Rant: Why do I always get bad deals?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, but I'm having a really bad day today and I need to vent.

After my earlier tirade over Toys R Us' poor selection of Transformers, I tried buying them online to soothe my soul. But Jesus! The selection isn't much better either. I'm looking forward to Generations Thundercracker and Wheeljack. But when I go to Kapow Toys, both of those figures are listed as 'Sold Out'. I mean, we only recently found out that Generations Thundercracker even exists, but his pre-order is still sold out. Not that it really matters. Kapow Toys charges £15 for Deluxes and £3.50 for shipping. So ordering one Deluxe would cost £18.50 or $29, which is just obscene when you Americans can get them for $10 at Wal-Mart.

Anyway, I thought about ordering a couple of United Deluxes and Sidearm instead, the total cost of which would be over £50 and grant me free shipping. I put the two Deluxes in the basket and go to order Sidearm. But surprise, surprise, he just sold out! Gah! So before I pursue that, I decide to spend my savings into pre-ordering Masterpiece Rodimus Prime. I browse the site for the listing, but wait - you guessed it - SOLD OUT! Hold on, maybe I can pre-order him from Epicheroes instead. Yes! They have him listed on their site. Now I just have to click here...... Oh God....

SOLD FUCKING OUT!!

This is ridiculous. These are pre-orders for Christ sake! If there are a large number of pre-orders, just order more stock! BBTS, TFSource and Digital Toys are still accepting pre-orders for Rodimus et al, so why is the UK left hanging high and dry? And don't tell me I should pre-order sooner. I made that mistake before when I pre-ordered Piranacon and Challenge at Cybertron from robotkingdom.com last Fall. I thought I was getting a good deal on these rare figures, but what I didn't realize was that the UK charges import tax for anything over £18, and the combined shipment meant I had to fork over another £20 just to get my order delivered. Worse, while I was waiting for it to arrive, I went to Auto Assembly 2010 and saw both Piranacon and Challenge at Cybertron being sold by the truckload for the same price that I paid robotkindom.com! So if I had simply waited, I would have got these figures sooner and saved on import tax! And let's not forget Thundercracker. I bought the KO version online a couple weeks ago, thinking that this will probably sell out quickly. A few days later, Generations Thundercracker shows up online! So much for getting a great deal.

My misfortune extends beyond Transformers too. I was really looking forward to ordering a Roll plastic kit from AmiAmi, but I had to wait until after Christmas to pre-order because of the X-Mas expenses. Immediately after X-Mas, it's listed as in stock. When I proceed to order it, the checkout mentions "We will not mark your item as 'gift' or undervalue it." This is a problem for me, because I wasn't sure if AmiAmi was going to mark the value at its original price of 3'000 yen or its discounted price of 2'180 yen. The reason I'm worried is because if it's 2'180, it can slip past British customs, but 3'000 yen means I'll have to pay import tax again. So I ask them about the value and wait for their reply. When they got back to me in the morning and said they'd mark it at 2'180, I go to order it again and guess what? SOLD OUT! That really pissed me off. So now it's listed as 'back order' and I've ordered it, but it could take 1-2 weeks just for it to arrive in store - if it even shows up at all. I swear, if I had ordered it immediately, AmiAmi would probably have marked it at 3'000 yen, because that's just how life treats me.

I have nothing but back luck trying to support my collection. If I buy quickly, I get fucked over. If I wait and save, I get fucked over. Why can I never get a good deal on these things?

2. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have my sympathies, man. It's a real catch-22 at times when it comes to buying toys at "the right price". Especially toys that get billed as products aimed at collectors.

I think if you are willing to wait, eventually the items you just missed out on will be available again, because Kapow, BBTS, etc., would order more from Hasbro/Takara.

3. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know exactly how Cal feels. I had the same problem two years ago with the SDCC Soundwave.

Finally I had to order one from Toyarena where it cost me more.

4. ssancho

ssancho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a worst story. I happened to order SDCC Soundwave from Toyarena 2 weeks ago. They said they had it in stock and so I am waiting for it to come. Then a few days later I get a email saying they are suddenly out of stock. WTF

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Know that you're not alone. It is literally insomnia-inducing to be a collector at times, always checking prices from no less than 5-10 online stores, as well as running from Walmart to Target to Toys R Us, etc.

After that, like you said, the toy stores' liquid pricing mess you over with massive discounts and beautiful deals on eBay. I've come to see it as a "chance" sort of thing when shopping for toys.

6. 123►Genei-Jin

123►Genei-Jin Member

Robot Kingdom just did the same thing to me with a City Commander set, after a week of placing my order got an email saying they oversold the item.

7. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    Had bad luck just today with Toys R Us online shopping as well...

