Ralph Bakshi apprecation

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Jul 4, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i haven't seen any of his works in ages- I think it was American Pop on cable in the early 90s- but i do remember the animation style was impressive.

i am thinking about looking for his other works. wanted to hear from people who really like his work as to what's really good or what to like about it.

and if there's another animator in the style of Bakshi that you know of, i would love to be pointed in that direction as well.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    To properly appreciate Bakshi, all posts in this thread will now be rotoscoped.

3. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You must see Wizards.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    To me Ralph Bakshi is the animation equivalent of the goth kid in high school who tried way too hard to freak people out.

5. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i looked up his credits over at IMDB; will give Wizards a look- my local Blockbuster has it.

may have to search for Fire and Ice.
    Am going to totally skip Cool World. It's like a racier, crappier version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. not that big a fan of Brad Pitt.

6. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Um...

Will I get in trouble if I mention this?
    Scatman Crothers is in it. That's something, I guess.

It's a...difficult film, but tries to say a lot about the subject matter and stereotypes in media.

- Coeloptera

7. Lazeric

Lazeric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have a "Cool World' poster hanging up... X^P
    I caught the last half of his panel at NYCC a couple years back, it was really kinda inspiring and I wish I had seen the whole thing. I think he was there with the guy who put together this book to help promote it.

Right... Art for shock-value sake. Sort of like drawing sexy females in revealing G1-costumes, lol. Or, more like doing whatever you want and to hell with what others think.

8. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

I like Cool World a lot,but I have zero interest in checking out his other movies that he has to offer.

9. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:

According to IMDB, the NAACP actually gave (reluctantly) their approval for that film.
    also, from what happened to it, it is sad to know that what some consider ugly gets tucked away and not given a chance to become either accepted or rejected by the right criteria.

just saying, i would rather have critics, historians, experts decide if a film is relevant; not a petition by the readers of Redbook or Reader's Digest.

arguments aside about what is or isn't art (cinema), i will watch what i can of Bakshi, determine what it's worth to me and leave it at that.

it took me about 13 years to watch The Godfather I & II, and then i had to watch those films twice before i understood what made them great (to me.)

still, nothing attempted, nothing gained.

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Watch Fire & Ice. It would be a shame if you don't. If you like sword and sorcery movies that is.

11. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

^I did see a trailer for it.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I've seen most of them. I like them. There's always flaws and various aspects that prevent them from being classics, but there's something there that really you can't get anywhere else. His best films are the early ones like Fritz the Cat and Heavy Traffic. Fritz the Cat isn't as good as Crumb's comic, but it captures some of the spirit of it.

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Oh, also, go into the film realizing that who you think is the hero, really isn't.

It's really the big, Native American-type guy. He rules.

- Coeloptera

14. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    got a free day, got Wizards sitting on the tv stand while i got Fire and Ice coming later this evening. friends are gonna chug a few brews and watch it.

may pull out a non-Bakshi flick after those 2 just for kicks. Heavy Metal was fun back in the day.

<--------------5000th Post!

15. chadwarren76

chadwarren76 New Member

Bakshi to the Future

We're all cartoons because we let our culture be created by those who would devastate it.

Ralph idolizes his New York youth in the streets of the Big Apple before Disney took it over. Used to be you could see the dirt and it was honest but now its clean but the people are dead.

You'll never look at 50's gang culture with the slicked back hair and turf wars the same. There was a real life deal that inspired the Fonz.

We're all way too keyed into shit now and you can learn what cool was all about. Step off from it 45 degrees and play around with the usual mumbo jumbo. (If there was ever a time to shake up the status quo, this is it. When we kid around it can reveal that when people are serious, its a joke, and vice versa - keeps ya sharp, ya know?

Just standin' on a corner doin' nothin', just bein' there. Kinda zen but with gang fights because youthful rebellion makes the world go round too. When you got the right mindset, you tune into that fantasy world and it connects you with events in the here and now that let that dream come true. Follow your intuition and don't just use a product as directed but pull out whatcha want.

I'm watchin' _Hey Good Lookin'_ now
    Its one of the more upbeat one's for me that works around a theme we know of bein' an up and comer finding your place in the world.

Listen, everybody wants to stick a cell phone up their ass or become a transfomer these days. How long you think its gonna be till someone cuts their legs off on purpose to get super titanium legs?

Yeah, thats gonna be a cartoon for sure as body mods go off the chart. Just don't forget about your soul - that's the ghost in the machine man. Don't trade your life at the Crossroads without coming to appreciate what you are which is spirit. Only, you can't see it suckin' on Mtn. Dews levelling up all day.

Get lost in the woods or work on a car. If you don't have a cool social scene well stir it up man.

That's how Bakshi is relevant today. You get to see all this wrong behavior of violence, womanizing, racism back when it meant something and you realize that is how things are and no fucking public service message is gonna help shit. We are, by helping ourselves to what the world offers if we'll just jump off that diving board and take a chance that somethin' big is gonna happen if we dare to dream out loud.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]