Rant: Stop it NOW! Stop overpaying for G1 items, it is hurting us all...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mr. Ginrai, May 25, 2011.

1. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I was wondering why everything was so much more expensive since absense from the fandom. I figured it was because of the movies. I didn't expect things to be so overly inflated as they are. I was especially surprised by Wheeljack's Lab, but I figure if sellers like him can make money on it, then so be it. If it didn't make business sense, they wouldn't be doing it. Mind you, I haven't been in the marketplace since M*O*T (Ministry of Toys) was still on ebay, and before the movie came out.

2. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

:lolol 

3. Grim Wanderer

Grim Wanderer Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

In my area, there's a sort farmer's market/flea market/vendor place that has a dude with a little toy shop. He has a ton of TFs, many of which are G1.
    He also charges ludicrous prices - generally he's wayyyy over what it would cost for a mint-er figure on ebay plus shipping.

But I've got a buddy who will just blindly buy anything. Oh, is the a loose Quake with no accessories? Only $40?! SURE!

4. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    All I know is if I lose my job, I can sell my G1 collection on ebay and make my house/car/bill payments for a couple months.

Of course,.. I might not make next months bills on time because of this months G1 purchases. Oh the irony...:D 

5. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm comfortable knowing that a few things i have can sell in an emergency.

6. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, raising awareness so that people stop "overpaying" (which partially is what is causing prices to rise) is in effect in one way or another, wanting prices to drop. It may not have been your point, but it is what it is. Its like viderant said and what I lightly touched upon. And item is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. If 100 people out of the millions of TF fans are willing to pay a price well over what you or I or anyone else would consider "reasonable", then unfortunately, that IS going to cause the trend you are trying to make people aware of. It all boils down to the how "bad do you want it" type phenomena. Awareness can only do so much, but in the end......if someone wants it bad enough, they will "pay" for it.

You can even compare this to the truth about smoking campaigns in recent decades. We all know smoking is bad for you....we are aware of it. But....people still smoke.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I can see where you're coming from. Rarity only makes it desirable if it's desirable. I know that may be your presupposition, but there are quite a few things that are "rare" but don't bring in a pretty penny.

[​IMG]

Gettin' ready . . . . :) 

Tuner Mudflap continues to take me to skool.

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

*facepalm*

'we' as in the people reading this thread on TFW, not 'all' as in everyone in existence in the universe and all dimensions. :rolleyes2  If you gotta split hairs that fine to make your point, then you're not really making any point at all.

9. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Well, I think we can all agree to disagree. Paying high prices kinda stinks for those who are buying....sweet for those who are selling. I myself would like to pay less if I could, but at the same token....I believe all is fair in the world of collecting. One can have a harsh attitude and say "Well, if you don't want to pay the high price, then don't buy it" yadda yadda yadda.....and we can have optimists/realists say there will always be that one good deal we can run across if we're patient enough to wait.

In the end though.....reality would say, and I say this again, "If you want it bad enough....there won't be anything stopping you from getting it."

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The very basis of G1 collecting is overpaying for items. People need to stop dictating how other people should spend their money.

11. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will give you all a chance to redeem yourself. I need Apeface, Skullcruncher and Snapdragon. Sell those to me at reasonable prices and all will be forgiven. REPENT YOUR SINS!

12. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I can understand vintage items being expensive, there should be some cost for difficulty in finding something. What I question is the level of expensive as of late. Especially when you look at ones that have been reissued, yet it doesn't touch the original's price at all, except on occasions where they jack the price of the original even more.

Which brings me to reissues. I can understand why an anime accurate Astrotrain costs a ton. Limited numbers of a version of the mold that I'm pretty sure was never done before. But Hound? There are TFC Hounds MISB going for more than the original MISB. What. The. Hell? Same with the TFC Minibots set. $250+? You can't even use the animation accurate head argument since the Encore rereleased that same mold with the S3 Minibots minus Hubcap. Was there a limited production run on the reissues? And why is TM Hot Rodimus cheaper than Rodimus Major?

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    And here I thought "CHUG" killed G1.

EL OH EL

14. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I call shenanigans. You never purchased those. You're standing in the store!!!

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Smoking has steadily decreased from over 40% in 1965, 30% in 1985 to less than 20%. If we stop overpaying for prices then Hasbro will have to target the same new group like big tobacco did. . .the kids. Oh the humanity.

Seriously though, awareness about overpaying is good and all but there's several huge differences between tobacco and plastic crack that jump out. First, smoking's a health hazard. Second, the campaign to get people to reduce smoking was able to hit a large target through television and other media.

I realize this is not the conclusion the OP wanted when you started this thread but the bad news is that the new movie will continue to draw more people in, the majority of who don't surf the boards, and the prices will continue to shoot up. Stock up on your G1's while you can. There's a storm coming and we don't know how long it's going to last.

16. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Yeah, but....while smoking has steadily decreased and for very good reasons (ones health), a lot of people chose to ignore what the "awareness campaign" is trying to do. All I'm trying to say with the analogy is.....people....will be people.

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Lucky for me we've had so many official reissues and unauthorized reproductions over the last several years. The last time I bought a "real" G1 figure was probably sometime in 2004. And I learned my lessons about future availabilty, loading up on extras of stuff I really liked when I could do so.

18. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The free market laughs in your general direction

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh snap! You got me! I forgot to post a photo of the receipt! That means I must not own any Tuner Mudflaps and especially these!

(yeah, you really got me, though :) )

I would say that it would THRILL me to see one AFA graded high (90+) and in a few years actually go for a pretty penny. Pretty penny as in >+$ than a G1 figure. Those Jumpstarters are just a lot more rare, though. Anything post-G1 has a tough hill to climb :)