Rant: Stop it NOW! Stop overpaying for G1 items, it is hurting us all...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mr. Ginrai, May 25, 2011.

1. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

Alright, I didn't think I would ever have to go down this road but I hope many of you will agree with me. I'm NOT posting this because I am hard up for money either. For someone my age (27) I have a good chunk of disposable income to use for all the toys I purchase, but I do have expenses to worry about like everyone else, and no, I haven't hit powerball yet either. But I am sure there are many fans who are looking for certain items, but they may be in a situation where they have to save what little they can to get that one figure maybe only as often as every few months or even once a year. It hurts them a lot, and it hurts us all when you really think about it.

Please read this ENTIRE post so you can get a sense of what I am saying and then feel free to give your opinion. Also, you should know this is coming from someone who has pretty much almost completed G1.

This rant basically stems from recent events and my informative follow up to the OP's thread here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...0-full-tilts-gun-price-check.html#post6086934

I didn't want to hijack, so I have started this thread because I feel like I can't watch this happen anymore, I am sick.

While there are some figures that are rare and expensive (Targetmaster Scourge, Roadbuster), figures that are rare but not expensive (say Nightbeat or Repugnus or Monstructor robot figures) and some that are just expensive (Fortress Maximus) these will tend to stay with that pricing pattern and will continue increase slightly over time.

The same pattern goes for accessories, and anything else that is not rare but carries a high "fan demand" or "memory trigger" due to popularity/resurgence from the movies, etc. And it is really with the accessories that things have been getting out of hand lately.

In addition to the Full-Tilt gun in the thread linked above, this has also been happening with Fasttrack guns from Scorponok, among a few other pieces. I *have bought them* (edited due to poor wording) for $15-20 each and no more than $30-40 for the pair. However, some geniuses have been spending $60 plus shipping for just ONE gun and of course wheeljackslab and/or other sellers then follow suit (they base pricing on most recent one sold, which is understandable), and then another guy goes and pays the crazy price, furthering another ridiculous sale because it will be the end of the world if he doesn't get the said figure/accessory now.

If we don't learn to set reasonable limits for ourselves or the market, then we will continue to get price gouged on G1 items like this time and time again, especially on the tough accessories which is my main reason for this thread. I know that the total price of a figure plus number of parts also dictates individual parts prices, but it doesn't increase them by insane margins.

Should a Joyride gun be $15 or $20? Yes, it's a tougher one. Should it be $30+? No. You get the idea.

Best example I saw of this was at Botcon 2010, and I will apologize if anyone in this story is a member here but this really bothered me. I was at a dealer booth looking at some G1 Autobot Car boxes and a guy came up and asked about a Pretenders Groundbreaker (I guess he was hot at the time, I know he is a little tougher to complete but really he is not that bad).

Dealer says something to him like I have three, shell and robot $80, next one has the same plus more parts, $110, and the last one has everything but one shoulder pad and that one was $130!!!! It wasn't even complete, are you serious? (For what it's worth, I didn't pay that much for a boxed one!)

To top it off the guy actually thought about it for a minute and then walked away and I am thinking "good for him, he made the right decision, he'll find the right one for him". About one minute later he proceeds to come back and tell the dealer that he will take the one for $130 and will "just hope to find the other shoulder pad". So here I am watching this go down and I am saying to myself, wow that shoulder pad is a pain to find. It's probably a $10-15 part normally, but if this figure just sold for $130 then it is highly likely that this guy will end up paying $30 for the piece and let himself get raked over the coals even further.

I continue to see similar instances where people just shut up and pay prices that are way too much and the trend decides to continue to spill over to ebay and sometimes even the boards (it just usually doesn't sell here). Really, everyone needs to calm down and learn that if you miss the current one of something, there will ALWAYS be another one. Trust me, I know.

I like a good deal as much as the next guy and strive to keep my collection costs as low as possible, but pay a fair price when I have to. Even if there is only one of something, someone will want to sell it at some point. If not, they make plenty of other figures for us to buy. Yes, there is stuff that will always be hard to get, but that doesn't mean you should pay or even think about paying three times more than it is currently worth just because it happens to show up when you are looking for it. A lot of the stuff we want was made by the ton. If you're looking for it, things will come full circle and you will get it at some point. So please, before you shell out for that next purchase, think of the other fans and first and foremost think of yourself and have a little patience.

Just my opinion...

2. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any market will bear prices that buyers are willing to pay. It's commerce, dude.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So you're buying multiples of rare figures and accessories? Then you're either shrinking the supply available to the market, driving up the price, or selling them off for what I assume is a profit, driving up the price.

As much as you've got a good point about people charging too much for what are essentially little plastic doohickeys, preventing all but the richest fans from getting them, as well as the lunacy of paying these prices, it gets drowned out in a subtext of "I don't want to pay this much to get stuff", and I hope that isn't really the case for you.

4. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    And you know what else? Gas is too expensive! And kids don't respect their elders!!

Sign of the times I guess. This is a collector's market, there will always be a fluctuation as interest waxes and wains. I bet you would be riding high on the hog if you were collecting in the 90's when TFormers were not as a prominent collector's market. High prices for old figs means 2 things;

1. There are new collector's that are trying to learn more about the history of a franchise that they have just been introduced to.

