Customs: Rare Earth Magnets- need advice on dimensions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Master Blaster, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey folks, I did ask in the my Superion thread but I don't think the right folks are lookin' in all honesty, since I know a few here use REMs in their customs and there's been next to no responses regarding the subject. Probably cos my posts are so long! :lol 

I'm planning to use a number of REMs in my project to connect the chest armour plate-which will also support the arms- to Silverbolt. From my experiences with shipping transformers out I know the average deluxe weighs around 250 grams, and I believe the shoulder joints and their connectors will weigh about 50 grams. The chest armour will most likely weigh the same as a deluxe or less, so 250 grams there.

I'm planning to use them in five places; both shoulders, both sides of Silverbolt's waist, and two on the crotch plate.
    What sort of dimensions am I looking at to support this weight? We can pretty much say each side will need to support shy of 400 grams of weight, and with five connection points I think the weight will be nicely shared.

I was thinking 6mm x 10mm x 1mm square magnets, but MissingSea recommends a smaller size. Would 3mm x 5mm x 1mm squares, two at each connection site; do the job? The armour plate will be built out of 1.5mm thick styrene sheets a tubes so shouldn't weigh much.

Just want some professional advice from those that have handled these bad boys before, I've heard they're powerful shit and I don't want to buy ones that are too strong.
    What would you suggest to bind them to their connection sites? Will super glue work? Or will something more substantial be needed?

And how powerful exactly are these things? I've heard all sorts of crazy stories involving crushed fingers and all sorts of mad shit.

Thanks for the help!

2. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Excellent use of Churchill in your sig. :thumb 

I find this to be a good question, as I'd like to add magnets to my oh-so-expensive RTS Windcharger. (A positive charge from the right magnet, a negative from the left.)

If I ever go through with my plan to make "Undercover Autobots" out of Stunticons, I'd also want to look into magnetizing Windcharger, alias Wildrider's die-cast metal chest. I have a screwdriver magnetizer/de-magnetizer that I hope can do the job.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have a few small ones, 6mm wide and 1mm thick (round ones) and they would do the job i think

4. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    @Cybertronian-- Thanks man! Being a UK collector since the beginning has taught me one thing- perseverance is key! Stiff upper lip and all that! :D 

@brr-icy-- hmm so you reckon the 6mm x 10mm x 1mm will do it? If the 6mm diameter circular would do it, the extra surface area of the larger rectangular strip should definitely do it.

How potent would you say they are as magnets; how much effort does it take to pull two away from one another?

And does anyone have any tips for binding REMs to a figure? Some special glue strong enough to overcome the magnetic fields? Would epoxy resin be a good idea, for example?

5. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

Epoxy definitely my man and even the small ones are quite strong.

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome, I think it is decided! I'll get some of the smaller sized ones detailed above in, and get some epoxy with my styrene materials. If I can I'll try to recess the magnets into the armour plate and Silverbolt.

Thanks once more everyone!

7. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok as for magnets for joints I wouldn't bother.I use Lego knights ratcheting joints for those on my devastator.magnets used on it were only to attach armour plating and the like.

And as for attaching them use zap a gap glue and just sad the area they are going onto as to give the glue and area to bond and bite onto.

They really are strong and if left to snap together can actually shatter and splinter pieces off. I think this sorta covers what you asked but as for holding weight they do have a limit (not sure of the actual limit) but I wouldn't put a whole combiner assembly on one for instance.

8. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nellie, you used REMs in your devastator? What dimensions did you use, do you have a link to your project page? I'll only be using REMs for armour attachment here, using Movie Prime joints for the shoulders and legs tbd.

I've read that the limit depends very much on the dimensions with neodymium magnets- the greater the area the great the magnetic field and thus the attractive force. the parts I'm looking at should be able to sustain the upper body assembly, if nothing else, because of the distribution amongst several connection points, and I'll be doubling up magnets to ensure this.

Trying to find a decent site now that sells what I'm after, too few sell rectangular flats, all blocks ¬_¬

9. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have used them in a few different projects in different ways and I still ain't done a project page of my devvy as just not had a great load of time but I will get some links done to give you an idea later one or tomorrow some time.
    But it really is quite easy and simple when you see them done :)  which is good news lol

10. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! Would love to see your handy work :D 

haha that's good to hear, it's just cos it's a new area I've not touched before that I'm not certain on what to expect.

I've looked into acquiring some D6mm x T2mm neodymium discs for armour connectors, the description page said they had quite the attractive power (approx. 0.7kg per disc) so I'm hopeful a few pairs of those dotted round Silverbolt will do the job. Will probably seal the ones on the armour plate behind styrene so there's less chance of chipping or scratching when attaching/removing the plate.