Customs: Rampage Shovel Fix

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rhinox555, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Revenge of the Fallen Rampage is one of those bots that needs a ton of fixes. One fix i haven't seen around yet is to prevent that damn shovel from falling off, so here's the tutorial.
    You need:
    -A hobby knife
    -A pin vise with a 1.5mm drillbit
    -Something to use instead of a pin. Most pins from other transformers are a bit too thick and will risk tearing the plastic during movement, so find something else that's 1.5 mm thick. I stopped at a piano shop and got some of the wire they use to make pins (they use the same kind of pins for their parts). It exists in various sizes, but i found that a 1.5 mm wide piece will offer the best stability for Rampage.
    Time to do some fixin' now:
    After taking off Rampage's shovel, chop off one of the notches with your hobby knife, leave the other one on for now.
    Put the shovel back on using the remaining notch (you'll need to keep it in place with your hand a little) and on the de-notched side, use the hole of the hinge as a pilot hole for your pin vise. drill about halfway through, you don't need the other notch anymore, so take the shovel off again, chop the second notch off, and continue your drilling until you've drilled all the way though. Grab your substitute pin, and use it to attach the shovel securely, if it's a little loose, apparently pouring some Tamiya Liquid cement in there works wonders.
    Your Rampage's shovel should no longer fall off now, enjoy your shovel.

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    YAY for pin vises!!! Just some helpful advice for the good folks, a .052" guitar string (roughly the low E) can work well for a 1.5mm pin if you're in a pinch!

Nicely done Rhinox, thanks for sharing!:thumbs2: 

3. Rhinox555

That's a neat idea. A banged-up old guitar might be able to provide some pins.
    As long as those aren't prone to rusting.

And YAY for pin vises indeed!

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Some guitar strings are available in stainless steel. I personally use GHS Boomers, but I think they are nickel plated steel. Didn't even think of rust issues, but after the paint is dry, it may offer a degree of weatherproofing!

5. Rhinox555

Small hint i forgot, test the hole you drilled by temporarily inserting a nail, and seeing if that holds the part correctly.

6. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hate to be "that guy", but can we get any pics of this process -- or at least the result?

7. Rhinox555

If they release a Red redeco of Rampage, i'll get a video tutorial up.

8. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    :useless 

9. Rhinox555

Equally useless are posts that complain about something answered right above them.