Non-TF: Radicons Changes - All Who Care Read!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tony_Bacala, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptimusPrimal13

OptimusPrimal13 Dutch Radicon

My suggestion is in first: Bring it back the way it was. In second: Ask everyone what we do like and what we don't like. Then put in the changes.

Personal I like the prefix catagories. If you want to see only Heavy/Scratch themed customs you only see that kind of customs. I also like the button on top of the site. It links you directly to the Radiconsection. From there on there should be (starter)menu with choices like the prefixes, tutorials, cotm, rotm etc......

2. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I have to say when the change first happened 2 years ago I was like, "what is this?" But I've grown to really like the changes.

- I love that people have to upload photos to the site even though it can be a pain. I still can't get files directly from my computer to upload so I always have to put them on photobucket then upload, which is just more time and it just makes me hold off on posting. I have like 5 classic repaints I haven't posted yet

- I really like the sections being listed on the sides so I can access everything I want in separate sections. I think too many threads can get lost (and by lost I mean to the casual reader they don't search past a page or 2). I mean just in the minor mods section there are like 10 to 30 active posts in one day but the reproduction threads aren't as active but still nice to be able to find if I wanna go check out what Delts Star from reprolabels is up to or what sweet new boxes PrimulArchangel has come up with

3. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Guys, I want to clarify something, in the short term, as we work things out.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/279345-how-sort-prefix-current-layout.html

You can still sort the custom listings to only show Heavy/Minor/Repro/Non-TF

Now, you must use the sort area at the bottom of all pages. Before, I had them hand coded onto the top of the sidebar. That is the only difference. This is the "default way" for all Vbulletin forums.

These threads were never in different forums, and we did not merge them into some new mega forum. The only difference is that we removed the sidebar, and apparently the easy to find way to sort them.

We are reading and listening, and will be implementing your feedback on what to bring back and what to remove, and what to do in new/different ways to make this area better.

This current setup and layout is indeed, temporary.

We expect the first major round of changes to the current layout/skin to be some time after Thanksgiving weekend.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    New layouts can be adjusted to. However I do think that a ratings system is a bad, bad idea. It can really put off people from wanting to display their work, especially those just starting out.
    I agree with Frenzy_Rumble - if ratings are to be implemented they should NOT be anonymous. Remember the rep fiasco the other year? Or "poster has beef with other poster and deliberately goes round working on fucking up their rep" as it should be known. All care should be taken to avoid this happening again with ratings.

5. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I did not specifically add ratings in anywhere when this was reverted back to the default skin.

So, just to clarify, is this something that existed before, but we now want removed, or was it just not coded into the other skin, and it just showed back up here, therefore being taken as "new"?

6. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I think it's the former. From what I can tell, everyone wants the ratings systems gone.

7. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    The rating system has always been in place in the Radicons.
    I would have to agree, if it can be removed. I say ditch that bitch.

8. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

is there a easier way to get to the customs section with out having to scroll down the right side? if not then i think a icon for "RADICONS" is desperately needed back again =D

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, while I had previously stated in the "In the Life of a Radicon" blog thread, my activity for the next short time is quite a bit more limited for the next short while due to my current move (I'm still in the middle of just packing my Transformers collection). This has much to do with my current [lack of] activity, but with this thread specifically I want to give you guys as much of a chance to sound off without inserting a bias. If anyone knows me well, I like hearing the opinions of others first. I watch movies knowing as little as I can going in then I want to talk about it! I want to treat you guys the way I'd want to be treated.

I did want to chime in on just a few items, though:

I think plowking has really hit the nail on the head overall here. Radicons wants to be a full site, but always has to function as some sort of "sub-forum"; as a sub-forum, Radicons is simply too much to shoehorn into that. Since Radicons really took the place of Transtopia after that site folded, this has been the case. The Radicons Staff worked towards that goal.

This certainly takes the necessary staff, but also needs each and every Radicon to make this possible.

