Non-TF: Radicons Changes - All Who Care Read!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tony_Bacala, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Oh, and one more thing. I miss the ability to edit the thread title myself. I think most people liked updating their title to indicate when they've made an update in their WIP thread or whatnot. Most people use the first post in the thread as the 'blog' to document their progress. Without getting a mod to update the thread title, most people might not notice that it has been updated recently.

2. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Sounding off many people here in agreement. I really like the previous version, it was easy to navigate and understand. The little things makes it easier, like the image preview, bold leterring, symbols that tell you if you've posted before or not. If anything was to be changed from the old one, the rating system, which is irrelevant. If you got something to say, post it! That's why comments and criticizing is encouraged, instead of anonymous cowardly bashing. Thread title change would be key too as some WIPs become completed.

Ummm, how do you get to Radicons from the front page?!? I miss the top tabs. So lost...

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey there, looking forward to some improvements.

1. Remove the rating system, it's pointless, and mostly used negatively. Maybe just a like or dislike? I suppose that's the same thing...nevermind.
    2. Ability to update thread titles.
    3. A Subforum for WIPs and Finished (complete, well presented, decent or better photographed) work and let mods move stuff as appropriate. I think there are so many WIP threads that finding the quality, completed work is difficult, and I find myself moving on. The Finished section could serve as the Radicon gallery essentially.
    4. Keep the attachment system! It works great if people just give it a shot. Remote hosting is horrible.

Anyway, thanks for all you do.

4. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS I identify as an amalgamated Firetruck/Semi Veteran

News Credits:
    to anyone that disagrees with the attachment process, just look at the last 50 pages of threads in the custom section. none of them have pic because the photobucket etc, accounts have been change or deleted or even cancelled. leaving an empty thread with responses to a custom you can't even see. i personally thin. these "dead threads" should be deleted. that would streamli e it a lot.

5. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

I agree with this thanks for writing that out like that.

6. JAF

JAF 1984

Image previews are one of the greatest features on the site, glad they are still intact. The sub forums are cool too. I'd personally like to see those resurrected. One single section for all of the different flavors of customizing is confusing and data overload.

It would be nice to have the option of adding a link to an image directly in the post without having to upload. I also prefer the radicons.com url pointing to the forum directly.

7. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

Ok i am going to say something that some people may want to flame me for but, its just the truth from my perspective. I post less on here now because of the image attachment . I do all kinds of nontransformer stuff that i do not care to post here because of it.
    It is nothing against the rules i like the staff here and dont expect it to change because i dont like it. That's just how it is for me. If what i post is going to only appeal to 1 or 2 people on here i just rather make a video and post it on youtube its easier than the attachment thing.

I know all about the dead threads it has frustrated me as well. Nevertheless i still feel the same way

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Am I missing something? Everything looks the same to me...! :) 

- I never go to the front page. NEVER. My bookmark takes me directly to the new bashes forum. Maybe that's why I didn't really notice much difference, but that also says something about how important the front page is (not very). I understand why a front page might be useful for first-time visitors, but for regular users, it's pretty redundant.

- As everybody has pointed out, thumbnails are a must. It provides a quick visual cue to remind you whether you've been in that thread already and helps you spot them on the page faster.

- I'm indifferent to whether we have a different skin or not... just so long as it's a nice, simple, non-distracting layout. The worst websites in the world are the ones that try to hard to be "different" or "creative" and in doing so become awkward for users. Web design can be so pretentious for something that should be inherently pragmatic. Oops... stepped on a soapbox there. :) 

- I'll never understand why some folks kick up such a damn fuss about attaching images to their threads. Personally, I find it EASIER than linking to an external source. Plus, the basic goal is worthwhile. That way the images STAY, even if you later rearrange your Photobucket galleries or whatever. No more broken links! Brilliant! Easy! Simple! Can anyone supply me with a legitimate reason for not attaching images? I mean, seriously?

On the other hand, I've never made a gallery submission before. I'm uncertain what the requirements are on that side.

- Sub-forums/categories... I don't really care, though honestly MOST stuff can probably all go in one place. The more you break the forum up, the more likely people will only frequent one sub-forum, and totally miss stuff going on in the other forums.

That's my reaction. :) 

zmog

9. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks, I was hoping it came across as clear as it seemed in my mind.

I've never understood it myself. I find it so much easier to do it this way.
    Most people in the Radicons do attach all their pics, but for those that choose not to do it, so be it.

