Customs: Rapid Prototyping Sample

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Boggs6ft7, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I think my old thread ran its course...

I finally went ahead and got something I had designed rapid prototyped. I found a place that did the work for very cheap and while the results are less than stellar, its workable. Getting these done in a high resolution is much much more expensive, on the order of 20-30 times more.

Also in the picture, you can see the same part I made from styrene. This was my original attempt and I didn't care for the qualtity I was getting out of my work, so I just went back to the computer and started designing all my parts in Solidworks. The styrene shows details better, but the RP part is more consistant in terms of symmetry and is much more rigid. The surface is rough, but can be sanded down. My final build may be a combination of the two or I'll keep looking for an affordable source to do a high resolution part. The part was made for $18 shipped. I would get a better deal if I made more.

Some answers about the pictures:

1. Yes, its what you think it is.
    2. I have spent MANY hours on this project... however...
    3. I'm not ready to start a WIP thread until I know I can finish him, its getting close though. I would put him at 70% designed.
    4. The other picture is a snapshot of what I made in Solidworks.
    5. The funky window on the styrene piece is not supposed to be there, I messed up that end. The RP part has one at the end not shown where the "eye" would be.

Attached Files:

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, cant really say I like the prototype quality but for 18 bucks shipped it isnt to bad. Since it has the basic shape and everything I assume you are going to use it once sanded down for its symmetry correct? Working off of it should be cake to add all your details to it. I have been looking more into all this stuff since you started the thread way back and decided that it is just out of my reach and since I am more of a traditional sculptor and have no 3D background I have decided to invest my money into a injection molding machine to up my pieces that I will be making from styrene or resin to a stronger plastic.

The design is pretty cool whatever it is, no hints?:D 

3. Boggs6ft7

Someone will figure it out.

As for the ordered part, I will be only using it once. If I were interested in making a mold for additional parts, I would have no choice but to order a part in higher definition. I think if I go this route for future pieces, I will make them as simple as possible and then add all the details on later.

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    only thing I can come up with is Shockwave, HOS style?

5. griffith76

griffith76 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow Aaron you're really gonna get it done! If you need help on parts you can let me know.

6. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, Hearts of Steel Shockwave is all I an think of looking at that. And if I'm right, WOW, can't wait to see it finished!

7. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ohhhhh!!!!! I see it now, sweet! Definitely the top part of the ship/chest piece.

8. Boggs6ft7

Thanks man, I'll see what problems I run into and let you know.

And yes, its HOS Shockwave. It should be on the order of MP Prime in terms of size when finished. I'm not sure why I made him that big, everything started from CAD drawings and all the proportions were based off those.

9. Donocropolis

Donocropolis Well-Known Member

just to let everyone know, I've seen his solidworks model, and it is glorious.

I won't tell you what I had to do to see it, but we'll just say I had to do some things that I'm not proud of.

10. Boggs6ft7

You'll do more of the of the same if you want to be kept in the loop.