"Rank" the Planet X Dinobots?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Negronicus, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Negronicus

Negronicus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can anyone who owns them all rank them for me? I own Vulcan and hes perfect imo, but i am thinking of adding another to my collection, just not sure which one. The two i was leaning heavily towards were Neptune and Quirinus. If there are any qc issues that stand out with these id also appreciate if anyone could let me know

2. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd say Vulcun (Gotta love Grimlock!), Quirinus, Neptune, Summanus, Caelus. Quirinus is an excellent figure that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Summanus is a great design but it felt a bit rushed, and there were some QC issues with some of the fragile pieces (the back plates, the tail, etc.). There's also a general looseness in the hips and ankle, which gets worse with the top heavy design of the character. If not for these issues, I would've placed him above Neptune on the list. Caelus is kind of the runt in the pack before PX figured out what they wanted to do with the FoC line and feels a bit out of place beside everyone else, hence why he's ranked below the others.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Negronicus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you! Yeah I like Callus too but theres something that feels "plain" about him thats keeping me from wanting him. So Qbirinus over Neptune? Was leaning towards Neptune too haha....and theres no qc issues with those two?

4. alex1984

Neptune is nice and solid, and perhaps a bit bulky. There's a bit of kibble which is okay for me considering his alt mode. However, he is a bit plain as well when compared to the rest of his line mates.

5. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saying it was a six way tie of perfection wouldn't be helpful (even if I mostly believe it). I'd say Quirinus is the best of them. Sleek robot mode, straightforward transformation, nice weapons, etc.

Slug (Perfect)
    Grimlock (Smallest complaint about the tail transformation - something has to break the tie)
    Paddles (I prefer Paddles to Sludge, but there isn't a huge difference in terms of quality, transformation, heft, etc)
    Sludge
    Snarl (A few titchy issues in transformation, shitty ankles)
    Swoop (Small, least interesting transformation)

6. alex1984

In terms of the transformation and quality of the figure, I'd agree with you in ranking Slag above Grimlock. There were a lot of very intricate and clever steps that really Wow-ed me. However, being that it's Grimlock, I can't really stay subjective.

7. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    slag, snarl, grimlock, sludge, swoop. slag and snarl are probably tied because they're both really good, grimlock's perfect except for having to flex plastic for the tail, sludge is just run of the mill and kinda boring, swoop is too small, has goofy wings and a bad headsculpt.

8. ib4cx3pt

ib4cx3pt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. Vulcan
    2. Summanus ( this is just personal preference I think the stegosaurus mode is the best ever. future floor polish fixed the loose ankles and future and rubber bands fixed the loose hips.)
    3. Quirinus ( Solid in both modes and easy to transform, but a little gappy underneath his neck in Triceratops mode. I also had to use future to tighten joints on his shoulders and head.)
    4. Triton ( I love the Plesiosaurus mode. He/she is enormous.)
    5. Neptune ( technically the same as Triton but this figure when if first got i thought i would just think he was ok, but he has grew on me a lot.)
    6. Caelus ( Nothing really wrong with this figure, just the other figures are so good).

9. Negronicus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely getting Qbirinus...now its just a matter of whether i want Neptune or Triton

10. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Vulcun kills it; he's definitely the most solid, the crowning achievement of the line by far. However, he's not my favorite from this line. If he was larger, like FansToys-sized, then he'd be my perfect Grimlock and my favorite transformer. That's my primary complaint across the entire lineup, though: they are all too small for me. Anyway, he's the only when I kept. There are a lot of great figures coming out this year, and I had to sacrifice the rest of these guys to raise the money. I'm really sad about it, and I might pick up one or two of them again in the future, provided certain QC issues I had were flukes.

Anyway, Quirinus would be my number-one if he wasn't also the only one that I had catastrophic QC issues with; a flaw in his engineering causes the posts inside his calves that his tail tips attach to tear off. I also had to reheat his entire head in order to make the sockets settle around his horn's and stop them from popping off. Beyond that, he has a ton of character in both modes. He is a terrific figure, as long as you don't run into those issues. If I hadn't, I would still own him and he would be the primary Slag in my collection.

Summanus I LOVED when I first got him. His dinosaur mode is so god damn cool, the best stegosaurus mode I've yet seen and I did not have any of the quality issues that others had with him. He's just awfully stiff as a stegosaurus, barely any articulation at all in the body. Still, he's definitely the prettiest in the line in both modes.

Neptune is stiff too, in both modes. He's also positively tiny. I'm one of those weirdos who thinks that he should be bigger than any of the others, especially after seeing the cutscenes featuring him. He really should be my least favorite. Except..

Caelus suffers horribly from being the first toy in this line. He's just not as successfully executed as the other characters. He's not very accurate to the game, he's not very articulated, and his dinosaur mode feels like a brick with fins. I love all his extra, moving parts. They add a lot of play value to him but he's simply a mess.

11. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

I had and sold off Caelus. Got into The FP Dinos and eventually made a 6 bot team thats half px and half fp

So my dinos are Grimlock, Summanus, and Groton
    With FP providing Swoop, Slag, and Sludge. The aesthetics are very different, but by splitting the 6 bot team in half, it mashes just fine. Almost as if it were intentional

12. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Too many people hung up on size :rolleyes:  Following Vulcun, Caelus is actually the best designed and engineered. No QC issues at all, and his simplicity (compared to the other PX dino transformation) is what makes him so glorious. You can do several poses with Caelus that cannot be done without support aid or just simply cannot do with the other PX dinobots. Snarl (to me) is the one with the most issues (just the ankle-tilt problem and tail issue). I've encountered no issues with my copy of Slag. And my only gripe with Neptune is never getting the underbelly to tab all the way in, sometimes just hanging there loosely.

Rating them from best to worse -
    1. Vulcun (Grimlock)
    2 Caelus (Swoop)
    3. Quirinus (Slag)
    4. Neptune (Sludge)
    5. Summanus (Snarl)

What cutscene? With the exception of them showing a hologram of his dino-mode and the corpse lodged up into a wall, which neither gave zero references to any size comparisons, there wasn't any cutscenes with Sludge.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  13. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Can't remember all their official names but my ranking would be

Slag
    Swoop
    Grimlock
    Paddles
    Snarl (he does have known qc issues with joints and the Dino spines)
    Sludge