R.I.D. for future botcon set?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Crazy Ramjetty, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

I was thinking of an idea of having a future botcon set based on robots in disguise and would like some help with coming up with the set, so far I got
    optimus prime=R.T.S. grapple with new head
    megatron=voyager megatron from the 07 movie with a bit of remodeling
    scourge=R.T.S. g2 prime (it's a no processor-er)
    sky-byte=animated lugnut with new head

that's all I got so far, you have any ideas?

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    RTS G2 Prime as Scourge better NOT be a Botcon exclusive.

3. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron couldn't be made from Movie Molds so think again about that one.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    No way they'd go for that huge of a range in styles for a box set either.

5. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    does that apply to molds that arent liscensed?

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    though Sky-Bite could be RTS Lugnut instead

7. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 Well-Known Member

x brawn from classics ironhide

8. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I hope so, but RiD had such a distinctive style, it would be incredibly hard to stylistically repurpose any recent molds to fit that theme. I mean, take a look at the Autobot brothers... their construction is so different from anything thats come out of the line since then, it would just be off. Really new CHUG mold could do it either.

If they wanted to TRY though, I'd do this.

Optimus Prime: Classics Voyager Prime with a new head. The body, particualrly the legs colored the right way, it would be perfect.

Scourge = RTS G2 Prime... yup. It's gonna happen. Question is when and how.

Megatron (as Galvatron) = This is tough, but I think the best choice is a heavily repainted version of the Fallen with a new head.

This is hard, haha.

9. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I could definitely see that being the theme with the Sideburn TFCC exclusive this year and all, but I'd be more willing to bet that you'd see the other car bros (generations wheeljack mold maybe as prowl and rotf brawn or 2.0 ironhide as xbrawn) along with Scourge (g2 lazer prime repaint) and Stormjet (classics jetfire). I doubt they'd remold grapple/inferno into prime tho, just b/c they used that mold for Spark in 2010.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    RID is definitely due. I think movie molds are out for now so FP would have to use something else. I'm having the hardest time thinking of what molds to use that'd work ...

11. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    But RID Prime is a firetruck :) 

My suggestions in the Botcon '12 thread was to get Inferno as Prime, and the rest of the Autobot brothers from the Classics Autobot cars. You could use Grappel as Ultra Magnus :) 
    We could then get the Minicons as Spychangers. Predacons will be harder though since most releases lately have been of the G1 style. We'd probably have to get the Scourge mold from Cybertron and use it as RID Megatron

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMO it could be best handled by working it into the WoH continuity as post-G2 events. So Optimus Prime and Prowl are just...themselves, not needing new figures. Side Burn is already done as well. You could do Prowl and Side Burn again in power-up colors, then figure out who works for X-Brawn. who in this scenario would just be G1 Brawn. Sky-Byte is also already done.

Reason being, it's awfully hard to improve on the RiD molds, for what they are. Since the show was literally written to the toys, show-accuracy is not a problem for the most part.

Where you could have a little fun, though, is improving on the Spychanger characters. Ironhide with his RiD colors could be great fun. RiD Hot Shot, Crosswise, WARS, etc.

As far as bad guys, obviously everyone wants G2 Prime as Scourge. In fact, that seems to largely be the motivation behind suggesting this theme. Onslaught as Mega-Octane is also obvious, if not terribly exciting to me. It could be a reasonably good excuse to bring over Takara's Vortex as Rotor.

I just don't know how you'd do the rest of the Predacons though, and improve on them anyways. You can't do any of the combiners.

Like...I don't know. If I wanted RiD I would collect RiD. I don't see where to go with this. G2 Prime into Scourge, if it's not a mass release, is better suited to being a Club figure.

13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    They would probably use the movie Brawn for X-Brawn, Sideswipe for Prowl, and Tracks for Sideburn, along with a retooled Inferno for Prime, though i dunno bout the rest. sounds silly, but thats what I'd expect.

14. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yeah, kind of hard to do the 'Cons. The one that will definitely drive people into a frenzy would be Scourge. If that one comes out as a Botcon exclusive, hoo boy....:( 

15. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Doesn't FB have a rule about not reusing a mold? If so then the Inferno/Grapple mold is off the table.

They can't use ROTF Brawn because of it being a movie line figure. Even non movie characters are off the table as of now.

In all honesty, if RID Scourge gets released as a BotCon or Club exclusive, there are gonna be a lot of pissed off RID fans, well at least the ones that aren't able to afford it.

16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They used to, but they've been going back to the same wells more often lately. The Classics Starscream mold got used again this year after last being used in 2007, and they used Universe 2.0 Sunstreaker both in the 2010 boxset and as Punch/Counterpunch. Prevailing theory is they'll try to avoid mold reuse, but if it works, they won't rule it out just because they've used it before.

I think the key to determining whether a "movie" mold can be used or not is whether the packaging carries the Paramount/DreamWorks logo. I'm thinking ROTF Brawn does not (I could be wrong), which means he should be fair game.

17. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I think all of the Movie figures, including the sublines have the Paramount logo on them. But I'm pretty sure that FB and Hasbro have both said that all Movie related molds are off limits as of now because of their agreement with Paramount, but who knows, next year could be a totally different story.

You are totally right about them re-using molds, forgot about the Classics Screamer mold being used again this year. But the real question is, would they reuse the Inferno/Grapple mold this soon with it just used in 2010? But then again, the real question is, will the 2012 theme even be RID? It's really a wait and see game.

18. Star Saber

News Credits:
    When does FP normally announce their theme? Is it before the ordering date for their sets?

19. John ofthe Dead

John ofthe Dead Well-Known Member

Ebay:

20. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

This. Scourge needs a full retail release.