R.I.P. Electronic Gaming Monthly

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by seven, Jan 6, 2009.

1. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

R.I.P. Electronic Gaming Monthly/1up.com

UGO bought 1up, this issue will be the last EGM.

UGO Entertainment Acquires 1UP: News from 1UP.com
    Journalism: 1UP Sold To Hearst Corporation, EGM To Close

Sad to see it go, I started reading with issue 48 and haven't missed a copy since. I haven't been to fond of Mielke's restylings and the new "kids" hadn't grown on me yet, but it was still EGM. Hopefully 1up stays intact and keeps providing the digital content I've come love.

While I do know print is basically dead, I still love reading magazines.

2. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Wow, I didn't know this at all. RIP EGM.

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not surprised. Print is a virtual dead media; it was only a matter of time.

I'll still miss it.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still have issue one somewhere in a box at my parent's house. It was my favorite gaming magazine. I really saw the sign of times when they started covering PC games, and in the last issue justifying it. It's not the same team I grew up with.

I don't have a problem with PC games, but they used to pride themselves on being a console-only magazine, and in the last issue they were crapping all over them in a story about how consoles are only alive because of PCs

5. seven

RIP 1up.com as well.

At present, the following 1UP staff have indicated -- either in tweets, forum posts, or directly to us -- that they have been let go: Andrew "Skip" Pfister, Matt Chandronait, Ryan O'Donnell, Jay Fresh, Cesar Quintero, Philip Kollar, Nick Suttner, Anthony Gallegos, Shane Bettenhausen, James "Milkman" Mielke."

6. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    This sucks. I love EGM, and I really hate UGO.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    EGM was decent but never hooked me like Game informer did, still its a shame to see it fold.

8. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Damn. Well, barely anyone reads magazines anymore, and what with the economy lately, this, IMO, was bound to happen.

9. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Crap...I had been wondering where my podcasts had been this week...RIP 1up.

10. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

^that

What a bummer. I will certainly miss my monthly EGM. :( 

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

This whole thing is horrible. First, EGM. I started reading EGM when I was 12, in 1989. My first issue was #3. I bought it on newstands for 2 years and then started subscribing in 1991. Except for a 1 year break in the mid 90's when other interests took hold and I let my subscription lapse, I've subscribed to it for 17 years now and read all of them cover to cover. I felt like the editorial content grew up with me and vice versa...from more juvenile writing in the early days, to the young fresh faces that came on board in the late 90's (some of which were still there up until today) and brought new voices and interesting content, to the more cynical middle-aged tone it had in recent years. And always, it had integrity that other magazines and websites lacked.

Having said that, the passing of EGM is sad more in a metaphorical sense because of the end of an era in my life it represents. While I still read EGM, I no longer did so the day it arrived and was more casual with it.

It had been replaced in my heart by 1up. The daily content on 1up, combined with the site's epic weekly podcasts was great (1up Yours alone almost always clocked in at over 2 hours each week, and sometimes stretched to 3, to say nothing of 1up Show, 1up FM, Retronauts, or any of the other podcasts). I really felt like I got to know Garnett, Shane, John, Ryan, and the rest of them in a way that I haven't felt connected to gaming journalists before. So for me the massive layoffs at 1up today are even more crushing than EGM ending. Garnett has already declared on twitter that 1up Yours is finished, and the entire staff of the 1up Show was laid off, so that's done also. So bummed for all those people at 1up and EGM that lost their jobs today.

I don't understand why business people can be so stupid about business. 1up was popular because of the editorial staff, and because of the podcasts. By canceling their traffic driving podcasts and laying off most of their most popular staff, 1up.com will be a ghost town by the end of the month.

12. seven

Assessing the damage at 1UP [update] - Joystiq

The Fallen
    A lot of behind the scenes and art people but a lot of people I loved at 1up. Some slight hints on various twitters that some of them might band together and go indy.

13. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just read this. In the 90s, this was my fave along with Gamefan.

I still have 2 issues of EGM2 with Castlevania Symphony of the Night walkthroughs. In fact, I'm gonna go play now....

14. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really hope so. Alot of those guys work so well together, and produced some amazing content. 1up Yours, 1upFM, 1up Show, Lan Party(GFW), were all great shows. I really hope to see/hear these guys keep working together.

15. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'll miss EGM for its Seanbaby bad game reviews and Hsu & Chan shorts. I even bought the Hsu & Chan TPB.

And...what ever happened to Gamefan? It was my favorite magazine, then it spontaneously vanished.

16. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Shane Bettenhausen just blogged on 1up seeming to indicate that he wasn't laid off, but rather quit today after what happened. That's an interesting wrinkle if true. Shane has a peculiar and somewhat prideful way of putting things sometimes, but if he can be taken at face value here the Joystiq list may include both planned layoffs and at least a partial exodus of people quitting because of the sale and layoffs.

Shane's 1UP BlogEntry: All good things...

17. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I'm pretty saddened by all of this. The bulk of the 1up podcast have seen me through many a work week and more than that, that's a butt-ton of good folks who're not without jobs. Hopefully things work out for everybody that this turn of events has affected.

18. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Man I really hope those guys band together and get something going. F UGO!

19. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it's certainly a sad thing, but it isn't all too surprising. I grew up with EGM- reading them since 1990. But in the past 5 or 6 years they really haven't been all that great with terribly thin (literally and on content) issues and a review crew that generally didn't sit well with me. Game Informer has been a bit better, and that's isn't surprising since it has Gamestops pushing it on customers every day across the country.

Oh well, sad, but not surprising.

20. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

from the 3x big ones (EGM, Game Pro, and Game Informer), this was the best...

i used to like EGM back in the day when it had more pages (also double what it was now) and better stories at a cheaper price...