Quitting smoking with Chantix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LamboTwinLove, Jun 8, 2012.

1. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Hello everyone!

I am officially trying to quit smoking and using chantix to help me with that. I know it' not going to be easy but it will be worth it to quit.

I took the first Chantix pill this morning and so far I'm feeling good. No side effects yet. So I was thinking maybe I should start a thread to document my experience with chantix. It might help other who might think the drug will help them as well. And it will also give me some support while I go through this.

So I will try to update this thread daily on how I'm doing and what's going on and talk about Chantix if anyone wants to know about it.

Now I won't talk the drug up because I am not a doctor but I can tell you the basics of it. It's a 12 week program. You get the first 4 weeks as one perscription. I was told that most patients quit within the 4 week and don't need to continue on with the other 8 weeks.

We shall see how I do!! Updates will be added to this post to keep them in order.

Day 1 Friday June 8th:
    First pill taken after arriving at work at about 8:30. Went the whole day feeling a little tired but think this was due to work being extremely slow. When I did have something to do I felt good. No side effects to report. Drove home from work (35-40 min drive) Usually smoke 2 cigarettes on the way home. Smoked none! Will see tomorrow how things go!

Day 2 Saturday June 9th:
    Second pill taken in the am. The first 3 days of treatment you take one pill a day. Mosquito flew at me in the kitchen and I swatted at it. Mom thought I was hallucinating till I found the stupid bug. Thought that was kinda funny. Still feeling good. Last night I did not have any unusual dreams or night terrors which is a side effect of this drug. Though I'm not too worried about it. I am used to have nightmares about zombies so I'm thinking I should be okay.

Day 3 Sunday June 10th:
    Third pill taken in the am. Again, no unusual dreams last night. I've noticed that I'm able to go longer without a smoke especially driving. Still feeling good and no signs of any side effects except one side effect is unusual taste. Yesterday my sister and I went out to eat and got some snow crab, I do not like butter on my snow crab but yesterday that butter tasted amazing on it. So, I'm not going to complain about that if it was a side effect.

Day 4 Monday June 11th:
    This is the day I got from one pill a day to 2 pills a day. Took the first pill in the am. Everything went good. Got to leave work early because we were dead slow. YAY! Got some back logged TF comics and chilled at home the rest of the day/evening. Took the second pill round 4. No strange dreams Sunday night or other side effects.

Day 5 Tuesday June 12th:
    second day of 2 pills a day. Took the first one when I got to work. All alone in the office today because my supervisor is not feeling well. Work is slow and boring. Been feeling less of an urge to smoke and noticing that smoking tastes different. I smoke menthols and before I liked how they tasted. And now I'm starting to dislike it. No crazy dreams last night aside from one where I was at some strange Vegas Transformers/gambling convention. It was a really odd combination and I was the only one to get an MP Sunstreaker. I was not the favored geek in this dream!

Day 6 Wednesday June 13th:
    So far things are really going good. Pill schedule works out well and I'm starting to really notice that cigarettes taste like shit. I'm going a good bit longer between just to avoid the taste and because I'm finding I don't need them as often as I did before. Still no unusual dreams and the big side effect that kept me on the fence about this drug for awhile. NO DEPRESSION, if anything I'm happier then I was before. I've been a lot more social then I was being before. We have a pool in the back yard and I rarely go in it these days but my sis had people over and I went out and spent the whole day having a blast... even though I got burned bad. Which is why I stopped really doing the pool thing. Also starting tonight I'm getting back into some gaming! Picking an old Pathfinder character back for a game with some great people over Skype. So I'm thinking I'm making a lot of good choices in the days since I made this choice.

Day 7 Thursday June 14th:
    Today I stayed home from work sick. Not from the pills. A coworker got me sick. Blah. Cigarettes are starting to make me sick to my stomach. Yuck!

Day 8 Friday June 15th:
    At working feeling like a train hit me from being sick. This is the start of week 2. The dosage goes up on the pills. Smoking makes me feel like puking. Went 4 hours without one, longest I've gone and then got really pissed off with idiots that I work with screwing me over. Data for a job I did with 8 splits was redone after I spun the set ups files. No one told me. So QC is checking them and there are issues with the data they are using which was altered versus my set ups which used the unaltered data. NO ONE KNEW what was going on because I was doing everything right and so was QC. Come to find out changes were done and no one decided to tell anyone else. Got pissed. Went out smoked a cig and it's just yucky. Wish I didn't do it.

Day 9 Saturday June 16th:
    Smoked only 1 and a half cigarettes today. Feeling good!! Unless I smell my moms cigarettes. They make me gag. Trying to use this to get it into my head how disgusting smoking is so I won't think about it.

Day 10 Sunday June 17th:
    Happy Fathers Day! Hanging out with my dad and family. The cutting back has been dramatic. I can't stand the taste or smell of smoking now. Puffed a few times to test getting sick or not and gave my last pack with only 3 smoked to my sister.

Day 11 Monday June 18th:
    Went the whole day without smoking a single cigarette!!!

Day 12 Tuesday June 19th:
    Second day without smoking!! Feeling good!

Day 13 Wednesday June 20th:
    Day 3 and still not smoking. There are moments where I think about it more then others. Like that after a meal smoke or the I'm bored smoke. But I've been able to ignore those thoughts and urges. I've been stores several times and I don't even think to ask for any. Which is good!

