Radio Shack Pen RC: Concept Camaro Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Soundblaster1, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    The 'Bee: Fairly standard Camaro Concept with the black racing stripes. There's a bump on the back for the signal reciever, but other than that, it's spot on.
    Transformation: Pretty much the same as a spychanger. Flip down the front, pull out the arms, extend legs.
    Bot: This dude is SHORT! About an inch and a half tall. From the looks of things, it has the Battle Mask instead of the typical alien-style head on the Deluxe version. Articulation is limited to the arms being able to move up and down.

The Pen: Looks like a laser gun. Bumblebee colors. Has the Autobot logo and Bumblebee printed on the handle, and TRANSFORMERS underneath the mount for the car. Button on the back releases the car from the mount.

The Gimmick: Point the pen at the Bee. Push either the < or > arrow. Watch car move. The front wheels aren't entirely stationary, so there is limited turning. Not sure if this is a design flaw or if it was meant to be that way. Top speed is about half as fast as walking speed*.

Other stuff: Also included is a little screwdriver to deal with the screws. While small enough to get the little screw on BB's battery cover, it is also large enough to get the screw on the pen's battery cover.

OVERALL: Pretty fun, worth the $15. Could have had more steering, but it's only a spychanger on steroids. Requires 2 AAA batteries (not included)...

NOTE: Make sure the batteries IN THE CAR work BEFORE you leave the store. Mine had dead batteries, but they were easily replaced with the button cells from an annoying Transformer (That's right! They're the same size!). I would have returned it, but it was the last 'Bee on the shelves.

*Walking speed varies from person to person, so this is only an estimate.

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

So can it go straight, or can it only move side to side?

3. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Only straight. I just tried it outside, and the FRONT/BACK is surprisingly good for the size... Unfortunately, I got attacked by bugs in the process. (at least 2 bites, not from mosquitos)

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Those IR cars work more or less the same as the old "cheap" RC cars. They only go forward and backward, but the front wheels cause the car to go (mostly) straight when moving forward, and turn when moving backward, to allow some level of directional control (move backward until the car is pointing the way you want, then go forward)

5. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Sorry for the bump, but it turns out the 'pen/controller' really has a pen with black ink... It figures dropping it will bring out one of the features...

6. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bumping an old thread, I know, but with (I feel) good reason.

I just got all 3 of the IR TFs -- braved Black Friday only to go to my local Radio Shack. They had them marked down to $9.99. (Also got their sweet deal of a 2GB SD card for $14.99.) They're all pretty cool, with surprisingly detailed paint apps and better functionality than I would've expected for the price and size.

On to the main reason for the bump: it was completely news to me that BB has the battle mask! Soundblaster1 mentions it in the first post, but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere else. That makes it the only transforming BB toy with the mask, and only the second BB toy overall. (The other is the wave 2 Robot Hero.) Just wanted to increase other folks' chance to find this out, in case they hadn't heard it before, either.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and I initially missed the fact that the controllers were pens, too. Only found out when I noticed "pen cap" in the list of included parts in the instructions.

EDIT 2: Here's as good a closeup as I could get of BB's head. (Well, with minimal effort, anyway. :) )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    how big is the head?

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Pen RCs are pretty much low-quality Spychangers, (which function) so about the same size as an average Spychanger head