Race Driver: Grid Demo on Live and PSN today

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, May 8, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Played the demo for a few minutes, I've been big on this game mostly because of how amazing it looks. ...but uh, the cars handle like shit. I wasn't able to take a single turn without plowing into the wall and taking a ton of damage to my vehicle.

...and I'm not a racing game slouch, either. I've put my fair share of time into PGR4 and Forza 2. They got the look of the game nailed, but the actual driving needs some work. Hopefully the final game is much improved.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll have to try it in a few. Downloading it now. Play mechanics can kill a great-looking game.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I downloaded it and it's pretty fun. I just love seeing how much punishment I can put my car through before it dies. I think the game plays pretty well too. I like the San Francisco stage.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I downloaded this over a week ago, and yes, it is very pretty.

The problem is (as with most Codemaster racing titles) is when you're not actively in a powerslide it feels like you're on rails... not natural like PGR4.

But PGR4 has no car damage, so online races tend to be very unfair. Once this comes down in price a little I'm gonna buy it.

I did turn off all the drive assists (Traction, Stability, and all that) and it felt a lot more natural. But undrivable almost. Still. Its practive innit?

7. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    It's still more like PGR4 than GT4 in that it's very arcade-y. This game is best in everything but in # of cars and the lack of realism in driving physics. It's still very fun and replayable. The replay system is the best I've seen. (except for the lack of saving feature) The graphics are breathtaking. The menu is very very slick and sleek. And I can't forget the audio name function. "Hello Stud. Welcome to the GRID demo."

It's too bad that it doesn't feel anything like how I remember other Codemaster franchises: Colin McRae and TOCA Series. But then again that was a long time ago. It's not a bad game by any measure, but it's no racing simulator. Hopefully, Codemasters finds a better balance in future games.

*Oh. Another blemish in otherwise a fun game. They took wayyyy too much liberty while creating the Long Beach track. Lots of landmarks are recognizable, just misplaced horribly. I was really hoping for the Grand Prix course... :( 

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    The control in this game is terrible. All the pretty graphics in the world don't make up for a game that is no fun to play at all.

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After the inital learning curve it was ok. I just can not get into games with drift racing I hate that. I get that it works in Mario Kart and it's the new thing but damn it's in EVERY GAME NOW!

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Multiplayer with about 9 cars and causing half of them to total their car is the best. A pure laugh riot.