RANT: Why are so many video reviews utter pump?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cal, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They're his reviews; he can do whatever the hell he wants with them. Accusing him of being "against free speech" for deleting some assholish (video review fans can be very assholish when it comes to other reviewers' work) comments is a hilariously overblown response.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Let's keep what other video reviewers do or do not do on their own boards or channels out of here. Rule 14, folks:

14. Keep Off-Site Drama Off This Site
    If it happened elsewhere then don't bring it here.

3. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just wanted to let you know I do appreciate your reviews. I'm not sure why you're getting picked on in this thread.

You manage to get the toys early (so I can actually see them before the preorder fills, and cancel if I'm not on board), you show them cleanly and clearly enough to get a good sense of what the toy actually is, and you've got the type of personality where it's fun watching as you frequently have problems getting the figure to stand up. :) 

Keep it up, it a good thing.

4. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Getting back onto topic.....

....while there are Legions of Trolls out there who'll being saying shit, there are also just as many if not more people who will see a video and just say "awesome video bro, cool toy" etc.

Be it out of politeness or just general good will, it can build and build until that person gets enough of such comments to be like "yeah, I am a great reviewer!!!".

I'm not saying those people have to stop or be brutally honest. Simple minds enjoy simple videos. But a constant stream of thin, pretty much meaningless comments can do more harm that "U R GAY" type stuff.

5. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

Peaugh was the first reviewer i stumbled on and he got me back into collecting the toys lol

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Call them 'Videoverviews' and start a new trend. :) 

Personally I prefer pictorial reviews because it's easier to skim through and find exactly what I want without shuffling through a video and I can look at a nice static image of something without motion blur and murky details or hands in the way. 90% of the time when I do look at a video - often because I'm trying to get my head around a specific part of the transformation process - I'll turn the sound right down anyway because the person talking usually has an irritating voice or is painfully dull or it's just not relevant to my requirements.
    I don't have any particular preferred person for either videoverviews ( :p  ) or pictorial reviews - I'll just skip through what's there until I feel I've got the information I want about a figure. I have no interest in fancy introductions or several minutes of a musical opening before the figure info actually begins
    Let anyone that wants to do a videos do them. Nobody has to watch them if they don't like them. It's not like we're having to pay to watch and then feel conned out of coin if it's not to our liking.

7. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I've considered "showcase," but that seems to lend itself more to the flashy/bragging aspect I've been trying to avoid.

8. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

>_> Atleast we can all agree, that Peaugh isn't Sean Long.

9. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cause its easier to take potshots at the biggest and/or more successful ones.

When I want to see the details of a transformation etc, ill go to Peaugh.
    When I want to see Spreem destroy the universe with his Robo-Penis ill watch Vangelus. Both do the job they set out to do.

Its like the same people who say Michael Bay sucks and he raped their childhoods. I bet most of them were in the theatre on the first day, bought the Blu-Rays and movie figures even with all their belly aching.

Again I say to everyone if you don't like it, don't watch it.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yeah, 'showcase' might make people think 'show off'. Sad that you've gotta consider such things when you just wanna make a nice toy video. Perhaps 'Video Reveals' or 'Video Spotlights'? 'Spotlight On:______'

11. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I love watching Vangelus' videos because they're so entertaining and informative so well done. He just puts so much time and effort into them. just wish he'd do more of them more frequently.

I like Optibotimus' videos because they're very informative as well and he tells it like it is. He's not afraid to share his personal feelings. Much like Vangelus he let's you know if a figure is worth the price tag.

Peaugh is cool because he just does so many videos and he gets stuff so damn early. He's a machine. He gets the videos out there. Quick no nonsense videos. Here's the figure. This is what it does. The end.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I LOVE Vangelus' videos. Thorough, professional, opinionated and entertaining. :bowdown: 

Optibotimus says "fantastic" far too much for my liking. Reviews look good though.

Yeah, he gets figures early which is always good... I just wish the figures weren't out of frame/focus so much. :( 

13. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

While I really don't like video reviews in general, I kinda understand Transformer reviews as they can discuss transformations and problems associated with the them.

But the worst? People that video review action figures like DCUC and G.I. Joe. How much can anyone really say these toys other than "I like it" or "I hate it." And if they hate it, why did they purchase it? They know exactly what they're when look at the package, unlike a transformers that can surprised you with a unique transformation sequence. No, they bought something they hated Just so they could on youtube to do their review.

I really think that a lot of collectors now collect their toys, not for the toys, but because they want to make video reviews and have people notice them.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I avoid video reviews like the plague. I find them completely pointless. However I do get a kick out of Vangelus' videos due to his personality.

15. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I think Chaos Muffin has the best video reviews. His Tuner Mudflap review is only 30 seconds long and gets the point across to the viewer. I recommend everyone look up his YouTube channel (hint: loebig)

16. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    OMG that was freakin' hilarious!

17. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Oh, I like spotlight. Good call.

18. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Everyone is thankful for that.

19. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I make it a point to give an honest review and to speak my mind about it. If a figure is in my mind poor, I won't give it my recommendation. If I think it's great, I'll recommend it. I'll tell you what I liked about the fig and what I didn't like. I feel that as a reviewer that's your role...to critique the figure and to give a verdict on it.

20. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

i totally agree with this.

my very first review. it didn't turn out the way i wanted it.

YouTube - Transformers Toy Review: Animated blurr