Rage of the Red Lanterns. spoilers

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Oct 29, 2008.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I just creamed my pants:D 

Here´s what I HOPE that wave 3 contains:

Kyle Rayner
    Soranik Natu
    Agent Orange
    Another Black Lantern

I´m still hopping for a Natu figure....

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I just finished Green Lantern #37. The last page was the biggest "oh $#!+" moment for me since the last page of the Sinestro Corps special.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well that wasn't what I expected....

4. General Magnus

Is it me or does Geoff has a thing against The Lost Lanterns?

5. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    No he gets you to care about a character, then he takes them down. If you didn't care about them it wouldn't be as shocking. It'd be like when Goliath died in civil war, he hadn't been used in so long in comics he was the equivilent of a red shirt on star trek.

6. General Magnus

Do you consider that a good or bad thing?

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alas, poor Purple Psylocke Lantern.

I shall always remember how you were... um, purple. And Psylocke. That's pretty much it. :p 

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished GL#37 and very impressed with it. Glad to see some more of the Red Lanterns getting names and learning a couple of the Red Lantern weaknesses. As for where the shocker on the last page is going, my speculation...

SPOILERS - I think the Red Lantern ring is the "new power ring" that Hal is getting, referenced in the solicits for an upcoming part of Agent Orange. This issue establishes that a Red Lantern ring can't be removed without causing immediate death so, barring some other plot device, I'd wager that Hal's stuck with it. Next issue, he'll find some way to overcome the influence of the Red ring but be unable to remove it. Over the course of the Agent Orange arc, Hal will learn to access the Red ring's powers without being consumed by it's influence...and be on his way to becoming the one individual able to use all facets of the emotional spectrum (keeping in mind that he's used Yellow rings in the past and is considered to have the aptitude for using a Blue ring).

This is me being a bit cynical but, while I don't think Johns has anything specifically against the Lost Lanterns, I think he does have a problem with characters that don't like Hal. The Lost Lanterns had a problem with Hal and now they're all dead (Jack T. Chance, Kehann, others whose names escape me), corrupted (Laira), converted into 'emotionless' officers (Boodikka), have disappeared from the series or some combination thereof. Everyone in Hal's supporting cast (on the rare occasion they actually show up) like him. Hal's villains either like him (Sinestro), have a crush on him (Hector Hammond, Star Sapphire) or have no personal grudge against him (Cyborg Superman, The Shark, Black Hand, etc); the only villain so far who actually had a personal grudge against Hal is dead (Amon Sur). Given that, it just seems to me that the purge of the Lost Lanterns is a symptom of Johns being unable/unwilling to write a character that doesn't like Hal Jordan.

9. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Good thing If I don't care about a character it means nothing if they die and it doesn't advance the story.

10. General Magnus

Being a Lost Lantern is not a nickname, it´s a goddam Hit List...

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Another great issue, now I can't wait for Hal to get a Blue Ring. It'd be awesome, if he gets choosen to be a Black Lantern by mistake.

12. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was a good Issue.

Being A female with a Ring pretty much means you're gonna gie.

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    No way. It's gonna be Kyle that gets them. Ganthet still insists that he's special.

14. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That last issue was awesome. Great ending.

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has Ganthet really said anything about Kyle in a long time now? Ganthet hasn't appeared in GLC since Sinestro Corps War and his scattered appearances in GL haven't mentioned Kyle at all, that I can recall. Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to see Kyle play a very important role in the War of Light and Blackest Night, especially given the raw deal he got in SCW. However, Johns has been heavily insisting (through the other characters and the story) that Hal is the SuperSpecialAwesome one and I just expect Johns' preference to trump a few comments Ganthet made quite awhile ago.

16. General Magnus

I disagree. Plenty of female GLs have survived bad situations before. But when you look at the Lost Lanterns...

Kehann : K.I.A
    Laira: K.I.A
    Kreon: K.I.A
    Jack.T.Chance: K.I.A
    Boodika: (pretty much dead inside)

That leave us with 3 of them. Graf, Hannu (beat up by Laira btw) and the Bird dude.

17. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Just read issue 37...boy that was a good ending. I'm glad next month 2 issues of GL instead of 1.

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The last time he made such a comment was during the Sinestro Corps War. After Kyle lost Ion and got his ring back, Ganthet made a comment to him about having a special destiny.

Something else to think about. Sinestro set the whole war up to prepare the green lanterns for the blackest night. Besides Hal, Kyle was the only other lantern Sinestro paid any special attention to. Hell, Kyle had more of a focus during the war than Hal did. Hal pretty much just fought the whole time. Kyle got character development. I'd say Sinestro was personally preparing him for blackest night, seeing as how he's more than likely going to have to fight all of his loved ones who've died over the years.

An alternate idea is maybe Hal and Kyle will each get 3 of the rings.

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i love this book...i really want to sit down and reread all my GL and GLC again now, to prep for agent orange and blackest night...its gonna be so amazing...and i too think hal will end up with all 7 rings at some point...that's probably how the blackest night will end...but we'll see...or maybe it'll take more then one person with a combination of the rings to win...either way, i cant freaking wait...when're the next two GL issues scheduled?

and i've been wanting to get all the GL figures from DC direct, and these new ones just look even more amazing...too bad i don't have much money...

20. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Read it last night, and I have to totally agree with this. I was expecting Hal's new ring to be blue. This War of Light/Blackest Night seems to be one of the better build ups in a very long time. Awesome job so far DC!