R.I.P Shonen Jump-Online only!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Gaastra, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    So this mean I won't get my playable Slifer the Sky Dragon?

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    As the manga market in the US has taken a nosedive, its understandable, yet sad, that a periodical like Jump would not survive.

I hope it does better in online only, but it's up against a lot of the same problems.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well a lot of companies were over charging, plus it's more or less available on a dozen websites. Anime also doesn't have the quality dubs it used to have in the early years. Plus most people won't pay $30 bucks for 3 to 4 episodes like they did in the 90's. I remember the Tenchi Dvd set of the OVA's with 12 episodes went for $120 -160 back in the day. These days people wouldn't pay that much. At the time it was new and interesting, but after awhile, wasn't as interesting and at the cost they were charging the market wouldn't hold up. They got a reprieve, when Cartoon network and Sci-Fi were airing the shows regularly, but as that has petered out so has many people's interest in shows. It helps if you watch a show before you buy it.

5. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

If SJ can't survive in the US market, no manga publisher can. They always had popular comics like Yu-Gi-Oh, DBZ, and Bleach. I don't think there are a lot of titles you can add into SJ to make it more popular.

6. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, that is pretty shocking. Does just go to show you how bad the manga market has fallen in the US - if Shonen Jump can't keep it up, you'd wonder what the future holds. That said, mind you, I never did think it was THAT wise putting out chapters of what's weekly in Japan on a monthly basis in the US - because let's be honest, that fast-paced weekly schedule means a lot of chapters can go by in a manga without much cumulatively HAPPENING. I know as a retailer that a lot of my customers didn't care at all to read Shonen Jump, becuase they thought of tankobons as the "true" form of the manga, not realizing they were graphic novels, and viewed reading one or two chapters in SJ as only reading "a bit of a manga". That this new digital format will actually be weekly seems like a good, sensible move to get the material out there sooner, at an increased rate of regularity, and combat scanlations.

(And boy, I understand the need for spin, but they're REALLY trying to paint the shift to digital only as if it's somehow a good thing, aren't they?)

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I'm sure it'll come out sooner or later, so I wouldn't worry. If anything, the main sorrow I had when reading about this involved how much of a role Shonen Jump has played in not only introducing new mangas & anime to people, but also introducing the medium in general.

Now, this isn't to say that lines like Yugioh wouldn't have done well without it, but what about Shaman King & One Piece, and what about the growth that's taken place over the last 7 or so years?

8. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Sad to hear that they're finally biting the dust in terms of printed material. Guess I'll try to nab the last few issues before they go Alpha.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Short answer, they likely won't. But I meant that Jump, a rather expensive digest-based periodical, is unlikely to sell as well as volumes of individual series, if only because there's a lot more in it people aren't as keen on reading, and they have to be purchased more often to follow a certain story

The big issue is that the market is a demographic with less disposable income who are perfectly aware they can just download scans online. And they have been, and that's been the single biggest problem, I think.

10. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I haven't played Yugioh for years, because I moved on to a new card game. But since that card game has been discontinued, I might move back to yugioh. I've already have Obelisk and Ra, I'll only go back if there is a Slifer I can put in my deck.

11. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Forget Slifer & just rock the Obelisk?

Also since I'm curious, what cardgame got discontinued?

12. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Chaotic, Well that what I asume.

Also, because Slifer was my favorite God card.

13. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i'm sad to see this happen, but it didn't help the manga that was in them were stories i didn't give a shit about

so sick of naruto and all that

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I think that game died as well, but I'm pretty sure that a little time on google can tell you for sure. Also, so what if the game isn't being continued? I'm sure it still has a following, and if enough of those people are in your area, you can still play. Heck, it might even have been adopted by a fan group (much like what TopTierGaming did for Score's dbz game), so giving up hope is far from your only option.

Also about Yugioh, you could always get the "collectible" Slifer card for your collection. It looks more like the one in the tv show anyway, and when Slifer does come out (the game card), it might end up sucking ass like Ra, in which case you'll just want it for collection purposes anyway.

15. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Yeah but the bottom corner does say not to be used in a duel.

16. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, you could always put it into a toploader & hang it around your neck while you duel!

17. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, Chaotic went belly up (at least that's what the $0.99 clearanced booster packs I see at Meijer tell me). Shame too, as I was starting to get into the game (pulled an Aa'une and everything!). Just goes to show you that you really need that certain 'something' to survive in the collectible game market these days (I doubt Redakai will last either). As for the "following" thing, I have no doubt that it does. I seem to recall hearing that there are still leagues for Duel Masters that even incorporate the Japanese cards that weren't released here.

Anyway, so as to not stray further off topic than I already have, it's a shame that Jump is going. I'll admit that I haven't read it all that much in recent years, but I really loved it back in the day.

18. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hah yeah, I still remember running to grab the latest one every month, especially when it had a card that I wanted. :) 

19. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

With it going digital only I won't be supporting Jump again any time soon it seems. I might buy some manga here and there that I need to finish from the JUMP stuff that I like.

20. BepoTheBear

BepoTheBear New Member

they arent getting my money anymore. if people were goin to read manga online, they'll just do it on the numerous websites. they're no going to pay for that crap. im so angry I could.... i dont know.... kill a carrot?