RANT: Why are so many video reviews utter pump?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cal, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I'm browsing YouTube today for some good Transformers reviews, but the vast majority of videos I watch appear to be filmed by fans who have a minimum vocabulary and absolutely no critical ability. Typically the average review will go like this:

1) Overview of vehicle mode. "It's a nice mode. I really, really like it."

2) Transformation

3) Overview of robot mode. "And yeah... the robot mode is nice. I... uh... really like it a lot. Subscribe to my channel!"

Christ, man. I wouldn't subscribe to your channel after that pathetic effort! Showing off the figure from all angles and its articulation is all well and good, but what everyone fails to realize is that a review is meant to discuss what you like and dislike about the toy. Go into depth about the mold's details and paint applications, as well as highlight any important points buyers should be aware of. Just showing off your latest purchase and saying "I really like it" is not good enough, not by a long shot. If you're at a loss for words in front of the camera, it wouldn't kill you to write down key points to memorise. So please can everyone give a proper 'review' and not just an 'overview' of their Transformers?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
  2. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Sadly free and easy access to media outlets mean that anyone and everyone will try it, usually not for the benefit of everyone around them. That's why when it comes to reviews I tend to only watch a few guys whom we well know from this site and few others.

Sometimes I wonder if half of those reviews of early figures are just some people's "look at what I have and you don't" attempts as self gratification.

3. The touch79

The touch79 Sparticon

A majority of transformers toys are for kids 5 and up. So a majority of the people who like transformer toys probably have brains that function in that age range.

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I have a feeling a lot of the lesser known reviewers probably unconsciously mimic video reviews they've seen previously. They see a formula that works and they pretty much go with it - not that there's anything wrong with that, but I think it contributes to many video reviews feeling like if you've seen one you've seen them all.

5. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Dunno about you guys, but I watch Video reviews so I can see a figure in someones hands, and see just how it's engineered, and if that engineering works. Having a person with charisma and intelligence is just a bonus.
    People like Vangelus, Optibotimus, Peaugh, they're the kinda guys with those bonuses, and so, I watch them.

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I figure if it's a kid showing off his toy, let him have fun doing that. Maybe he posted it for his friends.

My rant would be for the big time reviewers who sometimes sound like they are phoning it in. "Here the new figure. It's red...it transforms (makes stupid joke or uses random silly voice)...bot mode. CONTEST TIME!" No talk of articulation or step by step transformation or a proper useful comparison.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Cause neckbeards want to make money on youtube.

8. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Yes, this is very true, for a younger kid doing a review that's not a big deal, it's gonna be what it is.

I think the OP was referring to "adults" who should know better. I know I was, but like has been said, the same rule applies for you tube in general, I tend to stay with folks and channel's I trust to deliver, stray at your own risk.

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only avoid videos from the weird guy that pretty much curses the entire time

"We have Masterpiece RODIMUS PRIME FUC&%S. Now, see you have to be a _______ idiot to not know how to transform this guy. Check this out __t__, first you gotta pull this Mother ______ legs right here..."

I can't stand him

10. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scratch that last one. I stopped paying attention to Peaugh's reviews after I learned he deletes criticism. I'd rather watch a hundred badly-orated reviews than from someone who is against free speech.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    It isn't a Peaugh review unless a toy gets dropped.

Personally if I did my own I wouldn't even know how to go about presenting myself in a way that could cater to everyone, I think only Vangelus does that and as such has made almost all his videos regardless of what actually toy is covered, worth watching.

12. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

:lol 

13. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is pretty much it. I'll agree that further specific feedback about things that work very well or very poorly is absolutely welcome- but the biggest thing is that if the review is passably shot it's often the first time I'll be seeing the actual toy rather than one heavily airbrushed image taken either from it's beauty angle (and not representative of what the toy looks like), or even worse sometimes a bad angle on a toy so mistransformed it's impossible to judge the toy fairly.

The video reviews can give a much better sense of the experience of the toy.

That's not to say some reviewers aren't better than others.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This! I would also ad TJ Omega to that list as he is brilliant and doesn't sugar coat anything his plastic addict videos are particularly good, and i have actually bought a figure based on one even though it really bad lol. There are few other that are good as well. Sometimes with older lesser known figures you have to take what you can though.

15. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I don't like the pantomine OTT antics, it makes me cringe. Also get a hair cut!

16. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

the ones that are annoying are the ones that sounds like a sales man. i just want to see the toy in action. so i fast forward and mute the annoying reviewer.

i agree with simonatmac's style of reviewing. clear, concise unbiased. does not sound like a salesman.

vangelus is entertaining and informative. i like the way he presents his videos as well. its kinda like watching those old 80's toy commercial kid where you see him playing with the toys. he also does not cross that line where he sounds like he's advertising the damn thing.

17. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

For me it is all about Mr.Vangelus, and once in awhile TJOmegus... though his content is as awesome as it used to be, it is still... there? ... VANGELUS FOR PRESIDANTE!!!

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
  19. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ha, I am one of those reviewers you are talking about (I think anyway). No charisma, monotone, and not very entertaining.

I have read the thread in the previous post about "who's your favorite reviewer" and based on all of the posts, there is no way possible you could make everyone happy. Vagelus comes the closest. I admire him as he is a great reviewer and a great guy. To be quite honest and somewhat selfish, the number 1 reason I do reviews is because I enjoy doing them and (#2) I enjoy the interaction with the community. I don't beg for you to subscribe to me, and if you don't like the reviewer, than by all means click "pause" and go check out another review. No one is twisting your arm to watch boring reviews.

For the most part, I think most people just want to see the toy. I like about 98% of my collection so therefore, I am probably going to say "I like the car mode", or "the robot mode is neat", etc. The reality is that the person watching the video has to make their own judgement and decide whether or not they like the toy (or even whether or not they want to subscribe).

Bottom line is, there are good reiewers and bad ones, and mediocre ones. If you don't like what you are watching then check out a different video. The "subscribe" button is to click for those who you like watching regularly.:popcorn 

20. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Vangelus Fan!!!!!! :popcorn