TC, I'm certainly not wishing to be argumentative or disrespectful (to anyone), but TFW2005.com and Radicons have both been around a long time and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Attaching images simply ensures the lack of "dead threads" - threads devoid of content. Simply moving an image breaks its direct link. Too many threads that are more than 6 months old have this problem:

. . . AM's right here. As I said, simply breaking an image link causes this; a member's death isn't necessary for this to happen. If one chooses not to post here, that's a choice. If someone has posted, and the thread becomes relevant later, the content is preferred to be there. The Radicons Staff continually tried to communicate this to members :) 

I'm all for cutting down on the workload for the galleries. As long as outcome isn't sacrificed for effort, I'm for it. However, there are other issues than just the uploading of the galleries, as you've pointed out. Site security and gallery moderation are a few of those issues.

It's been around. It only became an issue with persons were deliberately malicious with it. The anonymity continued to perpetuate this.

Thanks for all you guys are chiming in with; it's very much appreciated :thumb 

10. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your still implying that I wont be around as long and that's far from the truth(argumentative, disrespectful or not). Anyways I digress, let me know when its not a requirement and my threads wont be deleted cause of it like i have seen so many others. I look through some of the customs now and see that some only have one attached and the rest linked out. Does this mean it's ok to do so now without repercussions? Would love to post some stuff. ^_~

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I don't think he's implying that you "won't be around as long"... only that when individual artists shuffle their archives or whatever, all the links end up broken. I don't think it's a slam against your longevity as a kitbasher. :) 

Just for example, I was over at Sector70 last night, and the number of broken image links was unreal, often for work that is not even that old (stuff that I remember seeing here not long ago at all). So I think that particular concern is quite legitimate.

zmog

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    :thumb 

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Since it was mentioned, I thought that a thread helping everyone was in order: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/creat...9534-useful-tool-faststone-photo-resizer.html

14. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

15. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS He's BACK! Veteran

@ sq7 , about the user uploaded galleries. I agree that. security with a larger site is an issue. if something like this were to be instituted a registration(possibly a pay to play contract) and a zero tolerance policy would needed. we don't need another livedoor peepshow, ugh. but yeah I justfind it redundant to post in a thread AND a gallery, especially when you can just embed a few pics and linn to the gallery. I thin other sites have a "soft upload" where a member uploads the pics to a gallery, and a moderator simply has to approve it before it goes live.

16. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bottom line for me is that no one, absolutely no one, should be forced to upload their images to a site they do not want to. If you want to force this then that's what the darn main customs galleries that have to be emailed in are for. Me personally though do not want my galleries archived a second time and I should have to if I don't want to right? Or are you telling me otherwise?

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hey guys, this is just me popping in for a minute. Again, I still want to refrain from my biases and let you all just talk things out :)  Just a few notes here:

YES! I just like FastStone a little better, but I've used both. If you're at least using one or the other, you're gonna love it! :) 

I agree. Essentially, the goal is to have threads always keep their content, and have the gallery system user friendly to both members and staff. There are always pros and cons.

SQ7 is essentially saying that threads with dead content are pretty useless. That's certainly not a member's intent, I believe, but it's happened far too much. Image attachment, to date, is the best way to ensure that.

Our gallery system is what it is right now, and works well when members submit them well. That's the reason for the gallery submissions guidelines. Artists like yourself have galleries that are GREAT to upload because of your prep work on your end. Proper submissions, staffing, and such for the management of the galleries will yield what our gallery is today - robust, and well done. :) 

On another end, attachments and gallery submissions eliminate things such as images that are so huge that take forever to load, and the dependency on outside links (which easily results in a thread with missing content).

I hope that answers some things for you guys :) 

18. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

Dammit!!!! I don't like this, but I'm going to do it again. Please change it back to the way it was! Holy crap, humility is not easy to come by. :lol 

19. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

one thing that really bugs me is that with all the different categories of threads melted into one, threads get pushed out from the first page really fast... people who come once a day may not see what,s been done... i,ve posted work yesterday and it,s already at the end of page 3.... sub categories are a must in my opinion ...which is also good for order and structure...

20. Slag66

Slag66 CAMEO

The old way was fine. I understand others wanting images to be larger, but I think just do the attachments and provide a link to larger photos on the hosting site of the posters choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.