R.I.P. TV Land....

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it is official. TV Land has become AARP TV.
    I only watch that network for a few shows- All in the family, cheers, wings, good times....

but i can't do it much longer. Every commercial break has that one with the family at some dude's wake talking about funeral bills....
    or AARP ads, or the constant string of new shows that remind me and you, too that your ass is fatally old.

the big 4-0?
    high school reunion?
    life after death? (made that one up.)

all the ads are for old people stuff.

why can't i have subtle nostalgia? let me watch forty year old sitcoms and forget the modern world without every 6 minutes being reminded of my mortality and selfish 'tude towards providing for loved ones after i eat a shotgun (that should happen in 2112, when the stock market can't fall any more, lol) or die from eating too many ding-dongs as a kid.

i can't believe i have sunk to watching BET now for my classic sitcom fix- Diff'rent Strokes is on each morning now...

2. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Does TV Land have life insurance?

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Those are the people willing to give them money to show there adds because that’s the stations demographic. Sadly the cool kids are all watching Hanna Montana and Drake & Josh instead of Designing Women and Bonanza.

4. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

This sounds more like Nick At Nite than TV Land. TV Land generally still shows Andy Griffith and M*A*S*H on weeknights and Bonanza or Gunsmoke on the weekends.

Now THIS sounds like TV Land, unfortunately.

The one thing I REALLY hate about TV Land is that when they do spice up the mix of programming with something that you rarely see re-broadcast anymore - like, say, the old '60s Batman TV show or SCTV - they only give the full run ONCE and that's it. Ticks me off. Heck, I miss when they used to show the Krofft shows on Saturday morning.

Plus, I don't mind them showing movies now and then, but it'd be nice if they broadened the palette a little bit. Movies that became TV shows, for example, would be a pretty good start - Planet Of The Apes, Altman's M*A*S*H - and reduce the movies based on TV shows to the better or more tolerable ones - Treks II-IV and VI-VIII, The Fugitive, the first two Addams Family movies.

5. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    amen, bruddah!
    Three men and a Baby?
    Breakfast Club?
    Top Gun?

At least, why couldn't they show a movie and then run a mini-marathon of tv shows that were a by product?
    like Fast Times At Ridgemont High or Valley Girl lead to "Square Pegs"...or Top Gun lead to that crappy "SuperCarrier". Platoon gave us "Tour of Duty".
    Hell, show Blue Thunder and then the TV series.
    At least they are kinda doing it this week with The Addams Family movie and the show.

just don't dig a movie from the 3.99 bargain syndication bin and show it...

I just remember when TV Land started and it had the greatest notion/theme behind it. It was kinda like a town in America and the shows were like the citizens. Sanford was in a neighborhood near the Dick Van Dyke show and they used to run old commercials for Alka Seltzer and Charmin... Dick Van Dyke was mayor.
    it had quirky, nostalgic feel.

and yeah, hated the way they ran shows sometimes. Night Court comes on at 6 am now...

the shows i mention are TV Land shows- they come on in a block early in the mornings- Night Court, Wings, Cheers, Sanford and Son, then All in the Family....

i guess all cable networks eventually fall to the MTV curse....which is, stop doing what you did best.

6. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Actually it seems more like the Just Shoot Me channel cause that's what I always see every time I flip past TVLand.

7. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Try watching Comedy Central after 11 PM, every commercial is Girls Gone Wild.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

and a few other channels are that way too...

got woke up a few time from the g/f saying "WTF are you watching" before she started to notice that after 11pm, that's all they show.

9. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    used to hate sally struthers begging for money to feed starving kids, then hated dionne warwick and Ms Cleo psychic commericials, then girls gone wild...be careful what you offer to get rid of that commerical....at least it had cute girls.

and i guess a lot of channels milk their one decent show till the teat falls off. Bravo-Top Chef or Project Runway. G4 is Xplay or Cheaters
    Discovery=Mythbusters.
    next thing you know, MTV will run Real World or The Hills marathons or Playboy TV will show naked chicks a lot.

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Kind of the way History channel plays 32 hours of Modern Marvels, everyday?

11. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well played, Greyryder...

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Dude, TIVO and Fast Forward. Problem solved.

13. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    ZOMBIE THREAD

But Buzzbeak is right, Disney's HM is getting the most girl viewers, and Nick is getting male viewers. And TV land is getting my mom. :lol 

But I think that TV land used to be good nostalgia, but now it's for people who are old and hate it (the oldness, not TV land) for example, TV Land Prime's Myths and Legends?? Guess what the background is after the commercial while the magic voice tells us when to watch? It's Ozzy Osborne (or however the heck you spell it) eating a bat. WTG?

There's a Playboy TV? :banghead: 

14. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Sounds kinky...

15. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Or History International with their WWII and Egypt crap.

16. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

TV Land has sucked ever since they ditched Hunter and The A-Team.

17. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm not bothered by this news at all. I never cared for TVland and I never will.

Seriously, with all of the recent zombie threads, the staff of this site should consider making an official rule about necromancing threads.:redface2: 

18. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it wasn't a zombie when i created it, but i guess some people won't leave a thread to die.

since tv land has started airing Scrubs and CSI, it is moving away from being TV Land to a station grasping at any viewer it can get.
    And when there's shows they never mined, this is sad.
    Instead of 10 years of Bonanza, why haven't they run:
    Mission Impossible
    Man from Uncle
    Perry Mason
    Baretta
    Dark Shadows
    Fall Guy
    Six Dollar Man
    Bionic Tennis Player (oh you know that show, lol)
    old as Wild Kingdom
    Flipper
    Star Trek Animated
    That's Incredibile!
    Real People
    Fernwood 2night

there's tons of old nostalgic shows left before they could have touched the more current stuff like Full House, Family Matters, Designing Women or Mad About You.

And to quote Lovecraft about zombie threads-

19. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    agreed

20. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Have you seen TV Land's commercial for their movie night? It's a very strange little bit heavy with sexual innuendo, starting with a pair of melons and ending with a strategically erected remote. I don't think the folks who are AARP's market appreciate this in the least.

TV Land's commercial.