Rat Poison Found In Recalled Pet Food

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by optimusprime42, Mar 23, 2007.

1. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Representatives of a food laboratory in Albany, N.Y., and the New York agriculture commissioner confirmed Friday afternoon that a substance used as a rat poison was found in pet food that is part of a massive recall.

After several pet deaths, Menu Foods recalled food sold under nearly 100 brand names.

The chemical was identified as aminopterin, a rodenticide that is also used in trials to treat leukemia Earlier, ABC News reported that the chemical was on wheat imported from China. However, at the news conference Commissioner Patrick Hooker and Donald Smith, dean of veterinary medicine at Cornell University, said that they could not confirm the source of the contamination.

Hooker also said that the toxin is not registered for legal use in the U.S. for rodent control.

They also said that the Food and Drug Administration and Menu Foods had been notified of the finding. Both stressed that the results were just one step in a process to determine how the food became contaminated.

Smith said the news conference was called to provide information to the public, as well as other researchers looking into the situation.

They said that they tested final products, not individual ingredients.

Sixteen animal deaths led to the recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food sold throughout North America under 95 brand names.

2. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Im so glad we only feed our dog Royal Canine brand dog food.

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Sounds like someone did that on purpose to me. I can't see how something like that was just an accident. Hopefully they discover who did it.

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

:(  Ouch. I hope whoever did this gets caught. I also cant see how something like that just happens on accident.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Bob Barker went off the deep end and is taking matters into his own diabolical hands.

6. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    here's the cause The substance in the food was identified as aminopterin, a cancer drug that once was used to induce abortions in the United States and is still used to kill rats in some other countries, state Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker said.

7. feral prime

feral prime Well-Known Member

Thank God my little precious(in the sig) is so picky with what she eats. Only likes dry food and we buy her IAMS. Wet food like in the cans or pouches has always made her give new meaning to "fire in the hole". It's a really scary situation and I truly feel sympathy for the owners who lost their pets to this.