Quiz: Which Classics/Universe/Generations etc figures have cybertronian alt modes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unicronic, Jul 2, 2012.

1. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So with FOC figures out and more to come plus the game I wanted to see what figures we've seen in the past fit into the Cybertronian aesthetic.

For the purpose of focus, just Classics, Henkei, Universe and Generations/RTS

Repaints from other lines are allowed if they are re-purposed for the above lines e.g. Ratbat. WFC/FOC aren't included here because they're obvious.

I'll start (but won't name all the ones I know):

Classics Jetfire
    Universe Ratbat
    Universe Sharkticon

Over to you guys

2. GAUGE

GAUGE Transformers Fan since 1985

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Wrong on all 3 counts.

Jetfire's bot mode was loosely based on storm bringer jetfire, however the jet-mode was not.

the last 2 you mentioned werent cybertronian modes they were just mere repaints from past lines.

as it stands, there was no cybertronian modes on the what you call CHUG lines. repaints from old lines don't count :p 

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Scourge/Sweeps
    Cyclonus

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Cyclonus, yes. Scourge, no. That's an Earth mode.

5. GAUGE

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Scourge was based on a real concept of a passenger jet.

Cyclonus Hotrod, and Wreckgar and the repaints were closer to their movie counterparts though.

I guess you could consider Darkmount's alt mode cybertronian.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    No, it's deffinately Earth-based.

7. GAUGE

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    no way.

I'm sorry but if the tank were real it would be huge in scale. or did you not see the cab part of the tank. it would be larger than a mining dump truck.

8. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OP asked for "Cybertron Aesthetic" and said repaints worked. I'd argue Jetfire fits as his Earthmode jet is pretty alien.

If you're counting repaints and going for the aesthetic rather than a strict Cybertron mode, Classics Blaster, Scourge, Cyclonus all easily count. I'd make an argument that the Fansproject augmented Superion set can work as the resulting planes are definitely alien looking.

You also have Thunderwing and his repaint Sky Shadow (right?) who technically have Earthmodes, but are off enough they're a bit alien. Darkmount (Straxus) and Skullgrin are worth mentioning.

Past that I think the rest are too clearly earth based to qualify.

9. Soundwinder

A big tank, yes, but definitely not Cybertronian.

10. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just the WFC and FOC figures

11. Soundwinder

I'd agree with Superion, though. Air Raid/Airrazor both feel pretty Cybertronian, Silverbolt is borderline. Fireflight/Skydive, though, are pretty perfect A-10s. So... it's a bit of an odd mix.

Scourge is definitely an Earth-mode. Boeing X-48 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thunderwing's alt-mode is just an F-22 with the wings of an F-16XL. Okay, the drone is obviously new, but that doesn't make it any less of an Earth mode than, say, Hi-Q makes PM Prime.

Futuristic, sure. But no less of an Earth mode than Windcharger.

I still don't think that Darkmount counts as Cybertronian.

12. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

If the OP says that repaints from earlier lines are allowed in the thread, than they are allowed.

Darkmount is not a tank. He's a Self-propelled_artillery, the G6 howitzer to be exact. So yeah, definitely Earth-based.

13. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    The War Within figures from the Titanium line had quite a few that would work well with them.

14. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, and just going on molds made for the Classics/Universe 2/RtS/Generations lines:

-Cyclonus
    -Galvatron (he is futuristic enough)
    -Megatron (Ultimate Battle Tank version, Nerf version is iffy).
    -RtS/United Rumble & Frenzy (even if Hasbro never bothers to release them)

I wouldn't count Hot Rod, as even his G1 version was based on a concept car, or Grimlock since mechanical dinosuars don't have earth version to be compared to.

+-MWG-+

15. Soundwinder

Rumble's definitely Earth-mode. Deluxe Megatron is as well, there's really nothing alien to his alt-mode. I would, incidentally, absolutely count Voyager Megatron. It's clearly a gun, but clearly not an Earth one, much like G1 Shockwave.
    Self-propelled anti-aircraft weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Scroll down, there's a weapon that looks pretty much identical to Rumble.

Galvatron is... weird. He's got a very accurate Earth-mode (including markings which is usually a dead giveaway of an assumed form) but... then it has Galvatron's big ol' cannon of ridiculousness.

16. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Deluxe tank Megs has that silly looking primary cannon that is definitely sci-fi, plus the goofy ribbed-looking chest, all the bronze-looking circuitry parts, and four tank treads (which, incidentally, reminded me of H-tank style Warpath). He isn't what I would call "modern realistic". Galvatron is a Merkava base, but very tech-ed up (like the rockets on the rear of the sides).

+-MWG-+

17. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I'm amazed no-one mentioned Vector Prime...

I'd also class RTS Strafe (he's in a Classics line, so he gets counted as a Classics figure to me) as having a Cybertronian alt mode, since it only has a loose resemblance to a real aircraft, and the colours are far'n'away too wacky.

Universe Dropshot/Overload could also sort of work as Cybertronian forms, as again, the resemblance to anything real is loose, and with the extra cannons displayed there's really no argument that it's an accurate Earth-mode.

And why don't we say Darkmount's crappy 'third-mode' is the Cybertronian form. :p 

Otherwise i'd say Cyclonus, Jetfire/Treadbolt, Blaster and Thunderwing/Sky Shadow could arguably be Cybertronian - let's face it, there aren't any current aircraft that match them perfectly.

Some of the Universe scout releases like Ransack GTS & Breakdown are definitely Cybertronian too.

18. Soundwinder

Good point about Vector Prime, I forgot he was released in Universe in that inexplicably brown wave.

Dropshot/Overload isn't Cybertronian at all: TOS-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ditto Strafe. The color scheme is out there, but the design is about a hair's breadth away from just being an F-117 Nighthawk. It's not a perfect match, but it's very clearly terrestrial.

Oh, similarly to Ratbat, there's also Dirge from the Comic 2-pack that came with Roadbuster.

19. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Dirge is a good one, I forgot about him!

On DS/OL, I think he varies just enough from the TOS-1 (especially with all those cyber-key weapons deployed!) to work, if you want him to.

You're right about Strafe, but he does look a lot like the designs of Cybertronian jets that've been drawn in the past; with the futuristic cockpit, stabilizers, and Energon-y bits inside his wings...

20. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Universe Blaster. The cybertron soundwave redeco.

I'd go ahead and recommend a lot of the old cybertronian alt modes in cybertron/galaxy force. There pretty great.

Primus, Metroplex, Menasor, Scrapmetal, Vector Prime, Sideways, Megatron, and Starscream.

Brakedown, Crumplezone, and ransack can work, but their more of a stretch. Still I think the techy dragracers, and the tron light cycle feels at home on cybertron.

See what I did listing Primus as a cybertronian Alt mode?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012