Non-TF: Radicons Changes - Round 1 (12/2/2009)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tony_Bacala, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    OK, round 1 of changes have happened. Please read this before commenting on moving forward.

Changes done today:

Link to "Radicons" added back to the top of all pages on site.

Radicons Blog, Tutorials and How Tos, and Customizer of the Month sub-forums added underneath "Radicons Customs" forum. So all Customizing stuff is in one place.

Fan Art of the Month moved under Fan Art.

Rating system turned off in here removed.

Threads per page upped in the Radicons Area to 30 per page, instead of default 15.

Navigation strip added above thread listings allowing you to sort by Prefix, similar to how it was on the sidebar. All/Heavy/Minor/Sticker/NonTF are all there.

Other notes and decisions as of now:

Radicons "skin" will not be returning in the short/mid term, but we are open to bringing it or something like it back down the road if desired.

The sidebar will not be returning in the short/mid term, but we are open to bringing it or something like it back down the road if desired.

---- Related to the above - if you want more "quick links" added to the new "sorting strip" let us know, we can probably do that. Just be specific as to which ones.

Fan Art has generally be split off of "Radicons". Radicons will be purely Customizing, while Fan Art and anything else will fall under TFW2005's "Creative" area. There will be 2 different teams managing that moving forward, though staff members may work on both.

Radicons specific etiquette or Radicons specific rules have been suspended for now. Follow general TFW2005 rules as seen here: TFW2005 RULES. We may need to adjust and add a couple customs area specific rules in the future, but for right now it's back to normal default rules.

We can not change the system so that you can choose which thumbnail shows up in the thread listing. That was a feature of a system that Radicons used to run under. Now that it is part of the regular forums again, the only option for the thumbnail is to show the first uploaded. Can't be changed. If we figure a way to change that in the future, we will, but for now, not happening.

You no longer need to attach all images of your project to a thread. You must however attach at least 1. You may link to outside sites to see the rest of your images. This includes Photobucket type accounts, Sector70, Procustomizers, Seibertron, etc. Wherever you may have hosted them.

HOWEVER - If there is a feeling by staff members here that the intent of the thread is SOLELY to pimp external sites, then we reserve the right to ask you to add more pics here, or have the thread shut down. This will be done on a case by case basis, depending on the unique history of the member posting.

Bottom line, do not use this site to promote others without contributing to this site. Mutual benefit is the desired goal. Engage people here, get them looking, talking here, and you can pimp all you want (generally). But if you just swoop in, attach a small generic pic, and a link to somewhere else, and never respond or post here otherwise, then you are probably going to get pegged as pimping, so dont do it. That falls in line with the site-wide TFW2005 rules on linking to outside websites.

Questions for you guys about more changes:

Would you like to allow "Customizing General Discussion" type threads back into the Radicons / Customs thread listing, and add a "prefix" of "GD" to them. That way you can "View All Customs Threads" at once, aka - all projects AND custom based GD threads in one list. You could then sort to just "Heavy/Minor/Repro/NonTF/GD" if you wanted to as well. If we do this, it will remove the need for a seperate "Creative General Discussion" forum, and keep all Customizing talk in one place. (We would do the same in Fan Art, and get rid of that sub-forum completely).

Would you like seperate "Marketplace" forums, one for Customs, and one for Fan Art? Move them under each of those areas respectively, and only list people who do customs in the customs one, and art in the art one. Customs only Requests forum, etc. If you do both, you would list yourself twice, have feedback in 2 places, etc. Feedback would be for the type of project you did for someone. Do a customs, person leaves you feedback in customs marketplace. Do some art for someone, feedback is left for you in Fan Art Marketplace. OR WE CAN KEEP IT THE SAME AS IS NOW. Up to you.

Junk Pit - Do we need this, or would using Junkion suffice?

Wrap Up:

I think that addressed most issues brought up in the first thread. Maybe not 100% making everyone happy, but addressed things somewhat.

Feel free to continue to leave feedback, based on what I asked above or anything else that pops in your head "Radicons" related.

We are not done, we will continue to adjust based on what you guys say and what we think is appropriate in relation to long term TFW2005 objectives.

Later!

Attached Files:

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I think this could work, it'll be getting use to. But in the long run I can manage.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I like what you've done so far.

As for one of your questions, I think Radicons needs its own Junk Pit and it makes sense to keep around. It's much more specific. Kitbashers usually like to buy junkers or incomplete figures for cheap as opposed to mint/sealed ones.

4. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Understood. Question tho - could this be moved under Junkion, or does it need to be under "Radicons" or under "Creative".

Personally I think if it stays, it should go under Junkion as a sub-forum, but it all depends on how much people want to click around.

We could also put it under junkion, and quick link it from Radicons. So for casual TFWers, they'd see it in a place that makes sense, but hardcore Radicons can still get to it quick.

Just thinking out loud on that one.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I guess it could be placed under Junkion as a sub-forum, with the emphasis on junkers/parts at a low to fair price since they'll be used for customs projects. If people want Unicron/Primus parts for a custom combiner, I'm sure they'd rather get a loose/incomplete one with the parts of interest intact as opposed to shelling out $50+ for one that's boxed. It gets a little frustrating when you have a guy constantly peddling a sealed Unicron when you have no interest in paying that much for it.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Thank you for this. It means a lot to me.

7. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

To me personally I don't care where the "Radicons/Creative" Junk Pit goes, if I can find it then its no problem to me.

8. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

FIRST off,TY for making the layout more easier to move around :thumbs2:  second i think we should keep the "customizing General Discussion" in a separate part and not in the same prefix as customs... iunno it might just be me but i like being able to click a actual forum link than just fixing the prefix's around.. i kno its just the same but i actually FEEL like its of its own section that way o_O  weird i am i kno

9. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm liking the updates so far Tony. Thank you and your staff for all your hard work and listening to input from everyone.

10. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes...I like this idea a lot.

Yes we do. As Satomi said, bashers are more so looking for junkers and parts....not whole/complete/unharmed figures. The Pit helps us separate the "high dollar" stuff of the Junkion from the "bargain bin" stuff of the Pit

Love the first round of changes Tony B....keep up the good work.

11. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I have to say I appreciate the section regarding "mutual benefit". I started as a member here first (after lurking here and Transtopia for a couple of years) and while I'm an admin at Sector70, I always contribute as much as I can here because it's my home away from home, so to speak. I see us all as brothers working toward a common goal.....our love of Transformers and kitbashing. I think it's great to be able to share our work in more than one outlet, while still participating and contributing here.

As for the details, I really like that we have the option to choose whether or not to upload all images. Personally, I plan to continue to upload my attachments as I always have here. I agree that it helps preserve images for future views and reference, but I always thought it shouldn't be pushed on everyone.

Junk Pit - I'm all for having one for Radicons. As Satomiblood mentioned, there are a lot of us who buy/sell/trade bots and parts for customs work and it's pretty nice to go into it knowing you'll find mostly parts and bots, instead of AFA items, DVDs, or whatever. I like the idea of keeping the two marketplaces separate. When I'm looking for parts or asking for small items, I'd hit Junk Pit--if I need bots for collection purposes or other for sale items, I'd hit the regular marketplace here.

Feedback - I don't see the need for feedback to be listed in two different places (regardless of it being fan art stuff or buy/sell stuff). Most people already mention what it is they sold or bought from someone, so most of the feedback is already good under the individual feedback for each person now. Everyone could just state what the feedback is for.

As for the General Discussion in Radicons, I kinda like them being separate. Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I always hit the customs first, then check out GD and try to help or answer any questions I can. I think it's just easier to keep those sections/forums separate. But I'm game for whatever the overall choice may be.

And last, I'm glad the ratings system is gone, since it seemed to cause some issues here and there. I would have really liked to see it stay in place, but have the username of those who rate a custom shown. Not sure if that was do-able or not, but I will say that I've always loved the more personal comment & criticism approach instead of rating something crappy and running off. I always wanted to know WHY they rated something bad, since there has to be a reason of some sort. Overall, I like the first round of changes. All the content is basically still here, you just need to feel it out and learn where things are (which isn't too hard). Thanks for listening to us and hearing us out, gentlemen. Keep up the great work.

12. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Thank you, Tony and the rest of the staff, for listening to everyone's input and coming up with a great common ground so far. It's looking pretty good so far - and the removal of the attachment rule seems to have created an influx of new posts, which is great.

Looking forward to see what other changes are in store!

13. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree with everything said here.

14. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Ditto everything already mentioned, I share the same sentiments. Just one thing...it seems a lot of things are under Creative. But there's no tab for it? I don't mind going straight to Radicons, but backtracking to see other creative areas is a little weird? Perhaps a Creative tab with Radicons as one of the sub-forums? Oh, one more thing, I nearly missed the "type of custom" bar. It's thin and oddly placed. I don't use that very often, but I'm sure others do. But so far it's great and it'll take a little getting used to. Thank you tfw2005 staff for all the goodness provided to all the fans!

15. primeone

primeone PRIME

News Credits:
    awesome changes and yes the junk pit would be good as a part of junkion with a quick link from the radicons good job guys

16. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Gotta say I like the changes so far. Like the Radicons button being at the top of the main tfw page again. I think there should be a minimum number of attachments that's higher than 1, like say 4 or 5. I don't care how many people say "my site will be hosting my pics forever so I don't have to attach my pics" there's bound to be a few sites that go down over the years due to any number of reasons. I'm not saying it's a must but it's just the fact that I like being able to find customs from years past for ideas and inspiration for my work.

I am definitely behind the junk pit for customizers idea. I think the idea you had about having a quick link in Radicons but the actual sub-forun being in Junkion, is a great one

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I dig this.

Further question tho:
    If I have a WIP, do I need to start new threads for every update of my WIP, or can I simply resurrect the existing WIP and continue it?

18. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Either, I would say. The only good thing about a new thread for a continued WIP is so that others can see the new progress easily. If you add onto your existing thread, those that saw the original WIP before may think they've already seen it and not click into it again. That can be fixed by asking for a thread title change in the "TFW2005 Tech Support" forum. Personally, I usually just update my original thread and ask for the title change to include the new date for my updates.

19. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    This.

20. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Won't it be bothersome if everyday you have 3-5 customisers asking for their WIP thread titles updated?