Customs: Rant Enclosed: F this

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by aledromo, Jul 3, 2012.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

I tried new brushes. Uneven, strokey paint coverage

I tried thinning the paint. Uneven, strokey paint coverage.

I tried brush on primer. Uneven, strokey paint coverage.

I tried spray on primer. Uneven, strokey paint coverage.

I tried new paint. Uneven, strokey paint coverage.

I tried wetsanding. Uneven, strokey paint coverage.

I tried justifying the time and money I spent on all of this. I cannot.

I'm furious and frustrated. Mostly furious. It seems that I cannot repaint toys unless I want them all to look like 1990s zubaz pants. Hide kids now as I'm about to swear.

Fuck this.

Anyone want to buy a bunch of paint? And toys? I'm seriously about to burn the whole fucking lot of them just so I can hit the melted pile of ashes with a bat and then pour gasoline on them all to burn them again.

I guess it's time to turn to sprays. I hate how fucking miserable this stupid, stupid thing has allowed me to feel.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It sounds to me like it's time for a video game to blow up stuff or something.

Dude, trust me when I say that any artist worth his weight has been right there. For whatever reason, stuff just ain't working out, time and money have been spent, and, boy am I hungry! Quaddy needz cheeseburger and does not want to SEE a Transformer!

I know I've said it several times, but repetition wont' hurt: with certain projects, one just has to know when the time is right to just keep plowing on or when it's time to step away and go watch a movie or something. It can be difficult, but this is an instance where I think at least a good movie or video game is the order of the day.

Another thing I've done as well is just start up another completely unrelated project and sit the other one down. It typically looks better with a fresh set of eyes.

I hope all of that helps, bud :) 

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't give up. You said you thinned the paints. How much did you then them?? For brushing paint, you need the consistency of milk. Runny, but still holds to the surface. And go in this layers bud. Trust us when we say that results come with time and practice.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Everyone's been there. The worst thing you could possibly do is give up.

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    This is truth.

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

You said you used new brushes, but how big were the brushes you were using?

You get a more even layer using a larger brush. Obviously it spreads out more, and you don't have to reload the brush as much.

7. aledromo

The ones I've used are/were rather all. I thought that would be better for detail. Can any of you post a photo of your favorite brush?

And when you brush on these milky layers, do they cover evenly or do they leave uneven bits that are covered by later on coats? Thanks.

8. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I paint just using brushes and the way I do it is to do an undercoat first, then layers using medium sized brushes, one coat in one direction, then the next coat in another, criss crossing it can help disguise the brush marks. Don't worry about doing detail to begin with, getting the main coat of paint down first should come first and then once that is finished you can come back with the smaller brushes to add in the detail.

It is important not to use too much paint too, when I was first starting out I used to go for full coverage straight away and it all looked uneven and thick.

Painting is an exercise in patience unfortunately but if you can get the technique down if all feels worth it in the end.

9. aledromo

Any good videos anywhere of this kind of technique? All I find on youtube is people using airbrushes and sprays. My first coat usually goes down looking very thick. When I try to thin it with a brush so it won't booger up, I get lines and streaks. If i go on too thin, then I'm starting with lines and streaks and I never seem to get those covered no matter how many coats I add. I suppose the answer is: do it right.

I know frustration is the norm, but it does make one feel stupid.

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nothing to feel stupid about at all. As for tutorials, I don't know of any off hand. Though I could put sweating I saw one somewhere. Maybe by jinsatome??

11. I AM MEGATRON

I AM MEGATRON pleasure model

Heres a playlist you can sift through to find some:

Custom Transformers & More! - YouTube

theres more too, Im pretty sure Solrac333, and zildjan (sp?) also have tutorials on youtube, I know Solrac333's had painting tips.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Acrylic brushes work best for me. What kind are you getting?

13. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

Ive certainly been there, im there right now actually, but you know what? I keep goin, not only cause its my passion but because with practice comes perfection, trial and error should always be expected when it comes to painting, some figures will take paint perfectly and some it wont, you just need to figure out what works best

14. aledromo

It turns out I have been working with a pack of nylon brushes. Problem?

15. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

it sounds like you're applying too much paint.

First off, when I'm adding base coats such as red, yellow or blue, I prime the part/figure with gray primer.

I do a lot of handpainting entire figures. I usually apply 3 coats for a base paint. I dab my brush into the paint, and I always have a paper towel handy, and I'll "paint" the paper towel, getting rid of the majority of paint in my brush, almost preparing for drybrushing. The less paint on your brush the better. This will give you a thin first layer, it will be uneven in some areas, but once you repeat this process a couple more times, you have a nice solid base coat.

16. aledromo

I'll try that paper towel trick tomorrow. I do think my layers are going on thick, but hadn't had any luck filling in the uneven parts on subsequent layers of thin things. Just have faith and keep adding layers?

Do you thin your paint at all, Thyvipera? Also, any brush-size preferences?

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Honestly, nylon bristles are my preference. :) 

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Nylon isn't bad either, but I'd check to make sure the brushes are properly cleaned and that there aren't any bristles coming off while painting. At this point, I think it has more to do with technique than anything else. There's just something that you're not quite doing right.

19. aledromo

An apology

Sometimes life gets frustrating. And sometimes the little challenges inherent to the things you use to hide from life's frustrations can inflame more than they allay. Of late, it's been brought to my attention that I've allowed these frustrations to make me into a needy, negative, whiner. I'm genuinely embarrassed and apologize to everyone who's tolerated my recent tone.

Further, I'd like to thank everyone who in addition to putting up with my spoiled child routine, actually provided helpful solutions and ideas that have given me what I need to get back on the horse. It's supposed to be fun, but we all know that it sometimes isn't. Thanks for helping me get back to the good stuff.

20. aledromo

Agreed. But I'll keep at it and when I find out how to video myself I'll share that here for the forums to critique. Thanks!