Rank the Cullen Optimuses

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Oct 7, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Okay, my ranking is:

G1 - the original, the best, the greatest Optimus Prime ever.

TFilms - It was great watching him in action, finally cut loose and be a real life badass (although I thought DOTM overdid it).

Prime - He's pretty standard. Apart from the Orion Pax arc, this is the same Optimus but a little grimmer and stoic.

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Prime Optimus Prime's dialogue is a little overdone. Both the way it's written and the way Cullen performs it makes even the most trivial statements sound profoundly grandiose.

"In times of great hunger, obtaining a large piece of ham may be a wise choice."

As an aside, could you please stop using that "TFilm" abbreviation? Nobody else besides you uses it, and it looks a little... awkward. It's like abbreviating "Optimus Prime" as "OPrime". Please don't take this the wrong way.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    G1 wins for me by a mile. Peter Cullen defined that as his version of the character in G1, everything since (and FYI, you missed the War / Fall of Cybertron) has been trying to recapture that performance rather than making something new of the character. Movie OptimusPrime sounds a bit out of character when he goes into action hero mode, nd Prime Optimus Prime has a certain spark missing (ironically, I find Peter Cullen's Orion Pax to be an excellent take on the character, sounding more human and down to earth than Prime Optimus Prime has ever been allowed to be)

4. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    They're all pretty bland characters tbh. G1 is the original, so I'll go with him, I guess.
    The films is my least, because he pushes the violence and bloodthirstiness too far and makes his speeches about peace and freedom extremely hollow and hypocritical.

In the end, my favourite Primes were not Cullen.

5. Thighmaster

Thighmaster Active Member

G1 ranks at the top simply because the guy played basketball, was once an alligator, had his arm strapped to a building, and overall was a fun guy in addition to being as competent of a leader G1 can allow. Cullen was younger and his voice in G1 reflected this. This doesn't even touch on the fact it's so dang iconic.

WfC/FoC is as close as you're going to get to the G1 Prime while maintaining the SUMMER ACTION BLOCKBUSTER tone of the games. Some of the writing for the games were great and Cullen sold it well.

TF Prime would come next and I have to agree with Nevermore. The guy is a walking fortune cookie where every statement is steeped in gravitas and requires a very serious manner of saying the most mundane things. I think Prime would be the worst character in the whole show if it wasn't for Miko.

As far as Prime in the Bay films, I don't know what to say really. It's not like he was easily understood during the flurry of combat and his lines outside of combat are either long verbose strings of nothing or completely ridiculous statements that make you wonder if the screenwriter did a second draft or not. And like Gaga I agree that him shouting "GIVE ME YOUR FACE" or "KILL THEM ALL" really stepped away from what Prime seemed to represent in other source material and as said very flip-floppy on the issue of peace.

Plus the end of the first film where his dedication to Jazz amounted to "Oh Jazz..." before getting ready to speak over a Linkin Park song had me in stitches.

(This all said I still think Garry Chalk is by no means inferior to Cullen for Optimus voicing, regardless if Cullen got the ball rolling.)

6. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Honestly I never cared for any Optimus Culler ever done. But if I just HAD to choose one it would be G1.

In both Prime and WFC/FOC he just sound so bored and lifeless and I don't care for the movies that much.

7. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    I don't like Cullen's Optimus, but if I had to choose one it'd be G1.

8. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

1: WFC/FOC Optimus r00led: (And I'm a super dedicated G1 d00d) Cullen/the witers took what made Prime great in G1 and turned it up to 11.
    2: G1 Optimus: Prime was the focus of the G1 series for me while I was growing up so it's really a no brainer. I guess only Cullen could outdo himself.
    3: Prime Prime: He really is over the top. It's good at times as he plays out as a very reassuring leader but at times it comes across as cheesy.
    4: Movie Prime: Who the fuck is this guy and why's he sound like Optimus Prime.

....oh, and there is no other voice for Optimus Prime for me. The rest have sounded fairly generic and uninspired.

9. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Movie-verse
    G1
    Aligned

I think all of them are similar and are my favorite Optimus Primes there differences are based on what the era and tone is.

such as g1 was lighter and more kind hearted to fit the 80's tone but was still a great role model and leader.

Bay verse is more violent to fit with the more serious tone but has a similar personality but since this can be darker then g1 he can go more all out violent which makes sense and is more serious

Prime is a toned down Bay because its a cartoon and can't be as violent or graphic. He is serious because the show is serious but not as violent because he can't be

10. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Hahaha, well done.

Yeah, his dialogue is too much. I wish they'd take it down a notch...

11. PolythenePrime

PolythenePrime Well-Known Member

In G1 he sounded more lively and fun. Now he just sounds uninspired anymore. I understand the serious tone current adaptations have developed, but I miss the G1 prime just for his more energetic voice. WFC/FOC got close.

12. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    G1-He's a serious leader whilst still being able to have fun
    Films- More serious this time, but still showing emotion at times and more willing to get the job done, albeit a bit brutally
    Prime- ...........Well....he's......um....well he's Optimus I guess, that's probably all I can say, he's that unremarkable

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    G1.

The 1986 Movie will always be his best performance.

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    G1, movie, Prime.

15. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    WFC/FoC
    Movies
    G1
    Prime

16. AMG

AMG Old School

1) G1
    2) Movie
    3) TFP

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:

I agree with you completely . Although i put prime and the bayverse nearly neck and neck.

18. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector I'm British i am

News Credits:
    Movieverse
    G1
    WFC/FOC
    Prime

19. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facepalm.

20. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

G1 had more personality period! Both personalities of movie Prime and TFP are as dry as the Sahara Desert.