Customs: *RADICONS PLEASE READ!* Hasbro issues statement, "Hasbro Provides Customizing Guidelines"

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=166658

I'm sure many of you have seen this thread/update from Spencer and Ages Three and Up. However, I'm not so sure as many have seen this statement:

http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsid=EF50BB4F-D56F-E112-48A85C51782405B1

Just to be clear, while this is statement is from the G.I. Joe portion of Hasbro's site, it should be noted that this is a general statement pertaining to all of their properties as well (because it is an issue of copyright infringement and permissions, not about only one of their products).

Radicons, please take the proper precautions when creating your customs and what you do with them after they are created. Transformers and all associated characters, etc. are the property of Hasbro and Hasbro reserves all rights entitled to them.

For those of you that may still be confused about this statement from Hasbro, there is already a discussion taking place at Hisstank.com. Feel free to discuss things here as well.

Radicons, customize!*

[*by following the guidelines given by Hasbro!]

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

So if I make a figure using an Autobot insignia its ok, but if I try to sell that figure, its not ok? Am I reading that the right way?

Is this going to affect reprolabels and sculptbot in any way? They are a huge asset to us.

3. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    From what I've read of the Hisstank forum, so long as you don't try to pass off customs as the real thing, there shouldn't be an issue. The big issue was folks making a custom and claiming it to be an official product. That then brings to question Hasbro's claim on the trademark, and the big H ends up with issues like having to call a certain red n yellow 'former "Rodimus" because "Hot Rod" is no longer available. >.>

Not sure on Reprolabels, but I don't think Hasbro will mind too much.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This would be correct.