2. Collector's of a more veteran nature are coming into the means to get all the figs they ever wanted.

If there is a G1 figure that you really wanted that is too expensive, I under stand your frustration, just give it 5 years and you'll be shocked how much the price goes down when Bay stops lighting s*** on fire :D 

5. Cool Hand Lube

News Credits:
    It does come off as more than a little whiny.

6. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

Absolutely agree 100% - but even a great market doesn't dictate stupidity...that's what I am getting at, by illustrating what will always be at X price, etc. If people are stupid enough to throw out some of the numbers they have been, I almost feel like they don't even follow market pricing, they are just pulling numbers out of thin air...

7. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    yeah no matter what people are byeing in this world there will always be the one moron who just wants to pay that much extra for the here and now instead of looking around

but i agrea at the same time do we have a priceing guide on how much g1s are worth with out one of those no one realy knows the price

8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    God damn communist!

In all honesty, yes, it is frustrating dude, but it is the way of the world and specifically the way of the strange world of "collectibles".

I've got to ask though, why do you routinely buy the same part for the same figure? The only reason I could see is if it is to re-sell a complete figure at a profit, which would make you a part of the very same process you are denouncing? Right?

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're right and that's exactly his point. If we, the market, don't pay the current asking price then the market price goes down.

10. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    It's a side effect of the hobby being popular. There's more and more buyers, and not all of them grow up to be discerning and patient collectors. On the plus side, it's a lot more people that get buyers remorse a few years later and dump their collections, usually taking a loss on them, and that's where the patient collectors gain the most :D 

It is annoying watching people drive prices up on ebay for stuff. There isn't enough common sense to go around, so I just stay thankful that I have what little I've been given, and continue to be patient.

11. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

It gets this way before every movie. Where you been OP?

12. Cool Hand Lube

News Credits:
    Ugh. People ARE following market pricing if they are paying A) what sellers are asking, and B) the apparent going price for a given item.

While you may find those prices to be higher than what you are comfortable paying, it doesn't mean anyone is stupid for paying it, or that the market/prices are unfounded.

For example, I only collect 100% complete vintage 84-86 TFs, and the ONLY ONE I'm missing is Trypticon, I have EVERYONE else BUT HIM. Is that because all the other collectors are stupid except me, and that they are overpaying and screwing up my chances to obtain a complete vintage Trypticon? Not at all. I am simply unwilling to pay the going market price for what I want.

But that's the thing about markets. They rise and fall, and we're riding a high due to increased interest/awareness of our hobby right now, but it will come down again.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This is exactly why I'm content in not having every little unnecessary part for every old TF.

General rule - if it doesn't have a function in both alt and robot mode it's ignored.

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand your point, but that's the way it is. The whole point of an auction is for the seller to get the highest price he can from whoever is willing to spend the most. Those prices cause dealers to raise their prices becuase they see people are spending that kind of cash. There is no way around it, as a buyer wants it and has to do what he can. Not to mention that these days $20 just doesn't feel like that much, so things are going for higher prices in general.

15. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

I suppose it sucks if you are looking for the same exact item/part and you get outbid. If someone else deems it acceptable to pay that price and has the income then it is their choice. That may be a great deal to them if they have been searching for a long time. It may be a drop in the bucket to some while it is rent money to others and we can't tell other people how to spend their income, on their hobby.

Using your own words, move on and take the time to search for that great deal.

16. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I'll just ride with this quote

17. Cool Hand Lube

News Credits:
    Oh, and WTF? Why can I not find a G1 Streetwise gun for under $30? MORONS, I TELL YOU!!!! MORONS!!!

18. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

No, I am sorry if that was unclear. I am not buying multiples and selling at a higher price. I had bought a set a few months ago and ended up selling them for what I paid for them because they were not up to my standards (didn't match the condition of my figure well enough). I did recently get a set to replace them that I was very happy with (paid $40 total), and then a friend of mine was given two scorponoks (one boxed, one loose) by his cousin who no longer wanted them, and one needed fasttrack guns. We took the time to look, and still ended up getting him a pair for $45 shipped, and there was heavy action on them at the time. The point is we didn't have to pay $60 per gun but it is happening a lot.

And no, it's not a rich or poor thing either. As I said in the lengthy first post, "I love a great deal as much as the next person, but I will absolutely pay a fair price when I have to do it. I routinely spend $500-$1000 per month or every other month on items for my collection, sometimes a lot of stuff shows up at once, sometimes it's only one or two inexpensive things. Point is, I am willing to pay the current market but not the "anomaly" price that skews the past data. And really, you have to agree that it is a bit ridiculous. At the end of the day, they are still toys, albeit ones we love.

And I am sorry if it seems a little whiny, I know it was long winded but it really stems more from just the "shock" of watching it happen, rather than being angry about it.

19. MrSneis

MrSneis Build Giant Robot!

News Credits:
    Though I don't go after G1 figures, I would tend to agree with OP here. I can but don't believe in overpaying for figures; I think it's crazy that a Classics Skywarp goes for as much as a masterpiece Skywarp. The FP Ultra Magnus kit and FP Dark Scyther also come to mind in terms of crazy pricing gouging even here on our own board.

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not to sound uber defensive of the OP, but if you're going to argue his point at leaet understand the point being made. One overpriced, anomoly auction does not set market value. Neither does an 'auction' starting at $125 when it's the only one currently up for sale. The market price, or average for lack of a better term, requires multiple sales over a period of time without to much fluctuation. Only then can the market price be established.