Customs: Radicons...what was your FIRST custom?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by payton34, Aug 15, 2009.

1. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

This was my 1st custom, inspired by Ptitvite. I've done a few more since but just haven't had the time to take nice pics. Hopefully soon though.

Attached Files:

2. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    This is way my first one. Started 8/31/07 finished 9/6/07.
    [​IMG]

And here's my second one.
    [​IMG]

And here are both figures one year later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This August 31 will be two years of customizing for me.

3. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember more than 15 years ago, I made a pseudo combiner with off brand Micromaster type of robots and plumberĀ“s epoxy, lasted just a few hours but it was fun!

And also, one of my oldest bashes to have pics is my G2 Megatron
    [​IMG]

Articulated Megatron - Generation 2 Customs - TFW2005.COM

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    my first custom - 2005. Highly detailed LOC Sunstorm. I started on these because they were inexpensive, so if I "ruined" it, I'd not be out much money :lol 

[​IMG]

5. seali_me

seali_me Postprandial somnolence

yeah. i believe for some the biggest hurdle from collecting to customizing is that same leap you just made. i did the same but the leap wasn't that much either since my first custom was from a really beat up alt silverstreak.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    There's always that mental push and pull of "I want to make art!" and "these are my toys that paid money for and may not can afford another no matter what mold it is!" I've been at this for around 4 years now, and still find this push and pull sometimes. Obviously, it's quite a bit more diminished.

That being said, I'm finally doing what I want with my BT Bluestreak and BT Arcee :lol 

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Show off! :lol 

My first was a repaint of Armada Starscream into Sunstorm, Plowking has it now, he can take pics :lol 

8. 1-10

1-10 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

9. 1-10

1-10 Well-Known Member

iv reconsidered my first custom tf idea and I have already started on it:rolleyes: 

10. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

My first custom (if you could really call it that!) was painting the eyes of my '07 voyager Ironhide silver. Yeah, I didn't have the guts on my first go to do anything remotely interesting.

11. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A g1 Soundwave in cartoon colors. I did it back in 1997. Still have it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Why did you have to go and show this? Now I'll probably end up doing something similar just because it looks aweseome in 'toon colors (so much better than the original colors). Good thing I still have my old G1 Soundwave and won't take a chance on ruining my TRU exclusive. Very nice work, man.

13. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, I am surprise that one is in as good of shape as it is after 12 years

14. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Well, besides a few minor mods that I read about other people doing (like Alt. Prowl's leg swap), my first 'real' repaint was the custom trailer for Cybertron Armorhide. Some of you may remember Redline & Chaos Muffin's projects, where they took a Hot Wheels "Truckin' Transporters" trailer and modified it to look like it 'fit' Cybertron Armorhide. Redline approached Delta of Reprolabels, and he liked it so much that they offered it for free to those who wished to do the custom! Unfortunately, I was a bit too late for that, but I was able to *purchase* a set none-the-less!
    My first attempt was going swimmingly, until I applied the wrong clearcoat, and the paint cracked!
    [​IMG]
    -Then, I discovered the hard way that something called "ZipStrip" should *NEVER* be used on plastics...
    [​IMG]
    But after some perserverence, and finding another trailer at Target (or two, since by this time the TFTM black Target-Exclusive repaint had come out); I decided to take another crack at it... This time around, I also took a McD's Ani. Prime toy and chopped his arms off at the wrist to add to the trailer as a set of dollies to keep it from leaning when not connected.
    [​IMG]

My second successful repaint was my "Hilltopper" figure, based off the semi my grandfather used to drive when I was younger; the "Kitty Truck".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even without the Reprolabel 'whiskers', this figure was good enough to win me 3rd place in the 2008 Dairycon Art Contest! Even now, it's still not 100% completed, as I recently tracked down a G2 Optimus prime trailer that I'm trying to figure out how to make it scream "Hilltopper", as opposed to "OPTIMUS"! -literally, in this case... :D 

At this point I've got a lot of ideas for little customs, but nothing actively in the works. However, I'm thinking that an Animated Hilltopper might be next up; but I'm still holding out on hope that the Reprolabels/Sculptbot "Boombox" project isn't as dead as I fear it is, especially since it was 'announced' two years ago!

15. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

[​IMG][/IMG]

My first custom, a Classics Jazz.

16. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey...I am the one that bought that Jazz off Ebay. Very impressive.

17. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

A horrible, horrible kitbash of Energon Inferno into Ironhide.
    Don't wanna post pics, it was seriously horrible to the point where i don't even want to remember. :lol 

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

2 years ago, I attempted painting a Titanium G1 Ultra Magnus into Powered Convoy with a Myclone head. I was making some progress, but I ran into the problem of joint rub and ended up scrapping the project because I was so discouraged.

19. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I started with a tiered approach in mind...

First, paint/repaint something that doesn't transform.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/208161-revoltech-jetfire-robot-replica-prime.html - Jetfire was technically my first.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/208307-revoltech-skywarp.html

Second, try painting/repainting something that does transform.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/208879-g1-colored-animated-starscream.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/208792-classics-2-0-smokescreen.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/210543-classics-cliffjumper.html

Last, mod or scratch build something & paint it.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/211434-devastator-wip-first-bash-updated-1-18-a.html
    Still working on this and a Classics Jazz reshell. And an Alt Bumblebee has been on the shelf for a year or so.

20. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

Cool, wish I knew you where a board member here, would have hooked you up with a big discount. Your Soundwave is awesome. We could have traded. How's o'Jazz doing anyways?