot.

So this one is definitely real.

Oh, and the Ravage/Rumble he's selling is definitely fake. Look at "Evil Decepticon" in the logo. "Decepticon" is way too far to the left. It runs into the Decepticon symbol. That's a really easy tell for Ravage/Rumbles.

The hip color stuff is kind of complicated. Apparently there were some Rumbles and Frenzys with dark hips. In the Frenzy/Ratbat package, I've only seen dark hip versions. I've never seen them in a Frenzy/Laserbeak package, but it still might exist, especially since I've never seen black-hip Rumbles carded, even though I know they exist.

Sorry to contradict some of my earlier info. Anyway, full guides coming soon.

12. Might Gaine

News Credits:
  13. jamiebrayley

yay! thanks so much guys