Day 14 Thursday June 21th:
    Still not smoking!!

Day 15 Friday June 22th:
    Still not smoking!!

Day 16 Saturday June 23th:
    Still not smoking!!

Day 17 Sunday June 24th:
    Still not smoking!!

Day 18 Monday June 25th:
    Still not smoking!!

Day 19 Tuesday June 26th:
    Still not smoking!! 9 DAYS!!!!

Day 20 Wednesday June 27th:
    Still not smoking. My sense of smell is getting better... and wow I have smelled smoke on smokers and now I feel bad for smelling like that! 10 Days!

Day 21 Thursday June 28th:

Still not smoking. 11 Days! Tomorrow I start the last week of the initial 4 week treatment. Not sure if I'm going to need the rest of the meds or not yet. I wouldn't think so. But who knows.

2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

good luck to ya!

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Definitely let us know if you start growing hair on the inside of your mouth, or something.

Seriously though, I hope this works out too, and when it does, we'll forever have something to link people to when jokingly preaching that drugs are the answer. :D 

4. LamboTwinLove

Thank you!!

lol I will keep everyone up to date on all hair growing lol

I hope it works too. It will be a big accomplishment that will save me money and my health. And make me more desirable to date lol.

HAHA! Now that's funny. Sometimes drugs are the answer. It all depends on what the issue and what the drugs are.

5. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Good luck. I've heard you can almost totally reverse the damage done to the lungs, if you quit early enough (i.e. before Lung Cancer).

My Mom and I got my Dad to quit smoking way back in the '80s with CigArrest, or whatever it was called. I'm sure Chantix works better than that shit.

6. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Oh definitely, and I'm sure that she'll kick it to the curb (combiner style) sooner or later.

Also if nothing else, our Lambo assassin will have more money for Transformers. That alone seems like pretty strong motivation, even if better health & better down time from boys don't do it.

7. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Good luck.
    I tried Chantix twice. The first time I got them through the VA but they would only give me a months supply because of it increasing suicidal thoughts and Veterans are at higher risk for suicide than other groups. Worked great until I ran out.
    The second time I talked to an urgent care doctor when I took my daughter in and asked if he would write me a script for them. He did but this time the pills made me feel real sick so I stopped taking them.

Chuck

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good luck! I quite 8 years ago, and Damn was that a struggle.

9. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

smells like advertising this thread is

10. LamboTwinLove

Thanks everyone!

My father took Chantix 3 years ago and has been smoke free since. He did only the 4 week part of the program and had no side effects.

So here's hoping I'm as lucky as he was!

11. LamboTwinLove

Oh, I'm not trying to do that. I mean if it works for me I would recommend anyone trying to go speak to a doc about it but that's it. And I don't even know if it will work lol.

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yep. :) 

Also about the advertising comment, I get how someone could think that from the title alone (bots like to be catchy hah), but once you actually enter the room or even look at who posted it (aka, even if you have no idea who she is, you can see its a decently established member), this just seems to just be a discussion thread relating to the product, not something solely meant to advertise the said product.

13. LamboTwinLove

Yeah.. and if I were gonna advertise anything I would advertise how delicious Maryland blue crabs are and tell you to come to Maryland. But I won't. Because that means more crabs for me lol

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, and if I was gonna advertise, I'd probably tell people to buy my overpriced (yet arguably still a steal by comparison) ROTF Megatron, but I won't do that because not managing to sell it means more Megatron for me. :D 

Seriously though, I can't see too many people making the same mistake, especially once it gets more posts. Or crabs, whichever.

15. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Some people quit cold turkey. The thing many of them say is "If I can do it, anybody can do it." Good things aren't supposed to be easy, they're supposed to be hard. Yes, you could use aids to get you through it, but ultimately, you have the potential to do it on your own. It's just going to be more uncomfortable that way. So you have to make a decision: you want to quit and maintain your comfort, or do you want to quit and forsake comfort, but use it as an opportunity to strengthen your self-discipline?

The reason so many can't quit for good and start up again is they just can't break that comfort addiction. It's just not a chemical thing, it's a psychological thing. If you can get to the bottom of *why* it is that you have to put that cig in your mouth and puff and what you get out of it, then you can finally get to work on re-educating yourself and learning to function without it.

Good luck!

16. ABH1979

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    heh, the funny thing is, my Dad actually wound up quitting cold-turkey, because even though we got him the program to quit, he never read the directions. So the whole time where he was supposed to slowly cut back, he just stopped altogether. I guess skipping the directions isn't always that bad.

17. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Good for him.

It's possible. Smokers who wish to quit should focus on all of those who have quit before them and be inspired to follow the same example. Just tell yourself, "Do the possible." It's possible to quit, and it's possible to do it cold turkey. There are countless examples of people who have done it. So why not you? What's different about your situation that makes it so much more difficult than the discomfort and struggle that all the others went through?

18. ABH1979

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Yeah, a lot of time it's about the support group and whether or not they are smokers.

19. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

That might be the problem right there. You want things easy. When a person recognizes and accepts that "easy" is not good, then progress starts to happen, and potential starts getting realized.

20. LamboTwinLove

Yeah, it was easier to hang out with my friends and smoke a lot less because the vast majority of my friends don't smoke. But now that we're older we all have different lives and rarely get time to hang out like the old days.

But either way I would still end up coming home to the family of smokers.