They were having this buy 2 get 1 free sale, so I buy wfc soundwave, animated rodimus prime, and generations blurr. Even with that discount, the total comes out to $40, since roddy was upped to $17 dollars... I thought to myself 'fair enough, this would be approx retail price if i were to go out and buy these three at my local tru'. Soon enough, all three items were listed as located in stock. in hand. available in the factory. ready to ship. to me.

last night, as luck would have it, blurr goes out of stock on the online shop. no prob, right? mine's is 'located in stock'. Later, I get an email saying that my blurr order was cancelled and that I'd get a full refund. Question: how do I get a refund on a figure that was $0.00? That's not a refund, that's ripping me off! I'm now paying $40 for two f-ggin deluxe class figures, because tru decided that, even though my blurr was 'located in stock' they didn't have it in stock!

Let me say this again: I'm paying $40 for two. goddam. motherf--kin'. deluxe class figures...

8. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel for you man.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    and you're point? lol that's regular price here with taxes in

10. ssancho

ssancho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats a deluxe united figure right there

11. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    This is why I use BBTS. Whenever something I want goes on preorder I order it because I know what could happen. Of to order Thundercracker I go! Lol.

12. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

So fuckin' what??

I would be glad to pay that price. In the last year almost all of my TF purchases were from BBTS, and when you calculate the postage price for a total (I'm from Europe btw), a deluxe figure costs me $25. Retail price in Europe for a deluxe figure is 18 euros (around $21-$22).

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Sorry, I know us UKers have to stick together, but I'm afraid I don't have any sympathy at all with the OP.

Just pre-order the items you want as soon as they go up on a site like Kapow. Seriously, the retail distribution in the UK is so bad that 99% of the time, we are forced to rely on online stores for our TFs. In that respect, Andy and the team at Kapow do an AMAZING job making some of the rarer figures available at very reasonable prices. If you don't like their prices, then tough I'm afraid. Just don't buy their stuff. There will be plenty of people queued up behind you to take your place.

Kapow have to import a lot of the TFs they sell from the Asian market and other overseas distributors which isn't cheap. Just look at the prices charged by BBTS for example. In contrast, Kapow are giving us UK-based fans a great deal, especially when you take the free shipping on orders over £50 into account.

I just don't get what the issue is here. If you know that an item which is likely to be crazily popular goes up for pre-order and you don't buy it straight away, then you really only have yourself to blame. It's not like we are spoilt for choice in the UK when it comes to buying TFs that are not available at retail. If it's not on Kapow, Toyz & Gamez, Amazon or... actually that's all I can think of (apart from eBay) then you are forced to order from a US or Japan based store, which has the added problems of huge shipping and customs fees.

I don't think there is any argument against what Kapow do or their prices. I think we're damn lucky to have them.

14. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    Yeah, except I'm not from Europe. I'm not buying a united figure. I'm buying the bare minimum: two hasbro deluxes that have been out for some time now.

In addition to having a great deal pulled out from under my feet, I'm paying nearly double what I would normally pay (less than $25).

I get that you guys have it rough, since you HAVE TO order from online shops, simply because of where you live, and i must sound a little spoiled to you guys, but to a 15 year old kid paying for his own action figures cuz his folks dont care for tfs, having to pay double for the bare minimum is rough.

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't live in europe either, just north of the border,

16. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pre order from BBTS. You don't pay until the item is in stock and you can cancel anytime. I realize shipping is higher to the UK, but in the end, you will get what you want.

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I Sympathize with you man, so frustrating to lose out on a figure you want.

happened to me the first timei ordered from BBTS had my eye on a complete G1 Powermaster OP for around $50 and i checked it the night before i got paid it was still there , went to bed got up checked to make sure the direct deposit had come through then jumped on BBTS to place the order and it had been sold sometime in the night.

Thereis an oldy saying that fits this thread " He who hesitates is lost" or tyhe more modern version " You snooze you lose" and sometimes other factors for you to have to wait helplessly as an item sells out.

18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like I said, that tactic always seems to backfire on me. If I hadn't pre-ordered Piranacon and Challenge at Cybertron, I would have saved time and money just getting them at Auto Assembly. And when I lunged for KO Thundercracker, safe in the knowledge that Hasbro will never ever release a Generations Thundercracker... well, you saw how that turned out.

19. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand the frustration of not getting good deals. I would say be consistent in your choices and hopefully by the law of averages things will even out.

Why you didn't think Hasbro wouldn't make a Thundercracker I don't understand though. Hasbro released all the exclusive Henkei figs so why wouldn't they release TC? And if you had bought a Henkei TC would you be mad that now there are KO of him?

I don't know how big Kapow Toys is but stores have to pre-order things months in advance. In this economy, stores may not want to carry a whole lot of extra stock so they might under order and may not be able to add on later.

Yeah you have to pay more for Hasbro stuff but that's because you're importing. Just like Americans have to pay more for Takara stuff. It's the way it is. What's the point of bitching about it?

20. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I can empathize. But it can be worse, like getting something online that is defective or not desribed properly, like I got a "Legacy of Bumblebee" 3-pack from E-bay sometime ago, and the metal parts were rusted.