Customs: Rare Earth Magnets: What are they good for in Customs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by exomega255, Jul 29, 2011.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I see that they are used by a few of the very famous customizers. Just wondering where they are applied best?

Is it for weapons armaments?
    Strengthening of Joints?

Can anyone offer some hints as to how they are used in customs and what are some of the common applications in perspective of TF customs?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

They are useless as joints. They works as great weapon attachments, and also for removable armour (as I used for my Star Saber custom ages ago). Oh, and for any character that should be able to float, I suppose you could make them appear to be floating by magnetising them to the shelf.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    What about Joint supports? as in, not being the actual joint itself?

So I assume for armor and weapons, you'd have to install the magnet in both the bot and the weapons/armor, right? It seems like such a great alternative compared to 5mm peg holes.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Just don't use them for joints, you'd be so much better off with a ratchet joint if you needed to be able to hold the joint in one position.

You'd need to install magnets in both sides (make sure they face the right way though!). The pegs still have their uses, and they are much better in terms of strength. Magnets are for displays with light weapons and light armour.

5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Technically, you don't need magnets in both sides, one magnet and one piece of metal will do. Also that's a bit easier to work with, they are so strong that even if they are misaligned a bit, they won't fit right when attached.

They are good for attaching lightweight parts, armor, weapons, and things like that, but as said above, they aren't great for joints.

Here is how I used one recently. That part of the mane actually detaches and swivels (the original mane attached to the robot head)
    [​IMG]
    ...which allowed for it to fit perfectly in two positions. There is a magnet in the front of the mane piece and the back, so it will grab on to the small piece of metal I attached in the back part of the bot.
    [​IMG]

6. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're quite useful. I used them to fit Classics Darkwing and Dreadwind together, and lately I've been using them for my big Smokescreen, to hold the doors shut and align the shoulder cannons. I wouldn't put any great strain on them, especially if you can't make the magnets actually touch. But then you have the issue of either painting them and having guaranteed paint chipping, or not painting them and having visible magnets everywhere.

7. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

my solution to paint is to cover it with a very thin sheet of styrene. that way the paint sticks to the surface just as well as the rest of it. downside is it's something thats in between what you are trying to attach. usually it's just a light operation, and the magnets are powerful enough that it deosn't matter.

R!

8. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    A couple of us are using magnets for leader Ironhide in this thread...

9. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Hey! I'm planning on using some magnets in a custom I'm working on and was wondering what metal things people use with magnets if they don't use a pair of them like deliciouspeter suggested here? Do you get some small nuts or something?

10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I've used paperclips and staples before. I'll cut them up and glue the pieces next to each other...