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    It would be nice if image attachment was optional, not required. To be honest, I simply do not want to upload every image of a custom I've built to TFW's servers. I feel more comfortable having them hosted through my own servers. This is one of the things that has kept me from returning to Radicons and participating regularly in recent years.

11. autobotchico

autobotchico Well-Known Member

keep the image preview post.. I am visual person

12. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just posted my first custom last night. And honestly, the way it was last night is the way I prefered it.

Preview images are a must, but it seems those are back.

I do like that Creative Marketplace and Creative General Discussion are their own sub-sections now.

The BIGGEST thing I'm having a problem with is the removal of the boxes with links to everything in Radicons on the right of every page. I always used that when I wanted to find something related to Customs. I almost never used the forum because I found the boxes easier. If I wanted to view Minor/Repaints then I clicked the Minor/Repaints button.

13. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    I vote that the old one was better because:

And that would be the part I dislike.

14. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Well, after having a look around, I have to say that I liked the old version better. More specificly, the side bar should deffinately come back, IMO. That's my only major gripe now that the preview pics are back, but in general, I thought the old way was just much easier to find your way around. Plus, I'm not really liking the whole "creative" thing, or the missing radicons blog (maybe I just missed it, I'll look again so as not to appear like a total jackass)

15. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I like the way it is now, especially without the sidebar.

Really though, Radicons is so big and has such a subculture here it warrants it's own website IMO. The streamline look used now makes it at least feel like it's part of TFW again and easier for casual lurkers like myself to poke around. The previous format however, which required more drill-down just to browse, along with the different layout made it feel like it should be it's own website.

Essentially I'd say - current format = good; alternative layout = new website.

:2c: 

16. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Really, really, really missing the side bars with the "minor/repaint", "heavy/scratch" and all that other stuff.

I think this current way is an example of over streamlining.

17. mstyger87

mstyger87 mastercon

i find it hard now just to find the radicons, because its not on the main headline bar anymore i spent a good half an hour just trying to find it, not a fun experience

18. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

First off, I'm glad to know that we at taking time to revamp the site, because everything needs a little change now and then. Also, when I tried to go to Radicons right after it changed (yeah, I don't sleep) I got really scared when the site wouldn't let me and i thought I got banned for a minute. I'm really, really glad that's not the case.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with what everyone else has expressed. I really liked how Radicons was set up up until late last night. I liked being able to see some preview pics a lot, because, let's face it, I don't always want to see yet another Leader Prime repaint every time I check the customs and the preview images helped that. I do think the rating system needs to go. It does seem to be just a way for people on this site to put down other people's work for no reason. Plus I always forget to rate something I like and I never want to rate something that may look kinda bad, bad because everyone's project is important to them and I don't want to be the jerk who tells the complete truth and says it looks like crap. That's just not nice, and it usually doesn't look that bad, just a little sloppy. (sorry to be so blunt, I'm not intending to be mean to anybody's work or anything I'm just trying to tell it like it is.) I really like how the Radicons section is different and especially like the little right side navigation section- which makes it really easy to go through the different sections and sub-sections on the site so you don't have to go to the main page to go to another section. (I totally did this went I first joined and didn't realize the side stuff was there and it SUCKED!) I really miss the Radicons section not being on the top of the page too. It's too much work to look for it now. I do kinda hate the Radicons main page and i tend to just go straight from it to Heavy/Scratch or repaints but it's not that bad. One thing that really bothers me about the site is how when people upload pictures form Photobucket a few months later you can't view any of the images cause can't be found or whatever. I don't know if that is fixable or maybe that is why we require attached images or whatever but it's really annoying. I don't use Photobucket or any other online picture storage site cause I have a pretty big hard drive and don't take that many pictures so I don't know how that site works but, maybe there needs to be a no photobucket rule or something. Anyway, that's all I have to say other than bring back the old site again. If someone wants to explain the photobucket issue that'd be cool, I don't hate the site or anything I just find that one thing annoying as hell.

19. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Guys, Keep in mind. This is the way the Radicons "use to be" before we became a "sub-site" of TFW.
    I'm sure the reasoning behind this is to simply revert the Radicons back to a state that is easier to "rebuild" upon.
    Once all the discussion has been look at & weighed out by Tony_B & the staff of TFW.
    I'm sure things will go back to a state that we are more use too.
    Don't look at this as "the way it will be", look at it as a step in the right direction to make it better then before.
    You can't build a good foundation, with the old building still standing.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  20. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    the only thing I'd like changed is a way to change what image shows up in the image preview without having to change all of your attachments

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.