Rage! (or, how I'm wasting my time)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Creaky, May 13, 2010.

1. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

Oct 9, 2008
    News Credits:
    Sup guys, gotta vent for a moment.

I was due to start a degree in media (in prep for me becoming a teacher in the future) back in september. It was then pushed back to january, and then again to this september. My doctor has basically told me that with my conditions I'm in no fit state to work, so I can't get a job - and now I've been told that they've FRIGGING CANCELLED MY COURSE. It's too late in the year to apply for another course this year, so that's two years wasted doing eff all. I'd love a job, to earn money, but frankly (a) there's none available and (b) I'm disabled and the damned places can't provide for me. Now my last chance has been snatched away, and I feel ever so defeated.

2. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2005
    News Credits:
    I know how it feels but there's not a lot you can do about it but consider your options and not give up.

I went through something very similar recently.

Last year I finished up 3 years of working to save money and find a university to go to to finally get a degree in paleontology (I already have a degree in archaeology, but it's just not close enough to paleontology for me). So I went to Saskatoon (which for someone who hasn't traveled very much is actually pretty far away), and despite some hassels finding a place to live that didn't look like it was out of a resident evil film I moved into a place that cost pretty much double what residence was going to and completed the first symester of classes.

When I started the second symester I started asking some questions about the other paleontology courses that I had been lookign at but weren't available that year. It seemed like something normal since courses aren't available every year, and the program was still listed as available (I was registered in it), so I wasn't too worried.

I then found out that the professor in charge of teaching those vertebrate paleontology courses that I needed for my degree had died 2 years earlier, they had no intention of replacing them, and the specialization I was in wasn't offered any more, but that they "hadn't updated the website yet".

I withdrew from the U of S the next day and came back to Calgary a week later. Now I'm in a library technicians program and am doing quite well at it. I'll probably end up going through with the masters as well. It's not what I intended originally, but there's some interesting stuff for it, and I think I'll come out ahead in the end with it.

The point is, keep open to other options and don't feel like you failed. They failed you. It's hard to deal with that right now, and its a pain to find something else, but don't give up on finding something worthwhile to do.
  3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sep 8, 2005
    That's a terrible way to feel! You definitely failed. I'm not saying you're a failure, not at all, but if you wanted something and you didn't get it, then you failed.

I think it's important to realize when you've come up short, because it encourages you to be independent and overcome challenges. If you perceive situations as resulting from others failing you, you create a mindset whereby you're dependent on them and you're powerless to change your circumstances. If you think that way, then it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.