Random Musing - Power Core Drones

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Completely random thought that came to my mind with Skyhammer stood in front of me here with the Aerialbots combined with him.

Why do the Power Core Combiner drones have faction symbols on them?

I see the drones more like the Armada Mini-cons, which Hasbro themselves said "belonged to neither faction" way back when Armada was running. I can see why drone sets are released with Autobots or Decepticons, but it just seems really weird to me to have Skyhammer running around with Autobot symbols on his arms.

So yeah, minor nitpick that I've already seen past, but it just seems strange that Hasbro would divide the limb sets into "goodie" and "baddie" sets when the core of the gimmick is the ability to swap out / mix and match.

2. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kind of a nitpick of mine as well. Especially with drones that don't make all that much sense like the military vehicles with Stakeout and the Protectobots. The first thing I did with those drones was put them on Bombshock to make him look more symetrical.

But to be fair, they really are too small to notice unless you're looking for them.

3. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They do it so you will buy more and at £20 a pack there gonna be cashing in

4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Since drones follow their Commander, the faction leaders may just put on the insignias so fellow troops won't shoot their own drones.

I was under the impression the drones, despite the interchangeability, were built with a specific Commander in mind (in fiction, obviously the toys were), and weren't just found wandering around somewhere. Thus a certain team of drones would belong to a certain Commander (and may very well technically be part of the Commander, even containing a fragment of their Spark!).

5. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A pet peve of mine aswell since I like the rally bot drones with the black huffer to make menasor a decepticon with autobot symbols, also wish they'd sell drones in seperate packs without the commanders so we can have enough drones for all the commanders

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Totally agree. I think putting faction symbols on the drones was not the best idea. It's not like they are sentient characters in their own right. It would be nice if they were faction-free so that they could be assimilated by other commanders (not that they couldn't anyway.... if you owned a pair of shoes with your team logo on it, it's not like an opposing team member couldn't steal them and use them anyway, logo notwithstanding).

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Huffer's currently wearing my Destructicon drones. It's faction wrong but since it's my only set of limbs and I have eight Scout Commanders of varied faction to share them between I'm not fussed if it's an Autobot wearing Decepticon gloves and boots.

I think that, yeah, it would've made more sense to not have faction logos on the drones, but then maybe it might've also been cool to have Reveal the Shield rubsigns on them and which faction your drones turn out to be could be unknown until you take them out of the packaging and apply a cosy thumb to them. At least then the faction logos are blacked out if not warmed up so no-one can tell what faction they are just looking without touching and you can mix and match to your heart's content. If factions are mixed just pretend some drones are double agents hiding their real loyalty with a rubsign.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I don't know why they bother saying that you can mix/match the drones with any PCC character when the drones are clearly marked with either an Autobot or Decepticon insignia, either.

But then again, I wasn't planning on mixing/matching drones. Unless I find that there's a particular drone that would go well with a different PCC commander (but still within the same faction), all the drones are going to remain with their commanders.

9. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Probably to encourage repaint buying. But I also find it pretty silly.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Given how all of these molds (both commanders and drones) all get redecoed, I don't see as big of a deal about faction insignias. We've seen a number of these drone molds released as both Autobot and Decepticon.

11. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked how Superion took hie enemy's (can't remember which one) drone limbs in Energon, and that's probably how I see it if I own any PCC combiner sets.